Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN: What Went Right?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,413 posts

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ght-for-mon-325

Director Antoine Fuqua's Olympus Has Fallen exceeded all expectations this past weekend with an impressive $30.5 million opening frame (pending actual results later today). That bested the director's previous best opening of $22.6 million from 2001's Training Day, but more importantly it represents the best opening from an action film in 2013 so far.

Beyond that, Olympus smashed distributor FilmDistrict's previous best opening weekend (Red Dawn's $14.3 million in November). The film is locked to become both Fuqua's and FilmDistrict's highest grossing domestic release yet.

What went right? The signs for the film weren't outright horrible going into Friday but metrics like Twitter, Flixster, and Facebook were pointing to a more modest opening. The simple is answer that Olympus capitalized on and offered what A Good Day to Die Hard failed to last month: a popcorn action flick with an appealing concept and strong ensemble cast. Some audiences--which have given Olympus a solid "A-" CinemaScore--have lovingly referred to it as "Die Hard in the White House".

Edited by ShawnMR, 25 March 2013 - 09:01 AM.

• baumer likes this

Predictions: Transcendence (17/46) | TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/269)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
IMO, originality might not be something that you can use to describe Olympus, but imo, it fits. The story is derived from many action films with Die Hard being the most obvious. There is even a scene in Olympus where Mike is talking to his wife on cell (after he has been injured) and he is telling her that he loves her, and he is picking a piece of glass out of his body. Kind of like Die Hard when McClane is telling Powell to tell his wife he loves her, while picking glass out of his feet.

BUT!!

Taking down the White House and shooting up Washington DC is original. We have never seen a movie that does this. I know Hollywood doesn't need permission to make fictional movies, but my impression is that they did seek some kind of permission from Washington. And after Wash said "Sure no problem, just make sure the bad guys taking over the WH is about as probable as there really being a Santa Clause," they did it.

That was the hook for me. And that hook worked. The taking of the White House is breath taking and it is one of the best action sequences in any film.

I know some of the members here don't like it when i bash the critics, but I'm going to do it again. Critics hate this movie for all the reasons we as paying movie goers like it. It's over the top, cliched, has some cookie cutter dialogue and the action never lets up. Maybe they wanted more character development. Maybe they wanted less cliche. But when you have dialogue like, "Let's you and I play a game of Fuck Off, you go first." and the crowd erupts with laughter, you know exactly why you paid 12 bucks for the film, because it entertains you.

There have been a lot of action films that have outright tanked this year. Statham doing Statham stuff, Arnold looking old and Sly looking too botoxed just won't cut it anymore (unless they are in the film together). But put a very impressive cast together and give it a very good director and make it larger than life and you have a hit. I think it worked because it blended originality with a splash of homage to some of the action films of the past.

I think this will be remembered in 20 years as one of the defining action films of our time.

Edited by baumer, 25 March 2013 - 09:23 AM.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationCarcosa

Is it R?

xCu1siO.gif

WINston churCHILL

WINston churCHILL

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationPresiding over London

Morgan Freeman

If you're going through hell, KEEP GOING.

Clavius

Clavius

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationUS

In addition to Die Hard completely tanking, I think general audiences are sick of action heroes being boys and not men. Especially when it comes to older demographics, WHD features a cast that is not only talented but believable in their roles. 

Edited by Clavius, 25 March 2013 - 09:24 AM.

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts

Is it R?

In the US, yes, here in Canada it is 14A.

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Oh great that means Gerard Butler will make five more years of crappy romantic comedies.

• Lordmandeep likes this

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,988 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Right movie at the right time. Action movies have been scarce since Skyfall (the awful looking Die Hard notwithstanding) and this, with an interesting hook and a few recognizable actors, filled the void

iNmEH.gif

grim22

grim22

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Me and a couple of friends had seen it at an advance screening around 3 weeks ago. Once the movie was done, the first thing that almost all of us said was "That felt more like a Die Hard movie than the actual Die Hard movie from last month".

