Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Paranormal Activity 4

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Paranormal Activity 4

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Grade it

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,401 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,758 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake
Discuss

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Heretic

Heretic

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 34 topics
  • LocationLondon
I loved the previous 3. They all scared the shit out of me, but this was a load of crap. Boring, predictable, and not in the slightest scary, apart from a few odds scenes. And the ending. Oh my fucking god the ending. One of the worst I've ever seen. I did like the main girl though. Probably the only highlight of the movie.

D
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.''

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,321 posts
  • 111 topics
  • LocationThe North Star State.
What made the ending so bad? Put it in spoilers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heretic

Heretic

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationLondon
I can't even explain it. It was just so dumb. To be honest, the ending to PA3 was weird too, but this was worse.
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.''

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

In Paranormal Activity 4, a young girl, Alex (Kathryn Newton), notices strange things start happening in her house when her kid neighbor, Robbie (Brady Allen) stays over after his mother has a medical emergency.

I would rename this film, the Mostly Ordinary Activity. Unlike previous iterations, the scares in this film are more of the gotcha! variety. It uses a lot of misdirection instead of paranormal activities. That was a real downer. It even gets somewhat boring in parts since it is mostly just watching people go about their daily lives.

The casting of the series has always been a highlight as these films put spotlights on actors that were previously unknown. I thought I would be writing about Kathryn but I am actually going to point out Matt Shively who plays her somewhat boyfriend with the same name Alex. You see, since the film lacks scares for most of the movie, the film needed something else to carry it. It ends up being his character since he is just so funny. He has a lot of one liners and quips that are both natural for the atmosphere of the film and for the character interaction, (mostly with Alex).

Anyways, while 90% of the film is kind of downer, its ending is pretty damned great. I won't spoil anything for you but when a former lead of the series starts making more and more appearances in the film, the stakes get higher and higher. If you liked Paranormal Activity 3, then you'll enjoy this one. This is one the few times that an ending can save a film.

Also, be sure to stay after the credits for a short teaser of the Latino Activity! Not it's real name of course, but it looks to be the new direction the series is taking.

B-

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,321 posts
  • 111 topics
I like how you two disagree on the ending.

Heretic

Heretic

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationLondon
One part that did scare the absolutel shit out of me though was at the end when she ran at her in the corridor.

Vanilla

Vanilla

Junior Admin

• Junior Admin
  • 1,486 posts
  • 273 topics
  • LocationU.S.A
I like the mother death scene where it growls at her. Pretty creepy and I really dug the kenect camera as well.

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away
Ok folks.. So what's the verdict??? Pay to see this in IMAX or wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray???? Be honest cause I do enjoy these movies..
http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

Heretic

Heretic

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationLondon

Ok folks.. So what's the verdict??? Pay to see this in IMAX or wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray???? Be honest cause I do enjoy these movies..

I hated it, so naturally, I'd say wait, or don't even bother with the DVD, either.

Vanilla

Vanilla

Junior Admin

• Junior Admin
  • 1,486 posts
  • 273 topics
  • LocationU.S.A

I say see it. It's still a fun time even though the ending leaves more to be desired

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Joined March 31, 2012
  • 96 topics
  • LocationElmira, NY

I hated it, so naturally, I'd say wait, or don't even bother with the DVD, either.

I say see it. It's still a fun time even though the ending leaves more to be desired

Well that helps

807774021.jpg?1378862958

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away

Hmmm.. That's funny cause they say the last 10 minutes of this are the best, comparable to the 1st movie??? Is it possible that maybe many of you are simply not into this sort of horror anymore and are looking more at horror like the EVIL DEAD remake??? Better known as Torture horror????

Cheesy Poofs

Cheesy Poofs

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • 31 topics
  • LocationLos Santos, San Andreas

Well that helps

haha I know, right? I'm seeing it today regardless, but if I were undecided and went on here for a recommendation, I don't know what I'd do :P

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,401 posts
  • 1,758 topics
Although this film didn't really do much to explain ANYTHING from the other three films, it is still nonetheless, a terrifying experience. Even when it is not scary, it's just unnerving and very unsettling. You know there is bad shit in the house and you know that something is eventually going to happen to everyone and for that reason, it works. The knife scene with the mom and then with the dad is so perfect, it's what makes this series so good. There were also some nice homages to other horror films as well....the bouncing ball scene from The Changeling is one.

Also, Kathryn Newton is simply magnetic in this film. When she is on screen it is much better. There are very few times when she is not, but I actually noticed a lull in the story when she is not there for about 10 minutes. She may be only 15 but she has to be one of the bright newcomers to the business and I think she will have a long career ahead of her.

I'm still only giving this a 7.5 out of 10, just below an A. And the reason is that although it is good, we've had two films now that tease us with this coven stuff. It's time to tie it all together and let us what the hell is happening. I need the fifth to tie it all up.

PA4 is tense, tight, taught, frightening and very well done. It teases us too much but what it does right, it does very right.

7.5/10

For reference, here are my scores for the other 3:

PA1: 9/10
PA2: 10/10 (one of the scariest films ever)
PA3: 6/10

Edited by Halloween baumer, 20 October 2012 - 12:30 PM.

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,087 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
I had no idea what was going on at the end. Still debating if i liked it or not.
Hail Nolan

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,321 posts
  • 111 topics
My friends saw this last night and said the ending was scary.

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,401 posts
  • 1,758 topics
No one knows whats happening at the end but it is very scary.

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics

No one knows whats happening at the end but it is very scary.

My girlfriend and I will be seeing this Monday night.. Should I see this in IMAX or a regular screen???? :thinking:

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,613 posts
  • Joined February 09, 2013
  • 93 topics
  • LocationCarcosa

My girlfriend and I will be seeing this Monday night.. Should I see this in IMAX or a regular screen???? :thinking:

Why the hell would you watch Paranormal Activity in IMAX?? Its like watching Glengarry Glen Ross in 3D..

How is Susan by the way?

vXNiNW0.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users