Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOXOFFICE.com: Is May 2013 Overcrowded w/ IRON MAN 3, TREK, FAST 6, and HANGOVER 3?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Full Article: http://www.boxoffice...ngover-part-iii

Remember 2007? That year's summer kick-off month of May boasted what may have been the highest profile single month of releases in modern--or any--box office history. Spider-Man 3Shrek the Third, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End all followed such massive blockbuster predecessors that, despite none of them quite reaching box office expectations, they still combined for a multiple record-setting May.

The years since have seen their fair share of big movies in May, but none equal to what is now lovingly referred among the box office community as 2007's "The Big Three".

2013 is getting ready to deliver a very packed May itself, though. The month's four biggest releases represent follow-up flicks whose predecessors each took in at least $200 million domestically. Two of them stood out with great-to-excellent word of mouth (Star Trek and Fast Five) while the other two were generally regarded as hits that didn't live up to the hype (Iron Man 2 and The Hangover Part II)...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,799 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Seems obvious that yes, it is. Something is going to fail.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

tribefan695

tribefan695

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,613 posts
  • 134 topics

I think if either Hangover or Fast Six just took the 5/31 weekend we'd be all set.

JqdcLDa.gif

bofan

bofan

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Joined July 21, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationBulgaria

Hangover gotta fail.No marketing and i doubt that  we will see new story.

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

I don't think it is overcrowded at all. It is the summer. If the films are good enough, market will expand. 

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,799 posts
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Hangover 3 needs to move. Fast is a bigger franchise now. I am thinking on creating a 300M DOM total club for it.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

kitik

kitik

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2012
  • 30 topics
  • LocationToledo

No, its not overcrowded, but I think most folks are expecting Hangover 3 to be down quite a bit from the previous one. Well under $200 million.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

There's still a huge teen fanbase for Hangover that doesn't care how much the story repeats. It'll drop but still be a huge hit. Gatsby is going to do better than people expect as well.  June is very, very crowded too. Personally, I'd move one of the big films to that third weekend in July slot that's only occupied by R.I.P.D. this year. 

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

tribefan695

tribefan695

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,613 posts
  • 134 topics

Isn't RIPD going for the same demo? The May 31st weekend only has a low-budget thriller right now. I don't know why something doesn't move there.

JqdcLDa.gif

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,907 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 57 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Yes don't forget about Epic

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,073 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

Yes don't forget about Epic

But it looks so forgettable

iNmEH.gif

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

I definitely see Hangover 3 dropping, but it feels comparable to Transformers and Ocean's where the second films disappointed crowds and led to a drop with the third film. Better word of mouth pending, I could see TH3 doing well enough to still hit $200m... but $150-175m wouldn't shock me either.

The other three films are near locks to open huge on varying levels. Word of mouth for Trek may be the most crucial since it's in between everything.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,907 posts
  • 57 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Fast Six in my opinion would benefit the most from moving. Hangover 3 still has an advantage of being the only comedy film of the month while Fast 6 is the third action tentpole of the month

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,501 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
I think people are underestimating hangover it's the only comedy coming out in a month of mostly action flicks
Hail Nolan

Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • 30 topics

Fast Six in my opinion would benefit the most from moving. Hangover 3 still has an advantage of being the only comedy film of the month while Fast 6 is the third action tentpole of the month

Hangover is also a sequel to a lesser received film, which downplays the fact that it's the only comedy of the month. It wouldn't hurt Hangover at all to move it back a week.Star Trek may be its own beast, a legit sci-fi epic with a story to tell, and audiences have shown themselves to enjoy that, but it doesn't have the unhinged mayhem and 'vehicular warefare' that audiences tend to want in a summer film and Fast Six looks to have that.

Edited by Jay Beezy, 05 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon

Yh it's the only comedy and the poor reception of the second one is not as bad as you may think the Hangover franchise is massively popular and a large number of fans will turn out regardless.

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,907 posts
  • 57 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Hangover is also a sequel to a lesser received film, which downplays the fact that it's the only comedy of the month. It wouldn't hurt Hangover at all to move it back a week.Star Trek may be its own beast, a legit sci-fi epic with a story to tell, and audiences have shown themselves to enjoy that, but it doesn't have the unhinged mayhem and 'vehicular warefare' that audiences tend to want in a summer film and Fast Six looks to have that.

The Hangover 2 still made a lot of money and sold well on DVD, and people can still go to it despite the reception of the second since it seems lots of people prefer laughs over action 

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,501 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
The only hatred of hangover 2 I see is on here
Hail Nolan

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon

Yh true among young men and women of what i know age 18 to 25 the whole "wolfpack" Hangover thing is hugely popular no comedy compares to it's popularity not even Ted they love the premise even if it's unchanged.

Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • 30 topics

The Hangover 2 still made a lot of money and sold well on DVD, and people can still go to it despite the reception of the second since it seems lots of people prefer laughs over action

It dropped off significantly after opening weekend, so it'll really be a test as to whether it performs as the first comedy of the month or a sequel to a film that dropped off a lot after the first weekend. And considering the highest grossing films are action films, your last point is debatable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users