Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

5 Reasons TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Could (Should) Be Summer's Biggest Global Blockbuster

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Following previous breakdowns on X-Men: Days of Future Past and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the third installment of our ongoing '5 Reasons...' series detailing why Summer 2014 is up for grabs expands beyond domestic analysis and into the larger global picture for Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Although Michael Bay's fourth franchise effort is widely considered to be one of the favorites to take the Summer 2014 domestic crown, its truest potential lies outside North American borders. Below are five of the biggest factors (in no particular order) that will propel the newest Transformers sequel's worldwide box office engine.

Goodbye Shia, Hello Mark

It would be easy to join the bandwagon of criticism over Shia LaBeouf's recent shenanigans, but that's not what we're here to do. In fact, there's a very strong argument that he was quietly one of the reasons behind the success of the first three films. While many are quick to correctly point out that the Transformers themselves are the stars, there's something to be said for general audiences gravitating to what and who they're familiar with. After all, if LaBeouf was truly disliked by the average moviegoer, they wouldn't have spent nearly $2.7 billion watching him as the lead of three movies. With Shia's exit and a completely renovated cast, Age of Extinction automatically begins with a disadvantage.

However, Bay and Paramount have aimed to counter the loss by adding a genuine action star in Mark Wahlberg--fresh off the success of Lone Survivor, as well as recent hits like TedThe Fighter, and The Other Guys. Even 2 Guns and Contraband pulled respectable numbers for their genres. Wahlberg's every-man appeal has expanded quite a bit in recent years--a persona well-suited for the Transformers' popcorn universe. The fact that his main character won't be just another young kid is a clear attempt to reinvent the face of the franchise. Will it work this soon?

Americana

Wahlberg's aforementioned every-man status segues nicely into this element. One of the strengths that Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg brought to 2007's original Transformers was a fond sense of Middle American values... (more)

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...est-blockbuster

Edited by ShawnMR, 17 April 2014 - 12:09 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,851 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Could? Bay is disappointed with your lack of faith.

Posted Image

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 22/45

- Before I Go To Sleep - 4/9 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • 463 topics

Could? Bay is disappointed with your lack of faith.

Posted Image

It's mainly just to cover ass. :lol:

TASM2 is the only thing I can see even getting close to it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,525 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home
Your own prediction for DOFP is higher than both. Hmmm

slayermspaint.png

Empire

Empire

Hail Nolan!

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,176 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 0 topics
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Image

iCEJ8mj.gif

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,827 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,812 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

Great article Shawn.  I agree with everything you said.  I also like how you tell the truth about how well Shia was liked in these films.  Truth is, he was the backbone of the Transformers movies and losing him will hurt in many ways.  Hopefully, as you said, Wahlberg makes up for that.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,525 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home

Edit: ahhhh. Global.. Got it. Move along. Nothing to see here people..Next

slayermspaint.png

Kingslayer

Kingslayer

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined January 29, 2014
  • 0 topics
  • LocationCasterly Rock

This movie will do well but that doesn't mean that I have to like it  :P

a15e5538-0146-4e4e-b4b6-1db8e66b543b_zps

Captain Craig

Captain Craig

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2011
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNashville, TN-USA

People did like Shia...but lets not pretend people are seeing these films for the human angle.

Whalberg is more than enough of a respected and fan favorite to the masses for AoE to do just fine as long as the Bot/Con action is as mega awesome as it's been before. 

"Why does moving BVS to another date mean WB doesn't know what they're doing? This nitpicking is hilarious.
It'll be better for both movies if one moves. It is stupidity to release both on the same weekend. -kayumanggi

I'm on twitter: https://twitter.com/CaptainCraig1

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,172 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 149 topics

This scene in the trailer got my ticket for IMAX. Till this point the trailer looked sub-par

Posted Image

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

Superman001

Superman001

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNY

It's mainly just to cover ass. :lol:

TASM2 is the only thing I can see even getting close to it.

Hey Shawn dont you be underestimating Godzilla!!

Superman001

Superman001

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNY

People did like Shia...but lets not pretend people are seeing these films for the human angle.

Whalberg is more than enough of a respected and fan favorite to the masses for AoE to do just fine as long as the Bot/Con action is as mega awesome as it's been before. 

Amen but if Optimus Prime ready my friend for full onslaught of the legendary return of Godzilla Picture that is well done. Could be the ID4 that breaks out and shocks everyone. :)  I have faith in Godzilla  to rise and perhaps challenge Spiderman and Optimus Prime this year :)

The Futurist

The Futurist

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,253 posts
  • Joined March 27, 2012
  • 14 topics
  • LocationFederal Reserve

Mark shoud have brought in Ted with him for a crazy crossover, Autobots VS teddy bears !

Fight !

IF WE BURN, YOU BURN WITH US

Superman001

Superman001

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNY

Great article Shawn.  I agree with everything you said.  I also like how you tell the truth about how well Shia was liked in these films.  Truth is, he was the backbone of the Transformers movies and losing him will hurt in many ways.  Hopefully, as you said, Wahlberg makes up for that.

I loved Shia, he was definitely with return of the Original voice and Optimus Prime the highlight of the movies.  One thing  for sure they better never get rid of Optimus baumer. I dont care who the human factor is as long as they can act.. Optimus Prime should always be at the forefront ;)

Superman001

Superman001

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNY

Godzilla looms close.. Can he cause an uproar...

" The Arrogance of Man is thinking nature is under control" " When in fact it is the other way aroundddd!"

-Run for the hills  on May 16th the Destroyer of Worlds makes his stamp on the Summer Madness!"

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,844 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Great stuff Shawn. Your points are all clear and well done.

I don't think Transformers: Age of Extinction will be a good movie, but I don't doubt its billion dollar potential.

Edited by Fancyarcher, 17 April 2014 - 02:33 PM.

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,677 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationNew London, CT/Missing NYC

Seems pretty likely T4 makes over a billion worldwide. 

Superman001

Superman001

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • LocationNY

Seems pretty likely T4 makes over a billion worldwide. 

Definitely I have it at 335 and 1.3B WW

For some reason I still feel Godzilla if out of this world fantastic can match or beat Prime even it hits 1.2-1.3B WW.

. The King of all monsters is one of hell of a worldwide and domestic brand.. :)

Edited by Superman001, 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • 463 topics

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean? I don't have an official number on TF4 right now, but it would be higher than DoFP.

Edited by ShawnMR, 17 April 2014 - 02:53 PM.

JGAR

JGAR

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined August 17, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMetropolis
Sadly this will happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users