Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Buzz Escalates For GODZILLA Following New Trailer

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,401 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

On Tuesday, Warner Bros. debuted the second trailer for Gareth Edwards' Godzilla, and early results are very encouraging for the monster remake.

Set for release on Friday, May 16, Godzilla was responsible for generating 50,217 tweets yesterday. That handily topped the next closest movie (Divergent, 25,890 tweets) for the day and represents a similar amount of Twitter activity as seen by Guardians of the Galaxy when its first trailer debuted last week. As of Wednesday morning, Twitter discussion still more than doubles that of its closest competition.

On Facebook, Godzilla added over 35,000 new fans within 24 hours of the new trailer's launch. The film's official Facebook page has been steadily grabbing new "likes" since the initial teaser trailer debuted over two months ago. Nearly 86 percent of its 458,767 fans (as of early Wednesday morning) have joined since December 10.

Godzilla: Early Box Office Prospects

Prior to the two sneak peeks, many had wondered how a new version of the iconic Japanese creature could find widespread interest from today's superhero-obsessed audiences--especially after the franchise sputtered out following 1998's much maligned version... (more)

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...ing-new-trailer

Edited by ShawnMR, 26 February 2014 - 10:01 AM.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 265 topics
  • LocationLV426
This will compete with Hobbit 2, Spidey 2, Dragon 2, and Interstellar for third best selling film of the year

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 39,497 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 645 topics

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

Save the Box Office Forums Campaign

PDC1987

PDC1987

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • 0 topics

The trailer on the official YouTube channel hit 5.9 million views in 24 hours.

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,003 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 170 topics

Divergent seems to be garnering a lot of social media attention. It has been in first or second place (behind trailer releases) for the past week. They seem to be building to their final push now.

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

The Mockingjay

• Junior Moderator
  • 11,661 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 248 topics
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted Image

output_NtMzp9_zps5ffzc7wm.gif

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 40,291 posts
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

The trailer is goddamn amazing. That is what GA wants to see.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - 155/385

- Horrible Bosses 2 - 28/43/102 | Penguins of Madagascar - 25/42/104

- The Pyramid - 5/11

- Exodus: Gods and Kings - 43/145 | Top Five - 4/9 

JediGuardia7

JediGuardia7

Indie Sensation

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined December 09, 2013
  • 7 topics
and mark my words guardians of the galaxy's second trailer will have a similar effectone down...five to go

JGAR

JGAR

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined August 17, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMetropolis
Not surprising, the GA loved this like it or not.

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home
What is your DOM predictions Shawn?

slayermspaint.png

PDC1987

PDC1987

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • 0 topics
The trailer on the official YouTube channel is still increasing by about 200,000 views an hour.

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,003 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 170 topics

The trailer on the official YouTube channel is still increasing by about 200,000 views an hour.

More than that. It was at 5.5 million views when this article was posted, now it is almost 7 million. Really weird considering that I didn't see a lot of people tweeting about it as much as the Guardians trailer was tweeted about.

However, this definitely blew up on my facebook feed. Didn't see the Guardians one shared at all in my friends circle (not a lot of them are comic fans), but this one was shared plenty of times by a lot of people.

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 265 topics
  • LocationLV426
This was at the top of Trending on Facebook yesterday. :)

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,707 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationJersey/NYC

Until it shows it at the box office, I'll just remain stubborn in thinking this is all "internet hype".

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,401 posts
  • 465 topics

What is your DOM predictions Shawn?

Still too early, but for now I'd say at least more than Pacific Rim. :P

A major factor, aside from Godzilla's own, will be word of mouth for Spidey 2 and DoFP.

Edited by ShawnMR, 26 February 2014 - 01:47 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

PDC1987

PDC1987

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • 0 topics

Until it shows it at the box office, I'll just remain stubborn in thinking this is all "internet hype".

It's not just movie buff internet geeks hyping it when everyone commenting on the trailer on every site imaginable is saying how awesome it looks, or when one trailer makes a film trend on Facebook for hours and hours.

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,707 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationJersey/NYC

It's not just movie buff internet geeks hyping it when everyone commenting on the trailer on every site imaginable is saying how awesome it looks, or when one trailer makes a film trend on Facebook for hours and hours.

Internet hype is powerful. I'll believe it when I see people showing up. Even though I think it'll out out-perform it, Pacific Rim went through the same thing last year. Just because Godzilla has name recognition doesn't mean the general public will come huge numbers. 

DeeCee

DeeCee

Summer Tentpole

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts
  • Joined December 13, 2011
  • 75 topics
  • LocationAustralia

The HALO jump always makes me thick if Gandalf and the Balrog falling.

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home

Still too early, but for now I'd say at least more than Pacific Rim. :P A major factor, aside from Godzilla's own, will be word of mouth for Spidey 2 and DoFP.

Doh :P I agree with WOM.. it will be very important...But i was actully thinking more in line of OW..Most posters here think im crazy for "only" predicting around 60 mill..I was intersted in your imput on that, but i will accept if you can't put numbers on it due to your job..

slayermspaint.png

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,401 posts
  • 465 topics

Doh :PI agree with WOM.. it will be very important...But i was actully thinking more in line of OW..Most posters here think im crazy for "only" predicting around 60 mill..I was intersted in your imput on that, but i will accept if you can't put numbers on it due to your job..

$60m would be a massive start. I can't imagine any good reason to call that a disappointing opening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users