Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Social Media Futures: G.I. JOE: RETALIATION

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...tion-for-thu-37

It's been clear since the eleventh hour decision to delay G.I. Joe: Retaliationfrom a planned 2012 release that Paramount has some work to do with the franchise's image. Last year's first trailer barely highlighted Channing Tatum's presence (leading some to speculate his character wouldn't be involved in most of the story). Perhaps not coincidentally, while Tatum was driving three box office hits last year and proving his ability to draw, the delay was announced.

The 2009 film's cast had already been gutted and replaced by more male- and action fan-friendly names like Bruce Willis and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. As the sequel's March 29 release approaches, is Paramount's strategy working?

Where The Rise of Cobra aimed for the kiddie crowd and twenty-something audience that grew up with the brand, Retaliation is setting its sights on the more straight-forward action lovers out there. Did they wait too long? Will the delay ("officially" said to be for a 3D conversion) pay off? So far, the signs are mixed.

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,805 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

This is a Wrath waiting to happen.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,304 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 94 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

Ah yes, the moment this opens up less than that Jack and the Giant movie.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

This isn't a movie that people tweet about a month in advance, it's a crossover film that alot of demographics will go see in walk ups.  The trailer has a ton of views, and the Flixster stats show that people WANT to see it.  I haven't tweeted about G.I. Joe, but I voted for it on Flixster and I'll for damn sure be there opening weekend. It's not at all another Wrath of the Titans- this looks better and has bigger stars.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Alpha

Alpha

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts
  • Joined October 09, 2012
  • 101 topics
  • LocationI am Groot.

Ah yes, the moment this opens up less than that Jack and the Giant movie.

Posted Image

9e7.gif

OM-NUM-NUM-NUM-NUM

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,304 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 94 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

Posted Image

Posted Image

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,677 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationNew London, CT/Missing NYC

I think it can do 40-45M. 

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

For me, it depends partially on The Croods. If that's just another Rio or Rango-like hit, it probably won't affect Joe too much and I could see the latter topping $40 million. Either way, it'll probably be a much bigger hit overseas than domestically.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users