Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com: Unconventional Choices for the STAR WARS Takeover

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts
http://www.boxoffice...r-wars-takeover

Never say never, but let's be honest with ourselves here. History points to the future Star Wars: Episode VII director likely being less of a brand name than those guys are. Nolan wasn't a household name when Warner Bros. selected him for Batman Begins. Abrams was familiar to audiences before Star Trek but primarily as a successful television producer and not a blockbuster filmmaker (yet, at the time). Ditto for Whedon before The Avengers. That fact doesn't apply to just those guys, but can similarly be said of Marc Webb before taking over the multi-billion dollar Spider-Man franchise this year, or Rob Marshall when chosen to carry on Disney's Pirates franchise with On Stranger Tides.

In other words, how often does a brand name director ever end up taking over franchise after their career has been firmly established? Very rarely. How often do guys make names for themselves by taking over a big franchise? Pretty often.

We all have our directorial wish lists for anticipated films, but the Boxoffice.com team is preparing for more likely, less established candidates. (And, because we're human too, one or two pipe dreams.) Some of our favorites include:

Edited by ShawnMR, 01 November 2012 - 03:39 PM.

• Spaghetti, Jesus of Suburbia, filmscholar and 2 others like this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CloneWars

CloneWars

Box Office Gold

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationDeath Star
Interesting list. You forgot Verbinski and Raimi. Raimi is with Disny and has Oz coming out in March. He has proven himself with big films and after Spidey 3 this is a way to redeem himself. Same for Verbinski.
Visit my website, blog, and YouTube channel at www.empowerautismnow.com

Irastev

Irastev

Straight-to-DVD

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCaritas
Drew Goddard. Directed one film, but a well-received one. Wrote for JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg.

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean
I must say I`m highly disappointed with this list. It`s titled unconventional choices yet it has boring, safe and past their prime PJ and Spielberg on it. Also, why are Nolan, Abrams and Whedon dismissed on the basis of having their own franchises but PJ isn`t? I mena, isn`t he going to be busy filming "important" made-up and Appendices stuff and post-prod TH while SW7 is prepping and maybe even filming? Now I get that SW gig would save his sagging career that cannot support itself without Tolkien but lets be real. This is scheduling conflict and he is a boring choice that can`t do a decent movie that isn`t about Middle Earth anymore. Not that the next ME one looks decent. It doesn`t. So this miniLucas is anything but unconventional.

Also, Bird, Johnson, Blomcamp are conventional because they already have sci fi experience and Bird and Blomcamp delivered blockbusters. OTOH, Lucas made SW off teen classic American Graffiti while sci fi king Cameron hit it beyond big with a traditional melodrama. Now those were more unconventional choices for their biggest movies.

No guts, no glory,folks. Risk. Lets see some Affleck (no geek movie yet), Serkis (second unit on TH but no movie of his own yet), Slade (who delivered the only good Twi movie), Josh Trank (Cronicle >>>>>>>>>>> Looper and Trank >>>>>>>>>> Johnson), Jonah Nolan (he was in the running for MoS).

Edited by fishnets, 01 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMe Chi Gain
Neil Blomkamp and Duncan Jones. That would be pretty damned great.

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean
Duncan Jones directed what? never heard of him.

Also, to all Jacksonites trying to gang-prss Disney into giving PJ the gig, do you really want Boyens bullshit about feminine energy as if she invented it in SW and do you relaly want this stupid cow in a stupid cameo in every movie:

Posted Image

Fuckin NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited by fishnets, 01 November 2012 - 07:01 PM.

SantA Architect!™

SantA Architect!™

Spider-Mod, Spider-Mod...

