Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BoxOffice.com: Can OBLIVION Join the $100 Million Domestic Club?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,413 posts

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...n-domestic-club

On paper, Oblivion has everything it needs to become a hit: two major stars, a big-budget sci-fi concept, and visuals which promise to be worthy of the big screen.

Those facts didn't stop the film from trailing comparable films across social network buzz two weeks ago. Things have since improved slightly with Oblivion generating 12,294 tweets over the last five days. That still significantly trails the 21,506 of Prometheus one week before release, but Oblivion has at least pulled ahead of John Carter's 6,745 during the same time frame. The positive-to-negative ratio has also improved to a strong 18.8-to-1.

There's still room for concern, though...

Edited by ShawnMR, 11 April 2013 - 08:23 AM.

Predictions: Transcendence (17/46) | TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/269)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,771 posts
  • LocationPortugal

33/89

Survivor Winner: Season 2 and Season 3!

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,943 posts
  • Locationmember of clone club
38/100
Hail Nolan

ChD

ChD

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

41/105

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

21m9k6c_th.gif

ChD

ChD

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Even if Iron Man 3 opens two weeks later, it doesn't mean the movie is going to go straight down... Iron Man 3 is a franchise movie - you already know what's happening and stuff... There are people who would pay to see a original sci-fi movie instead of a sequel.

I would, at least.

• Ozymandias likes this

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

21m9k6c_th.gif

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,654 posts
  • LocationCarcosa

It can and it will. :)

• Michael Tyrion Scott likes this

xCu1siO.gif

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

I don't think so. 27/65

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,602 posts
  • LocationChina

I don't think so. 27/65

:ph34r:

• Alpha likes this

tumblr_mnsgbbvbXn1s20ivko1_250.gif

Clavius

Clavius

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationUS
It would be a disaster if this didn't hit $100m. I am confident it will and I also think older audiences might prefer this over IM3 so it won't necessarily collapse in May.
  • Ozymandias likes this

bapi

bapi

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic
I don't see any interest in this movie. 31/85
Just really want Pep Guardiola's slim fit suit.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C
This trailer has shown more than any film in my local theaters since it debuted, and not once in the ten plus times I saw it did it garner anything close to buzz or positive feedback. it has all the elements of a hit, but it seems so vanilla and heartless. I say 32/80
IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Jay Hollywood

Jay Hollywood

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationNo Ho

Ouch, predicts for this are dropping like flys!

42/111 for now. 

fc7d665b-06cd-4091-91d0-c45246c52fd1.jpg

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,546 posts
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home

36/101

slayermspaint.png

Gazz

Gazz

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

I think it'll scrape over $100m if word-of-mouth is kind.

I want it to do well as an original sci-fi film but Oblivion is also a very self contained story that doesn't make a claim to become another franchise film (a real plus imo), so it won't be a big loss for new fans if it somewhat under performs. 

• zackzack likes this

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I'm probably gonna see this later this weekend and even if I end up not liking it, I hope its successful because its an original scifi flick,  And by original, I mean its not a sequel or remake with any source material.

Edited by Shpongle, 11 April 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Alpha

Alpha

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • LocationThe distant future.

OW: $35M

FG: $100M

It'll just barely hit it. At this point $120 million is the roof.

Lady Daenerys SNOW-STARK

Lady Daenerys SNOW-STARK

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Locationlittle rock under the scorching sun, CARIBBEAN

i only recently saw an ad for this in french and was totally clueless about it, they were interviewing the girl who's a french actress in it! 

1/granted me and tom actor/fan marriage ended once he jumped on the couch ...water under the bridge now 

2/ i have eyes only for star trek XII and iron man3 i'm not fan-girling over anything else , that i can recall...

but this film looks good , i'll be watching for the story!

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" LOTR (real fans watch the extended editions)

"it is not pleasant for me to say these things but i must tell you the truth while i can, proving myself your friend by the most faithful counsel trusting that sometimes you'll do my faith in you greater justice than you do it now" Mr Knightley to Emma

winter_in_coming_by_deviantartds-d6feeit

WileECoyote

WileECoyote

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts
  • LocationChasing the roadrunner...
I think it'll get past 100. This is a more of a sci-fi play and there's probably enough fans to get it there.

Rudolf

Rudolf

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

hoping for 100+ too

Posted Image

kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip