Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOXOFFICE.com Sleeper Watch: Is '21 and Over' the next 'Project X'?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Full Article: http://www.boxoffice...-over-break-out

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]With a relatively slow February now entering the final quarter, it's time to start looking ahead at March's offerings. We recently analyzed the early Twitter tracking for [/color]Jack and the Giant Slayer[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);], but opening against it on March 1 will be a flick targeting a different audience: [/color]21 and Over[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);].[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]Billed as "from the writers of [/color]The Hangover[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]" (Jon Lucas and Scott Moore), we can't help but notice a number of similarities between it and last year's [/color]Project X[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]--a solid breakout both domestically and in foreign markets. That film sold itself as "produced by the director of [/color]The Hangover[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]" (Todd Phillips) while riding positive word of mouth from early screenings. Hoping to duplicate it's $96...[/color]

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

The trailer always gets fantastic reactions, and there's certainly an audience for this movie.  Plus March 1st is a good release date. I say it breaks out.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,828 posts
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

I see it doing some solid numbers, but it won't breakout like Project X.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

It has  shot since Jack will likely disappoint. 

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

Hiccup

Hiccup

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 60 topics
  • LocationLa Crosse WI

Sort of.

15M/38M

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the most well-written and visually spectacular film of 2014.

9.75/10

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,677 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationNew London, CT/Missing NYC

Sort of.

15M/38M

I'm thinking about the same.

Jandrew

Jandrew

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,036 posts
  • Joined December 15, 2011
  • 13 topics
  • LocationThe Palmetto State
I dont see this passing PX. PX was an "ultimate" party movie. 21 and Over is a generic college comedy. I see something like 18/46.

IS INTERSTELLAR THE NEXT BIG SPACE DISCOVERY? PLEASE READ HERE! THANKS!

http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2014/10/is-interstellar-next-big-discovery.html

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,795 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,812 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
This looks funny, really funny. I think it will be bigger than Project X.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

This looks funny, really funny. I think it will be bigger than Project X.

I'm there with ya, buddy. Project X looked too focused on teens and college party people (IMO). This actually looks like it has a story driving the comedy, which is what PX needed to appeal to the rest of the 20-something demo. I'm honestly more reminded of 21 Jump Street than Project X the more I see the trailers.

Edited by ShawnMR, 20 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

BOOYAH SUCKAS

BOOYAH SUCKAS

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 51 topics
  • LocationMurca

If you mean in terms of pure stupidity then yes.

Crime is a disease. I'm the cure.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

As a teenager, I had no urge to see Project X (I eventually got dragged to it) because it was for rich, fratboy types who take ecstasy and listen to techno.  This movie looks pretty damn funny. I'll see this, no qualms.  

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,795 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,812 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

I'm there with ya, buddy. Project X looked too focused on teens and college party people (IMO). This actually looks like it has a story driving the comedy, which is what PX needed to appeal to the rest of the 20-something demo. I'm honestly more reminded of 21 Jump Street than Project X the more I see the trailers.

It has some really funny moments in the trailer. The get down scene is quite funny and apparently killing the guy every other scene looks pretty funny too. I like what I see.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

tonytr87

tonytr87

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 3 topics
  • LocationDallas, Texas

I was interested in Project X because it looked different and the trailer was pretty awesome. The only funny part in the trailer for this are the two friends always calling the Asian kid by his whole name. Otherwise, looks generic.

Edited by tonytr87, 21 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Dawn of the Apes - A / The Lego Movie - A / Neighbors - A- / The Rover - A- / X-men: Days of Future Past - A- / Boyhood - B+ / Godzilla - B+                Edge of Tomorrow - B+ / Captain America: The Winter Soldier - B+ / Gone Girl - B / Under the Skin - B / Guardians of the Galaxy - B / 22 Jump Street - B    Noah - B / Robocop - B- / Transformers: Age of Extinction - B- / TMNT - C+ / Divergent - C+ / That Awkward Moment - C+  

The Amazing Spider-man 2 - C / The Monuments Men - C / Maleficent - C / Dracula Untold - C- / Transcendence - C- Blended - D+ / Ride Along - D

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

I am thinking 19M for 21 and 18M for Jack. 

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

Mango

Mango

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationGeorgia

I haven't seen any critic reviews but there is a small handful of positive reviews from people who attended earlier screenings. If this goodwill carries over during the week this will probably breakout.

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,096 posts
  • 121 topics
  • LocationWisconsin
Will it be as shitty as Project X? I hated that fucking movie

kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon