Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

From 'Trek' to 'Wars': A Fan's Opinion on J.J. Abrams' Blockbuster Decision

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics
Full Article: http://www.boxoffice...buster-decision

Whew.

If October's news about Disney's Lucasfilm buyout wasn't exciting enough, then yesterday's did the trick. Despite initial signs pointing against it, J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII. The Internet is abuzz, fans are debating and Disney is going to break the bank.

Money aside for a few moments, this writer finds himself in a fan's dilemma. There are a lot of Star Wars fans out there. There are also a lot of Star Trek fans. But there aren't nearly as many of us who are fans of *both*--at least not at the level I was growing up (and probably still am in some ways). No two series combined had as much influence on me as a child. It took the maturing years to begin to understand why the fan bases of each despise one another--and it still baffles me. Good fiction should be praised, not become the catalyst for division...

Edited by ShawnMR, 25 January 2013 - 10:10 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

stuart360

stuart360

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  • Joined November 24, 2011
  • 2 topics
To be honest, it wasn't until i started coming on forums that i knew there even were 'wars' between both fan bases, i have always loved both franchises.
THIS TIME ITS WAR!
Posted Image

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 41,902 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,799 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
I haven't read the entire article, but for me, the director is really a non issue. I know that probably isn't the right attitude to take, but unless they went with someone truly inept, like McG then I don't really think it matters all that much. There is a ton of talent in Hollywood and I trust that they will hire the right director. Abrams is a nice story, but it's not one that will have me doing backflips or biting my nails.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Joined November 19, 2011
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida
The skepticism over Abrams by some is just ridiculous. He's a proven director and be happy George Lucas is gone forever.

75live

75live

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 15 topics

The skepticism over Abrams by some is just ridiculous. He's a proven director and be happy George Lucas is gone forever.

It's not ridiculous. Some people don't like his movies or his directing. There's nothing ridiculous or wrong about that. It's all about what people like.
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious s**t."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Hiccup

Hiccup

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 60 topics
  • LocationLa Crosse WI
At least Abrams can give us a strong script unlike Lucas who shit all over the prequels.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the most well-written and visually spectacular film of 2014.

9.75/10

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida

At least Abrams can give us a strong script unlike Lucas who shit all over the prequels.

Exactly, hes not the best thing ever, but more than solid enough. Its now virtually impossible for this to be as bad as the prequels and that alone has me pissing myself. Most big name directors are too afraid to touch this anyways.

Edited by Shpongle, 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM.

filmscholar

filmscholar

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Joined February 22, 2012
  • 11 topics
  • LocationNew York City
I learned about the whole "Wars Vs Trek" at a young age as my Dad was a very hard core Trek fan but all his sons were die hard Star Wars fans. He later would tell us he never liked Star Wars that much but because all of us watched it so many times as kids, he ended up loving them but he didn't give the prequels a chance. From what I notice Star Wars fans consider Star Trek to boring while Star Trek fans feel Star Wars is way to childish were as Trek is for more intelligent Sci-Fi fans.

I grew up watching Star Trek Re-runs as well as a ton of "Generations" and "Deep Space Nine" Episodes. I watched all the Star Trek movies up until the last few generations ones where the movies were just getting worst and worst. I think both Franchises did a lot for Science Fiction and I think if they were smart they would hold Star Trek and Star Wars conventions at the same time. Me personally even as I die hard Wars fans, I've never had a problem with Trek. It is a little more "Adult" Sci-fi and the space fights can be a little slow but it is a very intelligent series. I think JJ can be a nice Bridge that hopefully brings the fanbases together. Cause there shouldn't be a war between them, they both mean a whole lot to sci-fi fans.
"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda (Jedi GOD)

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 41,902 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,799 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
Yep, Lucas really told bad stories. (eyes rolling)

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

West Hollywood

West Hollywood

Blockbuster

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • Joined July 22, 2012
  • 154 topics
  • Location* Hanging at the Country Club With Some Other 5%'ers * Talking Shit about those Damn 1%'ers *
Guess Shatner got his TekWar ideas from this combo???

:wub: PLEASE SPREAD LOVE, NOT HATE, AND JOIN MY GET RID OF RACISM CAMPAIGN

:wub: Go West Young Man To Hollywood California And Ask for Me, Mr. West "West" Hollywood 

:wub: The Man. The Myth. The Legend. > Bigger. Badder. Uncut. 