In hindsight, the movie has large plotholes, side-plots which seem important but are discarded in record time and a villain whose plan makes very little sense 

Spoiler

We discussed this in our group and could not figure out why exactly we were so willing to forgive all the plotholes and recommend the movie to people - the only answer we could figure out is that the movie kept moving at such a fast clip that we didn't have any time to dwell on plot conveniences and contrivances, unlike say "Prometheus" where my friend screamed at the screen when Holloway took off his helmet (the people in the theater didn't care too much for his screaming).

Also, this was a balls to the wall action movie which did not shy away from actually showing blood and people getting shot, the stakes just seemed higher for that reason.

Oh, and Morgan Freeman deadpanning a coffee order before he starts his acting-President duties. He makes any movie better.

Edited by grim22, 25 March 2013 - 09:27 AM.

• baumer likes this

Superman has Thor's hammer and Captain America's shield

i8BAqDi.jpg

Your argument is invalid

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts

Right movie at the right time. Action movies have been scarce since Skyfall (the awful looking Die Hard notwithstanding) and this, with an interesting hook and a few recognizable actors, filled the void

Snitch, Last Stand, Bullet to the Head, Parker....there have been plenty of action movies. I don't think this filled any kind of a void. It's not like we didn't have choices before this one.
  • Claire Hol7 likes this

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts

Me and a couple of friends had seen it at an advance screening around 3 weeks ago. Once the movie was done, the first thing that almost all of us said was "That felt more like a Die Hard movie than the actual Die Hard movie from last month".

In hindsight, the movie has large plotholes, side-plots which seem important but are discarded in record time and a villain whose plan makes very little sense 

Spoiler

We discussed this in our group and could not figure out why exactly we were so willing to forgive all the plotholes and recommend the movie to people - the only answer we could figure out is that the movie kept moving at such a fast clip that we didn't have any time to dwell on plot conveniences and contrivances, unlike say "Prometheus" where my friend screamed at the screen when Holloway took off his helmet (the people in the theater didn't care too much for his screaming).

Also, this was a balls to the wall action movie which did not shy away from actually showing blood and people getting shot, the stakes just seemed higher for that reason.

Oh, and Morgan Freeman deadpanning a coffee order before he starts his acting-President duties. He makes any movie better.

Fantastic post.

Spoiler

Claire Hol7

Claire Hol7

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • LocationThe Know

Since Skyfall, we had Jack Reacher. No? Does that count?

Top 5 of 2013:

1 ) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 2) Gravity 3) The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 4) Pacific Rim 5) Man of Steel

tumblr_inline_mxj7x2a4so1qk4lg7.gif

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts

Since Skyfall, we had Jack Reacher. No? Does that count?

Yes it does.  But those films are all holiday films.  Once you hit January, you are no longer in the holiday mode. Different quarter, different season.

• Claire Hol7 likes this

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,988 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Snitch, Last Stand, Bullet to the Head, Parker....there have been plenty of action movies. I don't think this filled any kind of a void. It's not like we didn't have choices before this one.

They all looked small, though. Chase scenes and fistfights instead of the out-and-out mayhem of this

iNmEH.gif

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationCarcosa

After reading baumer's post, and hearing that its R, I'm definitely gonna check this out.

• baumer likes this

xCu1siO.gif

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,136 posts

They all looked small, though. Chase scenes and fistfights instead of the out-and-out mayhem of this

But that's different.  Your first statement is that there were a lack of acction films.  Your second statement is that there were no interesting looking action films that seemed to be on this kind of scale.  And that I agree with.

• Chewy likes this

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,988 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Fair enough, I meant large scale action movies but I guess I didn't clarify that, haha.

• baumer likes this

iNmEH.gif

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,655 posts
  • LocationCarcosa

Man I'm really glad an old school action flick like this is doing well. Getting sick of all the comic book crap.

• baumer, Michael Tyrion Scott and skykisser like this

xCu1siO.gif

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,221 posts
  • LocationFinland

Well shit, I guess I have to see Olympus now

• baumer and Catching Robertron like this

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

The Stingray