Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Long Range Twitter Report: 'The Hobbit' vs. 2012's Biggest And Best

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics
http://www.boxoffice...he-hobbit-stand

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]The holiday movie-going season is in its early stages right now, and all eyes are slowly turning toward the looming release of [/font]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]on December 14. Early reports today suggest that the film ate up 33 percent of Fandango sales on Wednesday, overtaking both [/font]Skyfall [background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]and next week's[/font]Twilight [background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]finale for #1 on the popular ticketing site.[/font]

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]What will surely be the year's final mega-blockbuster has a lot to live up to. That's not just because of the weight of history it carries fromThe Lord of the Rings trilogy, but also because of the fact that 2012 - while hit and miss overall at the box office - has already produced three huge blockbusters. As the first to ever generate three $400+ million grossing films domestically, one might say this year has gone on an unexpected journey itself. Can The Hobbit live up to and carry on that namesake?[/font]

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]As a bit of advance Twitter tracking, let's check out where this year's biggest films stood in the social media circle 6 weeks out from their release.[/font]

Edited by ShawnMR, 08 November 2012 - 10:14 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain
Hobbit is dropping like a rock on HSX. :(

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Rightly so. Spots are fuckin terrible. They oversell unfunny comedy by people in a really bad make-up and now LOTR fans who didn`t read the book know that it has different set of characters. We wouldn`t have this thread if it didn`t ride LOTR coattails. If it was the first movie in a series eevryone would admit that it looks shitty.

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics
Hobbit overtook Twilight for #1 on Fandango sales yesterday with 33 percent.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean
Fanboy rush. It`ll die down.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

More money for the rest of us to make. :P

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 31,992 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 687 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

People are just leaping at that ComingSoon OW guesstimate. HSX peeps are like lemmings, and they wildly overreact.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

We shall not cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring / Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time.

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

People are just leaping at that ComingSoon OW guesstimate. HSX peeps are like lemmings, and they wildly overreact.

Good.

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon
I think it will come 2nd for the year behind avengers beat DKR by a small margin.

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,528 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,810 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
I really don't like the trailers.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Gopher

Gopher

Hail Hydra

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts
  • 78 topics
Awareness is huge and I think families will dig it (remember Phantom Menace) but nothing they're showing us so far has resonated with me since last December's teaser. I'd like to give Jackson the benefit of a doubt though.
Life is effort and I'll stop when I die!

CloneWars

CloneWars

Box Office Gold

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationDeath Star
The Hobbit will break out. I can't wait for December 14th to come soon enough so I can tell all the doubters, I told you so.
Visit my website, blog, and YouTube channel at www.empowerautismnow.com

victoriastone14

victoriastone14

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Joined October 10, 2012
  • 0 topics
Still Twilight is on the way!!!
"With digital 3D projection, we will be entering a new age of cinema. Audiences will be seeing something which was never technically possible before the age of digital cinema - a stunning visual experience which `turbocharges` the viewing of the biggest, must-see movies. The biggest action, visual effects and fantasy movies will soon be shot in 3D. And all-CG animated films can easily be converted to 3D, without additional cost if it is done as they are made. Soon audiences will associate 3D with the highest level of visual content in the market, and seek out that premium experience."- James Cameron

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean
It won`t be the year`s biggets and it certianly won`t be one of year`s best. The latter you can take to the bank.

Edited by fishnets, 09 November 2012 - 04:34 AM.

delfra

delfra

Rumored Project

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • Locationoakland,ca

The Hobbit will break out. I can't wait for December 14th to come soon enough so I can tell all the doubters, I told you so.

LOL, man you are absolutely high. There is no way "The Hobbit" will take in 600 million domestically and 2 billion worldwide, talk about a rediculous fanboy's aspirations. And it definantly won't be opening to 180 million it's opening weekend, i'll wager you a bet on those 3 predictions you made and i mean it. Now that being said, do i think "The Hobbit" will be a big hit at the box office, absolutely but let's not get carried away like you are my friend. Here's a fishing pole, reel those unrealistic fantastical numbers back in, haha. Here's what i see possibly for "The Hobbit". 100-125 million opening, remember this is December, not March,May or July, and no film has ever opened to 100 million in December, none of the "Lord Of The Rings" films, not even "Avatar". I'm going a little on a limb predicting "The Hobbit" will open with 100-125 million, but i think it can. Domestic i see 350-400 million and 1-1.1 billion, it will be a huge hit but let's not get besides ourselves with unrealistic rediculous predictions. And remember while popular, "The Hobbit" was not as iconic and beloved as "The Lord Of The Rings" books we're, those reasons explains my point. I do my homework and i know my s..., i've been following box office numbers for years, decades actually. But i understand that some people like you don't really understand box office numbers and they just throw crazy predictions out there, i see it all the time so this is nothing new.

Edited by delfra, 11 November 2012 - 03:28 AM.

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,271 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina
:rofl: :lol:

FTF

FTF

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2011
  • 4 topics
  • LocationNew York

It won`t be the year`s biggets and it certianly won`t be one of year`s best. The latter you can take to the bank.

No offense, but you're so jaded and biased on anything LOTR that nothing you say can be viewed as valid or taken seriously. I mean just in this thread for example, bad makeup? lol hard at that and you clinging to desperate hope this is a bad movie and fails bo wise, the latter which is a slim to none chance at best, and the former akin to BKB and TDKR.

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain
Hobbit stock turned a corner. Started going back up a few days ago but still far away from it's previous heights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users