Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

5 Reasons THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 *Could* Be Summer's Biggest Domestic Blockbuster

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Last year, we took a preliminary look at one of Summer 2014's early tentpoles--X-Men: Days of Future Past--and broke down some of its keys to contending for the 2014 domestic summer box office crown. Thanks to your enthusiastic responses toward that original story, we think it's only fair to highlight the season's other contenders in what looks to be the first summer in years with more than one or two legitimate front-runners.

Thus, Part Two of this "5 Reasons..." series looks at the potential of another fan favorite: The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

It's no secret that Sony has big plans for their new iteration of the popular series. Sam Raimi's trilogy delivered some of the biggest box office numbers in history between 2002 and 2007, while 2012's reboot was a global success in its own right. Now, which elements could inspire major blockbuster status for director Marc Webb's second foray into web-slinging territory?

#1) Franchise Precedents & The Summer-Starter Effect

Considered by Hollywood as the official start to the season, the first weekend of May has delivered the eventual summer box office victor for the past two years (The Avengers and Iron Man 3). Believe it or not, that's far from the norm. Prior to 2012, only two movies had ever won a summer after opening on that weekend: 2007's Spider-Man 3 and 2002's original Spider-Man... (more)

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...est-blockbuster

Edited by ShawnMR, 13 March 2014 - 09:34 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

raniE

raniE

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined June 17, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSweden

I think the number for Spider-Man 3's total is a little off. It says 374 million (the same as Spider-Man 2), but it was 337, wasn't it?

Edited by raniE, 13 March 2014 - 10:32 AM.

kitik

kitik

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,419 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2012
  • 25 topics
  • LocationToledo

Last year the summer crown was pretty much locked up after the first week of May. This year, there should at least be some drama still going into June.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

I think the number for Spider-Man 3's total is a little off. It says 374 million (the same as Spider-Man 2), but it was 337, wasn't it?

Typo on my part. Thanks for catching!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,281 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,753 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

Shawn,

I've been sick since Sunday.  Today is the first day I have been close to 100%.  In that time, I have had one meal, and that was today (chicken and veggies).  From Sunday until last night I was pooping and puking all week.  

Just when I thought it was safe to come on line and read, I come across this article of yours.  You just made me puke again.  If ASM2 is the biggest film of the summer, it will truly be a sign of the apocalypse.  ASM was a horrible, generic, cookie cutter remake and yet it did well.  But this one just looks nauseating.  Thanks for making me hurl again today.  FRIEND.  

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Gokai Red

Gokai Red

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2013
  • 6 topics
  • LocationEarth

Shawn,

I've been sick since Sunday.  Today is the first day I have been close to 100%.  In that time, I have had one meal, and that was today (chicken and veggies).  From Sunday until last night I was pooping and puking all week.  

Just when I thought it was safe to come on line and read, I come across this article of yours.  You just made me puke again.  If ASM2 is the biggest film of the summer, it will truly be a sign of the apocalypse.  ASM was a horrible, generic, cookie cutter remake and yet it did well.  But this one just looks nauseating.  Thanks for making me hurl again today.  FRIEND.  

The pre-hate is real.

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,106 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

:rofl:

4Wl720N.gif

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,040 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
Haters going to hate :)
Hail Nolan

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,207 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 51 topics
  • LocationMichigan
this article is pretty fair. Right now I think only ASM 2, TF4 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 are the only real contenders for the top spot of the summer

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Shawn,

:rofl:

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Haters going to hate :)

I think he's being sarcastic.

Somewhat. :lol:

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,281 posts
  • 1,753 topics

Oh I'm not being sarcastic.  There is puke in the sink.  That article made me nauseous.  

I'd rather see August Osage County 2 win the summer than ASM2.  I'd rather see Gwyneth Paltrow win another best actress award that see ASM2 win the summer.  I'd rather see The Hobbit and then TDKR back to back than see ASM2 win the summer.

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,274 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 34 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

All aboard the hype train. 

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Oh I'm not being sarcastic.  There is puke in the sink.  That article made me nauseous.  

I'd rather see August Osage County 2 win the summer than ASM2.  I'd rather see Gwyneth Paltrow win another best actress award that see ASM2 win the summer.  I'd rather see The Hobbit and then TDKR back to back than see ASM2 win the summer.

Ouch. :lol:

Well, I don't think I can elicit a better reaction than that. Maybe I'll scrap the articles for Dragon 2 and TF4... :P

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 40,281 posts
  • 1,753 topics

Here's some more:

I'd rather read one of Gwyneth's cookbooks, I'd rather see Meryl and Julia breakdance to Jam On It at the end of August County 2, I'd rather declare the Reader the best film of 2008 than I would see ASM2 win the summer.

:)

The Sun's Son

The Sun's Son

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined September 15, 2013
  • 3 topics

"audience good will" what audience good will no one rembers the first one and people feel that there have been too many spiderman anyway

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,106 posts
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

I'd rather see The Hobbit and then TDKR back to back...

Sounds like a good day to me. :D

4Wl720N.gif

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

Caboose

Caboose

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • 1 topics
  • LocationBelgium

Shawn,

Shawn: tumblr_mcnhk0hy091r7ftteo1_r1_500.gif?w=

I hate most of youCubQa.png

theultimatebiu

theultimatebiu

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Joined November 13, 2011
  • 1 topics
  • LocationLondon

Shawn said same thing about Star Trek 2............tumblr_m92lr9hUBw1r25xgk.gif

pRKy3aH.gif

Gokai Red

Gokai Red

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2013
  • 6 topics
  • LocationEarth

A lot of members like to completely over exaggerate ASM's quality. Sure, it wasn't some masterpiece, but it was definitely not nearly as bad as you people make it out to be. 

This is Spider-Man, one of the world's most popular heroes, back in his summer starting date, not being held back by having to retell an origin story, not having a much bigger superhero film on its ass. I'm not saying we're gonna get record breaking numbers, but this movie will certainly do well at the box office, and does have a legitimate shot at winning the summer (I don't personally think it will, but it does have a chance). Meanwhile, you guys predict things like 300m for DOFP and Godzilla, out of fanboy hype, and say TF4 will drop below 250m because you don't like Bay. Some of the predictions I've seen thrown around here for the summer are hilarious, and not in a good way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users