Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What will be the biggest movie of 2014 not to hit number 1.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

jessie

jessie

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2011
  • 33 topics
  • LocationEngland
I thought this would be different. Last year WWZ was the highest grossing movie not to hit number 1 with over 200m with The Heat and We're The Millers being 2nd and 3rd. looking at the releases of this year, what film do you think can take the record for this year.As of now I'm going with 22 Jump Street.

Edited by Jessie, 28 February 2014 - 06:18 AM.

Films

Films

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts
  • Joined June 01, 2013
  • 202 topics
  • LocationLondon
Maleficent or a million ways to die in the west (the one that fails number 1 on OW). Also Tammy and Big Hero 6 are big contenders IMOOther contendersThe fault in our starsRio 222 jump streetThe giverPlanes 2AnnieInto the woods

WANNA BE AN OSCAR NOMINEE LIKE ME.

THEN PLAY CAYOM  ON THE LINK BELOW

http://forums.boxoff...-movies-cayom/'

KaloVisor

KaloVisor

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Joined November 15, 2011
  • 12 topics

Those are all good possibilities. maybe Chef or Neighbors ? (probably not) but I could see them both potentially reaching $100m.

maybe Dumb and Dumber to.. if it can't out seat  "Interstellar" or Horrible Bosses 2.

Top 5 Films of 2014 so far: 1# X-Men Days of Future Past, 2# Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 3# How To Train Your Dragon 2, 4# Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, 5# Guardians of the Galaxy

http://mymoviefix.blogspot.com/

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Probably a comedy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

22 Jump Street, assuming it keeps the current date next to Dragon. Will do around 55/170 and not make to to number one

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Films

Films

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts
  • Joined June 01, 2013
  • 202 topics
  • LocationLondon
I now think it will be big hero 6. Can see +200M gross but will lose to interstellar than mockingjay

Spidey Freak

Spidey Freak

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  • Joined February 27, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • Location616

Yes, I think Big Hero 6 too.

jessie

jessie

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2011
  • 33 topics
  • LocationEngland
Yeah i forgot about Big Hero 6, good call.

babz06

babz06

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined August 20, 2013
  • 13 topics
  • Locationflorida

The biggest Possibilities are:

Rio 2

The Fault in Our Stars

Neighbors

22 Jump Street

Big Hero 6

-A random Horror Fiick

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Big Hero 6 probably won't be #1, but I also have doubts that it will be that big of a performer--especially with literally nothing seen from the movie yet. Of all the Marvel-related movies to remain conservative on, that one's at the top of the list. I fear Frozen's run combined with the Marvel brand will create a lot of inflated online expectations for it.

Rio 2 is also a good suggestion. I don't see it opening very big after the glut of animation this year, but legs could be exceptional with no direct animated competition for two full months. They just have to put out another family crowd-pleaser.

Edited by ShawnMR, 28 February 2014 - 01:08 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

DamienRoc

DamienRoc

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Joined December 26, 2013
  • 21 topics
  • Locationdebatable

It could be Interstellar rather than BH6 which is the biggest non #1.

2014: 1) How to Train Your Dragon 2 2) The Raid 2  3) Veronica Mars 4) The Wind Rises 5) Patema Inverted 6) Edge of Tomorrow 7) Unforgiven (Japan) 8) X-Men: Days of Future Past 9) Guardians of the Galaxy 10) Once Upon a Time in Shanghai 11) Mr. Peabody & Sherman  12) Maleficent 13) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 14) The Lego Movie  15) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit  16) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 17) The House of Magic 18) Firestorm

AJG

AJG

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Joined January 07, 2014
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon/NY

Big Hero 6 probably won't be #1, but I also have doubts that it will be that big of a performer--especially with literally nothing seen from the movie yet. Of all the Marvel-related movies to remain conservative on, that one's at the top of the list. I fear Frozen's run combined with the Marvel brand will create a lot of inflated online expectations for it.Rio 2 is also a good suggestion. I don't see it opening very big after the glut of animation this year, but legs could be exceptional with no direct animated competition for two full months. They just have to put out another family crowd-pleaser.

Yeah I see BH6 doing less than Wreck It Ralph. Probably $350-400mil
I HATE what you love

Films

Films

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts
  • Joined June 01, 2013
  • 202 topics
  • LocationLondon
I actually think the fault in our stars will become the biggest selling film to not reach the top 3 (beating American hustle).In its first week the top 3 I think will be: maleficent, edge of tomorrow, a million ways to die in the west2nd week- HTTYD2, 22 jump street, maleficent3rd week- HTTYD2, think like a man 2, jersey boys4th week, transformers 4, HTTYD2, think like a man 2My top 11 predicitons for 2014 for film not to hit number 1Big hero 6- 210MThe fault in our stars- 175M22 jump street- 163MTammy- 155MInto the woods- 150MRio 2- 140MPlanes 2- 125MNeighbors- 122MAnnie- 120MThe giver- 118MThe muppets most wanted- 85M

Edited by Divergent Films, 28 February 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Blankments

Blankments

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • Joined June 27, 2012
  • 97 topics
  • LocationIndiana

Gotta go with either BH6 or 22JS

ban1o

ban1o

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationCanada

BH6 or 22 Jump Street. 

The Panda

The Panda

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,991 posts
  • Joined October 06, 2013
  • 60 topics
The Fault in Our Stars will hit number 1, if it doesn't it's in trouble because that means the fanbase that has been hyping it didn't rush out to see it.I actually see a very large opening for the Fault in Our Stars.

Want to Volunteer to be a Box Office Tracker for the Forums?  Click Here

(http://forums.boxoff...-user-tracking/)

Films

Films

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts
  • Joined June 01, 2013
  • 202 topics
  • LocationLondon

The Fault in Our Stars will hit number 1, if it doesn't it's in trouble because that means the fanbase that has been hyping it didn't rush out to see it.I actually see a very large opening for the Fault in Our Stars.

Im not sure. I think it will be massive but it will have great legs and there are some big films out that weekend and the week before that are going to be frontloaded

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 152 topics

Fault in our stars

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

CloneWars

CloneWars

Box Office Gold

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,276 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 35 topics
  • LocationDeath Star

It could be Interstellar rather than BH6 which is the biggest non #1.

A Nolan film not hitting number 1? Blasphemy?

Visit my website, blog, and YouTube channel at www.empowerautismnow.com

DamienRoc

DamienRoc

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Joined December 26, 2013
  • 21 topics
  • Locationdebatable

A Nolan film not hitting number 1? Blasphemy?

It's a tossup, really. I could see it happening that Interstellar gets the OW number, but BH6 ends up grossing more in total.

Although at the moment, I'm not super enthused about either box office-wise, because early November isn't that great a release date. I really want both films to do well, it's just there's not a lot of upside.

2014: 1) How to Train Your Dragon 2 2) The Raid 2  3) Veronica Mars 4) The Wind Rises 5) Patema Inverted 6) Edge of Tomorrow 7) Unforgiven (Japan) 8) X-Men: Days of Future Past 9) Guardians of the Galaxy 10) Once Upon a Time in Shanghai 11) Mr. Peabody & Sherman  12) Maleficent 13) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 14) The Lego Movie  15) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit  16) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 17) The House of Magic 18) Firestorm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users