:wub: As I am Loving California's West Hollywood Scene

:wub: 

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,083 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 120 topics
  • LocationWisconsin
I can't remember if it was here or another message board. But someone was worried that the general pubic would say Star Wars and Star Trek are the same thing because it's directed by the same person now. I don't think JJ is quite household name yet where people would think that.

stuart360

stuart360

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  • 2 topics
I think it doesn't really matter what director it is really as they will be doing exactly what Disney tell them to do, if Fincher thought he had it bad with the Fox execs on the ALIEN 3 set then the next Star Wars director won't know whats hit them, Disney spent 3 billion or whatever it was on getting Star Wras and they know their first SW film has to be great to get the whole fanbase back on board after the prequel shite., Disney aren't going to just let Abrams go off and do his own thing.
THIS TIME ITS WAR!
Posted Image

filmscholar

filmscholar

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Joined February 22, 2012
  • 11 topics
  • LocationNew York City

I think it doesn't really matter what director it is really as they will be doing exactly what Disney tell them to do, if Fincher thought he had it bad with the Fox execs on the ALIEN 3 set then the next Star Wars director won't know whats hit them, Disney spent 3 billion or whatever it was on getting Star Wras and they know their first SW film has to be great to get the whole fanbase back on board after the prequel shite., Disney aren't going to just let Abrams go off and do his own thing.

This is exactly the reason why I think Lucas is not out of the picture. Episode VII will not hit the Big Screen until he has seen it 1st. This film HAS to be good, there's no way around it. You don't knock Episode VII out of the park it could mess up VIII and IX.
"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda (Jedi GOD)

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida

This is exactly the reason why I think Lucas is not out of the picture. Episode VII will not hit the Big Screen until he has seen it 1st. This film HAS to be good, there's no way around it. You don't knock Episode VII out of the park it could mess up VIII and IX.

Episode 7 has an impossible bubble of hype to live up to from fanboys. It just has to be substantially better than any of the prequels(which isn't exactly saying a whole lot, but still).

Fifdddeee Shadddeees

Fifdddeee Shadddeees

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,816 posts
  • 33 topics
  • LocationIreland

"At least Abrams can give us a strong script unlike Lucas who shit all over the prequels."

Star Trek had a poor script, but Abrams was able to compensate.

EDIT: Quoting is all messed up for me.

Edited by ddddeeee, 25 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 31,237 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 685 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Nice article, Shawn. Like you, I've been a fan of both series and never really considered them competitors at all. They're very very different franchises.

If anything, Abrams' style lends itself to SW more than ST, so I'm not worried about him at all.

FdxX0OJ.png

No Lumps No Bumps | Two Good Eyes | Piss OK Genitals Intact | Multiple Scars Heals Fast | O-Negative Hi Octane | Universal Donor | Lone Road Warrior Rundown | The Powder Lakes (No) | Psychotic | Muzzled

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

stuart360

stuart360

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  • 2 topics

unless they went with someone truly inept, like McG

1161395_o.gif
THIS TIME ITS WAR!
Posted Image

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts
  • 15 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

Considering that the original trilogy is my favorite form of entertainment of all time, the prequels were obviously a dissappointment, but it wasn't the story that Lucas told that made it that way. If I just read Eps I-III as a two page synopsyis, I would actually have really enjoyed it. It was the directing, the poorly written dialogue and characters, and the mostly poor acting that hurt the prequels. With JJ in tow, I feel like the great Star Wars stories will remain in tact, with all of those problems corrected.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts
  • 108 topics
  • LocationOff Calibrating

Yep, Lucas really told bad stories. (eyes rolling)

Exactly. The actual stories for the prequels were strong, you had to slog through mind-numbing dialogue and mediocre acting to get to them.

Every poster shall reap what they have sown, from the highest administrator to the lowest thread troll. And some will lose more than the likes off their profiles, I promise you. They have made my forum bleed, and I do not forget that.

SUBMIT YOUR LISTS FOR BOF's TOP VIDEO GAMES OF ALL TIME

Walt Disney

Walt Disney

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 54 topics
  • LocationThe Castle

I think Disney is going to give  JJ Abrams a lot of slack. Disney didn't just buy the rights to Star Wars....they bought the whole LucasFilm company. I think they're going to treat this the same way that they are treating the Marvel films. As long as LucasFilm gives Abrams the same freedom that Marvel gave Whedon, then I don't think Disney will be interfering too much. Disney may have some say, but I think they're going to leave a lot of the creative decisions to the creative people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users