Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BoxOffice.com Analysis: What Happened to the Spoof?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ed-to-the-spoof

Remember when Austin Powersdominated most summer movies? How often do you find yourself getting sucked into Spaceballs or Airplane! on TV?

Now you ask yourself the same question about BASEketballDisaster Movie, andMacGruber. Even if you do remember those, you likely don't want to. There's an even stronger likelihood, based on their box office results, that you never even saw them.

Granted, the spoof genre has never been a consistent success. Even during the hey-day of the legendary Mel Brooks, his success with films like History of the World, Part I (one of the two original modern-day spoofs and earner of a solid $31.7 million in 1981), Spaceballs, and Robin Hood: Men In Tights spawned a number of imitators that many never heard about.

• RichWS likes this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,014 posts
  • Locationmember of clone club
Hey I liked McGruber lol
  • Gopher, Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum and JackO like this
Hail Nolan

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,250 posts
  • LocationFinland

The spoof has gone from "Lets actually make jokes about the cliches of a genre" to "Hey kids, you recognize THIS? And THIS? Check out this celebrity impersonator! And look, someone got punched in the face!"

• vc2002, DAR, Gopher and 4 others like this

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

ChD

ChD

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

I think from all the movies you mentioned in that article, Shawn, I've seen all but two.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

21m9k6c_th.gif

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Hey I liked McGruber lol

Yeah, that one's pretty funny. I quite like BASEketball too.

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

MacGruber was awesome, I really liked it. Reminds me I should watch MacGruber 

807774021.jpg?1378862958

grim22

grim22

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

The problem is that spoof movies have now become "Reference movies". Instead of jokes about a genre, they are now "Hey, remember this - this was funny!!"

Spoof movies can still work if done right, the last spoof movie I remember actually liking was "Not another teen movie". 

• ShawnMR and Dragon like this

Superman has Thor's hammer and Captain America's shield

i8BAqDi.jpg

Your argument is invalid

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,250 posts
  • LocationFinland

Lately the closest we've come to a good spoof has been Black Dynamite, and even that overstayed its welcome imo

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

Lately the closest we've come to a good spoof has been Black Dynamite, and even that overstayed its welcome imo

I adored Black Dynamite! 

• Spaghetti, Gopher and TLK like this

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

btw I was dragged to see Disaster Movie and it was the worst. It felt like the makers just watched a bunch of trailers on youtube and just just brought characters into the film for no reason. Compare that to something like Walk Hard where it's obvious the makers closely watched movies like Walk The Line and Ray so they could throw in and make fun of all those cliched elements to make a good parody.

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,250 posts
  • LocationFinland

I adored Black Dynamite! 

OH GOOOOOOD FOR YOU

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,250 posts
  • LocationFinland

btw I was dragged to see Disaster Movie and it was the worst. It felt like the makers just watched a bunch of trailers on youtube and just just brought characters into the film for no reason. Compare that to something like Walk Hard where it's obvious the makers closely watched movies like Walk The Line and Ray so they could throw in and make fun of all those cliched elements to make a good parody.

Aw shit I totally forgot Walk Hard. That movie is hilarious!

• Michael Tyrion Scott likes this

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

Spottswoode

Spottswoode

Formerly Phil in the Blank

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts
  • LocationAustralia mate

Basketball is an instant classic damnit!

• CoolioD1 and Dragon like this

gx8.gif

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,432 posts
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
The problem, imo, with the Wayans Scary Movies is that they went from intelligent spoofing in the first to films just about dick and fart and pussy and puke and shit and as much gross stuff as you could put in it. The Wayans are funny and they are talented, but they really messed it up. They made a funny first film and an abomination in the second.
  • CJohn and DAR like this

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

Friedberg and Seltzer happened 

• baumer and DAR like this

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

TLK

TLK

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

No one ever mentions Tucker And Dale VS Evil . It is a fairly recent movie and is far better than some of the old classic spoofs.

• baumer and Dragon like this

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,013 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

I'll echo the MacGruber love.

Punishment

Punishment

Star Wars - The Standard

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Hopefully they stay MIA where they belong.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

So MacGruber does have fans!

:P

• RichWS and Michael Tyrion Scott like this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,035 posts

So MacGruber does have fans!

:P

http://www.mediamark...-macgruber-fan/

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users