Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

DOMESTIC ANALYSIS: 2014 First Quarter Up 5.5 Percent From Last Year; March Sets 3-Year Low

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

2014's first quarter is in the books, and business for the first three months of the year was up 5.5 percent over the same period in 2013. This year's box office haul stood at $2.396 billion through March 31.

Unfortunately, March itself lost ground as grosses dipped 3 percent to $803 million from $828 million last year.

The good news: last month was buoyed by a collection of films rather than the top-heavy March 2013, which was carried by Oz: The Great and Powerful. This time around, 300: Rise of an EmpireDivergent, and Mr. Peabody & Sherman gave March three films topping the $95 million mark. Non-StopSon of GodThe LEGO Movie's holding power, and Noah's opening weekend also contributed healthy performances. In the end, though, last month was the lowest grossing March since 2011 ($682 million) and fell short of March 2012's record $942 million.

Driving the bulk of the year-to-date improvement was February's $699 million market gross--up 13 percent from February 2013 ($617 million), but it was mostly due to the "awesome" success of The LEGO Movie (which accounted for over one-quarter of the monthly figure). January's $893 million gross also represented the strongest January in four years, when Avatar was enjoying its phenomenal run in early 2010. Key contributors in early 2014 included Frozen's remarkable legs, plus Universal's back-to-back hits in Ride Alongand Lone Survivor.

April could be a recovery month for the market, though. Disney/Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldierhas its eye on becoming one of, if not *the*, top April performer in history while Rio 2 looks to continue the success of its 2011 predecessor. Neither of those films will face direct competition until May (or later, in the case of Rio 2).

March 2014's Top 10 Grossing Films:

1. 300: Rise of an Empire - $101.5 million
2. Divergent - $96 million
3. Mr. Peabody & Sherman - $95.1 million
4. Non-Stop - $75.3 million
5. The LEGO Movie - $55.7 million
6. Son of God - $48.5 million
7. Noah - $46.8 million
8. Need for Speed - $38 million
9. Muppets Most Wanted - $33.8 million
10. The Grand Budapest Hotel - $24.9 million

Q1's Top 10 Grossing Films (January through March):

1. The LEGO Movie - $248.5 million
2. Frozen - $135.3 million
3. Ride Along - $133.7 million
4. Lone Survivor - $124.8 million
5. 300: Rise of an Empire - $101.5 million
6. Divergent - $96 million
7. Mr. Peabody & Sherman - $95.1 million
8. Non-Stop - $85.4 million
9. American Hustle - $82.5 million
10. The Monuments Men - $76.6 million 

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...-over-last-year

Edited by ShawnMR, 02 April 2014 - 12:50 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Donald

Donald

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined January 28, 2014
  • 5 topics
  • LocationKampala,uganda,Africa!
Good article!

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Good article!

Thanks, Donald!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Donald

Donald

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Joined January 28, 2014
  • 5 topics
  • LocationKampala,uganda,Africa!
May is looking good!
June looks flat!
But july is outright horrible!
With flops like jupiter ascending!
Apes will def dominate that month!
I am starting to think that august will have a higher gross than july
  • a2k likes this

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 140 topics

I always figured 2013 was going to be a down year.  

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users