Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOXOFFICE.com Social Network Futures: PAIN & GAIN Muscles Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Full Article: http://www.boxoffice...gain-muscles-up

When you say the name "Michael Bay", the last words you expect to hear in the same sentence are "smaller scale". But that's exactly what the Transformers director has gone for with his latest flick,Pain & Gain. Due for release on April 26, the bodybuilding-action-crime hybrid marks his first non-Transformers flick in nearly eight years (all the way back to 2005's The Island).

This time, he's brought along two A-list actors whose box office credentials have progressively begun to impress over the last couple of years. Headliner Mark Wahlberg had a fantastic 2012 with hits like Ted and Contraband, while Dwayne Johnson also continues to make a star name for himself thanks to his popular supporting turn in 2011's Fast Five, last year's Journey 2, and recently, G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

Even his lead in Snitch this year proved to go over well with audiences--that film debuted to a modest $13.2 million but has legged it's way out to $41.5 million since.

All of that said, how does Pain & Gain stack up when it comes to pre-release buzz? The answer: very well...

Edited by ShawnMR, 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,339 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,807 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
I disagree with filmnerdjamie....this will not plummett in the coming weeks. It's going to be zany enough to keep people coming back. I think Bay is a genius, much to the laughter of many of the members here, but imo, he is one of the three best directors working today. So to see him with a smaller budget that is more concerned with character is really exciting. This movie is the reason I am starting the Summer Game early.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,348 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
I hate Bay for what he is doing to TMNT but he does make entertaining movies. Calling him a genius though I wouldn't go that far lol.
Hail Nolan

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

I hate Bay for what he is doing to TMNT but he does make entertaining movies. Calling him a genius though I wouldn't go that far lol.

Is it really fair to judge TMNT before we actually see something from it, though?

As for P&G, I do think it's limited to a niche audience. Were it not for Bay+Rock+Wahlberg and IM3 opening the week after, I'd be completely convinced that legs would be strong through April. I think they still can be to an extent, but, unless this just opens really low and great WOM kicks in, it's probably destined to be at least a little front-loaded. By that, I mean something like a 2.5-2.75x multiplier. Even with a big drop on May 3-5, it could easily rebound on May 10-12. Gatsby won't hurt it won't a bit.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

C00k13

C00k13

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 8 topics
  • LocationLa Suede

IM3 is going to take a toll on just about every movie (that usually happens with summer starters) but if WOM is good P&G should rebound later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users