Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOXOFFICE.com: 007 By the Numbers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts
http://www.boxoffice...e-numbers-draft

If you've been following the entertainment business this year, you've probably noticed the hype surrounding not just Skyfall, but the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film franchise marked by the year 2012.

As such, the Internet has become replete with retrospectives on the series and while most are certainly fascinating reads, most of us are now well aware that the Bond series is 50 years old, has seen 6 actors take on the character, and boasts 23 movies on its resumé - including Sean Connery's unofficial 1983 entry, Never Say Never Again. Et cetera, et cetera...

With that said, here are some 007 numbers that box office enthusiasts might be particularly interested in. And yes, we're including Never Say Never Again in our calculations. It may be unofficial, but it just doesn't seem right to exclude a Connery-portrayed Bond.

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 November 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#ED

#ED

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,784 posts
  • LocationNew York , NY
Looks like Skyfall is headed to be #1 007 movie WW.
#Hail Nolan

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• 13,441 posts
Fo sho.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

SantA Architect!™

SantA Architect!™

Spider-Mod, Spider-Mod...

• Moderator-in-Absentia
  • 5,844 posts
  • LocationThis forum continues to prove that those in the minority have the loudest voices.
Bond definitely hit his peak in the mid 60's. Will any of Craig's films hit 300m, let alone 400m domestically?
  • JackO likes this

"If someone were to pay you a dime for every kind word you ever spoke and collect a nickel for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?" -Author unknown

My blog on the state of Spider-Man and comics in general:

Spider121ba_zpse72509ce.jpg

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• 13,441 posts
To be fair though, Connery's Bond didn't have to contend with short home video releases (or home video releases at all) and insane amounts of competition.

I think the tickets-per-movie stat is really interesting. Poor Dalton. Craig could potentially overtake Brosnan's rate with Skyfall, though.

SantA Architect!™

SantA Architect!™

• Moderator-in-Absentia
  • 5,844 posts
  • LocationThis forum continues to prove that those in the minority have the loudest voices.

To be fair though, Connery's Bond didn't have to contend with short home video releases (or home video releases at all) and insane amounts of competition.

I think the tickets-per-movie stat is really interesting. Poor Dalton. Craig could potentially overtake Brosnan's rate with Skyfall, though.

Dalton was just ahead of his time. He was actually more like the Fleming version than either his predecessor or successor. Craig is making the films Dalton wanted to make.
  • ShawnMR likes this

"If someone were to pay you a dime for every kind word you ever spoke and collect a nickel for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?" -Author unknown

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
The Dalton Bonds were in the same era as Die Hard and Lethal Weapon so it could have been seen by audiences as an attempt to update Bond to that style and tone, the Brosnan films are pretty decent, Goldeneye is my favourite of the four.

I do wonder how long it'll be before Sony gets full exclusivity over Bond as they managed to look after the franchise well but I can't see MGM selling yet, I think had they not severed ties with Sony after QoS, Skyfall may have been released sooner but I think in hindsight the four year gap fueled demand for Bond and fell nicely with the 50th anniversary.
  • ShawnMR likes this

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• 13,441 posts
Weirdly enough, I watched DaD again the other night and have to movie it ahead of TWINE as my second favorite Brosnan film. It has so many things going for it up until the third act (aside from the abuse of innuendo). Even Graves was a worthy villain ... then he put on the Icarus remote control suit...

Posted Image

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

SantA Architect!™

SantA Architect!™

• Moderator-in-Absentia
  • 5,844 posts

Weirdly enough, I watched DaD again the other night and have to movie it ahead of TWINE as my second favorite Brosnan film. It has so many things going for it up until the third act (aside from the abuse of innuendo). Even Graves was a worthy villain ... then he put on the Icarus remote control suit...

Posted Image

TND is my least favorite Brosnan Bond, but it doesn't have either of the two worst final lines in Bond history. That dishonor belongs to both TWINE and DAD, with TWINE edging DAD with the absolute worst final line ever. I usually stop the film before he says it and I won't repeat it here.
:puke:

Telemachos

Telemachos

Workprint

• General Moderator
  • 24,787 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
DAD? Good lord, that film's terrible on almost every level.

(Great new name, btw, AA).

trs_sm_zpsc68b772a.jpg

Sometimes you get a pooch that can't be screwed, ya know? —The Right Stuff

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users