Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Trailer Buzz: CATCHING FIRE Sparks Record Twitter Activity

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...witter-activity

To hardly any surprise, last week's online debut of the first teaser trailer for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was a huge success. On April 15, the trailer helped drive the film to 118,095 tweets in a single day. That broke Iron Man 3's 105,970 single day tweet record for a teaser debut on October 23, 2012, which previously topped The Hobbit's 103,225 on December 21, 2011.

To offer more perspective, that number represented a 2,472 percent increase over the previous day's Twitter activity--comparable toThe Hobbit's 2,779 percent jump (and way ahead of Iron Man 3's 641 percent). More...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Mattrek Loves Del Toro

Mattrek Loves Del Toro

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 58 topics
  • LocationVictoria
The fact that the hobbit held the record just goes to show its the hardcore fans that tweet multiple times that drive the numbers. It's great to hold the record, no doubt and I do believe CF has 400m potential, but I don't think twitter is a good barometer for the massive success the movie will have.
Box Office Total Game!

Put your box office knowledge to the test! Let's see who really is the best predictor on the site for the year! Come one come all!

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,964 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

All is going according to the plan.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- Nightcrawler - 11/32 | Before I Go To Sleep - 3/7 

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 62/237

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/24

- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - 162/410

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,960 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 58 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Hobbits trailer was released a year in advance and definitely created a lot of interest and excitement. Then for some reason WB went seven months without releasing anything

The Futurist

The Futurist

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts
  • Joined March 27, 2012
  • 14 topics
  • LocationFederal Reserve

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

IF WE BURN, YOU BURN WITH US

Jandrew

Jandrew

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,181 posts
  • Joined December 15, 2011
  • 13 topics
  • LocationThe Palmetto State
# of tweets and trailer views are ones that tend to have more bias towards movies like this and that has be to taken accordingly. These movies also have fan clubs which drive it up as well. I would tweet about Hunger Games and get a bunch of retweets, one or two from friends, from mostly from fan clubs. Just type in Hunger Games and you'll see what I mean, then type in something like Despicable Me. This will be big, but I don't trust tweet numbers that much.

Edited by jandrew, 23 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

IS INTERSTELLAR THE NEXT BIG SPACE DISCOVERY? PLEASE READ HERE! THANKS!

http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2014/10/is-interstellar-next-big-discovery.html

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

The fact that the hobbit held the record just goes to show its the hardcore fans that tweet multiple times that drive the numbers. It's great to hold the record, no doubt and I do believe CF has 400m potential, but I don't think twitter is a good barometer for the massive success the movie will have.

I think if it were that simple, though, Breaking Dawn and the Twilight films would have posted stronger showings. The fan base is a huge part of it, yes, but even on Twitter it takes a significant amount of interest from a wide range of people to drive numbers this high.

Hobbit didn't lack mainstream interest a year out from release--it just lost some of that momentum later in 2012 when buzz around the movie tapered off because of lowering expectations. That's why correlations between Twitter activity and box office can be misleading without deeper analysis (just like it is with everything else). Every movie has a unique set of circumstances.

Edited by ShawnMR, 23 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

TLK

TLK

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • 11 topics

But it is to be expected. The trailer debuted during MTV Movie awards so the Worldwide audience for it was in millions. I don't think this is such an overwhelming number, all things considered.

Mattrek Loves Del Toro

Mattrek Loves Del Toro

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts
  • 58 topics
  • LocationVictoria

I think if it were that simple, though, Breaking Dawn and the Twilight films would have posted stronger showings. The fan base is a huge part of it, yes, but even on Twitter it takes a significant amount of interest from a wide range of people to drive numbers this high.Hobbit didn't lack mainstream interest a year out from release--it just lost some of that momentum later in 2012 when buzz around the movie tapered off because of lowering expectations. That's why correlations between Twitter activity and box office can be misleading without deeper analysis (just like it is with everything else). Every movie has a unique set of circumstances.

Why would they post stronger showings if it's just the fanbase tweeting over and over again? I agree it's difficult to pinpoint the difference between fan twitter activity and the general public and I also agree that CF has huge anticipation levels, but I don't think twitter is a very good metric to showcase that power. I would be more impressed with reviews or fb activity or even trailer views then I would over twitter.
Box Office Total Game!

Put your box office knowledge to the test! Let's see who really is the best predictor on the site for the year! Come one come all!

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,479 posts
  • Joined March 24, 2012
  • 35 topics
  • LocationToronto

CF has a rapid fanbase but for it to get to the epic levels of THG it needs to draw in general audiences.

I imagine the film will focus more on the revolution and stuff as that is what makes the film interesting to non fans like myself and friends.

I personally will not watch the film as I found THG marketing to be misleading but if its interesting I may watch it. 

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

Alpha

Alpha

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,267 posts
  • Joined October 09, 2012
  • 101 topics
  • LocationI am Groot.
Lots of tweets. Awesome!

9e7.gif

OM-NUM-NUM-NUM-NUM

Fake

Fake

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • 38 topics
  • LocationIndia

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...witter-activity

You know what I am gonna say....... :P

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney

You know what I am gonna say....... :P

$200m OW!

iceroll

iceroll

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts
  • 208 topics
I get how rabid fans would watch the trailer multiple times, but what's the point of retweeting the same thing over and over again? Anyway, this figure is very promising for my country 8)

n7JjOiQ.gif

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time

Ceremony underway now! Visit here

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon
They talk about it loads and retweet everytime they talk about it I imagine!

aDIM Stormborn

aDIM Stormborn

Global Phenomenon

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,546 posts
  • 39 topics
118,000 tweets? That's it? CF will be lucky to have 118m OW :rolleyes:

Edited by aDIM, 23 April 2013 - 05:57 PM.

15ib194.jpg

DAME 2014: When will your faves?

Wormy

Wormy

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationPanem, Australia

Amazing results, though I highly doubt CF, TH and IM3 only generated around 100,000 tweets on the first day. It'd be a lot higher than that.

tumblr_mzrh55xwGl1rp0vjjo2_250.gif

Olive's Strings

Olive's Strings

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,272 posts
  • Joined March 26, 2012
  • 51 topics
  • LocationKnowhere

THOR:THE DARK WORLD buzz is insane!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users