• Moderator-in-Absentia
  • 5,844 posts
  • LocationThis forum continues to prove that those in the minority have the loudest voices.
I personally like Spielberg as the best possible transition. He also has little loyalty to one studio other than his. He also helped with a few parts of ROTS, which was easily the best of the prequels. Ford would also probably come along for the ride(at least the first film anyway). But what Spielberg is not, is a writer/director like Lucas, so they would need to find a writer that would make a damn good Star Wars film. What about Lawrence Kasdan? Who helped write arguably the best Star Wars film: ESB?(He also helped write ROTJ as well). Caveat with him is that he may have lost "it". His last few efforts have been...barely mediocre. Maybe he just needs to be back with Lucas/Spielberg to get the old juices flowing?

I dunno, I'm probably just waxing nostalgic with this one.

Of the more realistic choices, I like Bird and interestingly enough, Branagh(I think he could make a damn good Space "Opera").
  • ShawnMR likes this

"If someone were to pay you a dime for every kind word you ever spoke and collect a nickel for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?" -Author unknown

My blog on the state of Spider-Man and comics in general:

Spider121ba_zpse72509ce.jpg

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,648 posts
  • LocationSydney

Duncan Jones directed what? never heard of him.

Never heard of Source Code?

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,972 posts
  • Locationmember of clone club
He also directed moon a vastly underrated film
Hail Nolan

SantA Architect!™

SantA Architect!™

Spider-Mod, Spider-Mod...

• Moderator-in-Absentia
  • 5,844 posts
  • LocationThis forum continues to prove that those in the minority have the loudest voices.

Never heard of Source Code?

Great movie until the contrived happy ending. I had such high hopes for it until that. But I hate most completely happy endings, so...
  • CoolioD1 and JackO like this

"If someone were to pay you a dime for every kind word you ever spoke and collect a nickel for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?" -Author unknown

My blog on the state of Spider-Man and comics in general:

Spider121ba_zpse72509ce.jpg

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

WordArt Picasso

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts
  • LocationUnstuck in Time.
I'm really liking the idea of Duncan Jones, now.

VOTE IN THE TOP 25 FUNNIEST MOVIES BY MARCH 7TH AT NOON ET! GOING ON NOW IN THE SPEAKEASY!

BEST OF 2013:

ALL IS LOST / BEFORE MIDNIGHT / FROZEN / HER / INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

SHORT TERM 12 / UPSTREAM COLOR / THE WIND RISES / THE WOLF OF WALL STREET / THE WORLD'S END

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean
Oh, Moon and Source Code? Gets my vote.

Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts

Banned

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • LocationVirginia
James Cameron + Star Wars = 1 billion domestic/5 billion WW. Truth.
  • Neo likes this

Posted Image

Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,226 posts
  • LocationFinland
To be honest, I have zero idea who would be a good director for the movie
  • JackO likes this

JaLPrwe.jpg?1?4790

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean

To be honest, I have zero idea who would be a good director for the movie

Very old directors won`t because they are losing the touch with new generations. Also, skip directors with franchises because they think in terms of brand and that kills creativity. SW is a brand but it needs injection of freshness that won`t be found among film-makers who churn out over 3 movies from the same series.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• 13,441 posts
Bird is definitely my leading contender, one reason he was on my short-list of 3 choices for the article.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 34,998 posts
You got Bay with Transformers.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office.. You are stoned dude and need to step back and re-evaluate what your saying... :sherlock: 

it ll be striving make half of what first one did

AVATAR 2  At best will do around 475-500M Domestic

VII Predictions

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 34,998 posts

James Cameron + Star Wars = 1 billion domestic/5 billion WW. Truth.

#1 choice, but won't happen. I wouldn't mind Cameron putting Avatar 2 on hold for SW7.
  • Ozymandias likes this

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office.. You are stoned dude and need to step back and re-evaluate what your saying... :sherlock: 

it ll be striving make half of what first one did

AVATAR 2  At best will do around 475-500M Domestic

VII Predictions

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• 13,441 posts
Cameron and Bay wouldn't be very unconventional, though. And neither will ever happen.

tribefan695

tribefan695

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts
I wouldn't say Bird, Jackson, or Spielberg are unconventional either

JqdcLDa.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users