Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LONE SURVIVOR: True Heroism & Star Power Are Poised To Give 2014 An Early Hit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...-box-office-hit

Mark Wahlberg leads the Peter Berg-directed war drama, based on the bestselling heroic true story of four Navy SEALs on a deadly mission targeting an important al-Qaeda operative. Marcus Luttrell, portrayed by Wahlberg in the film, authored the original book and became involved with the picture to help ensure Hollywood did their emotional story justice.

War films--even from prestigious filmmakers--have historically been hit or miss at the box office. For everyBlack Hawk DownZero Dark Thirty, or Act of Valor, there's been Green ZoneThe Hurt Locker, or United 93. Those latter two films were highly regarded among critics (with Hurt Locker representing the lowest grossing Best Picture Oscar-winner in history at $17 million), but none found much of a commercial audience to speak of.

The reasons vary, but typically, Americans didn't favor movies that hit too close to real world events in the years after 9/11... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...-box-office-hit

Edited by ShawnMR, 08 January 2014 - 03:13 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,196 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 51 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Isn't Taylor Kitsch in this movie? So it should bomb then

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 37,130 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 526 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Isn't Taylor Kitsch in this movie? So it should bomb then

Yes, he is. Our favorite box office punchline of 2012.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- Hercules - 18/38 | Lucy - 30/92

- Guardians of the Galaxy - 64/172 | Get On Up - 27/95

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 54/150|Into the Storm - 15/35|Step Up All In - 10/26|The Hundred-Foot Journey - 11/34

- The Expendables 3 - 26/73 | The Giver - 13/30 | Let's Be Cops - 21/29/72

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location

VfBIN.png

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location

But yeah, I think this should do pretty well. Despite the obvious disadvantage of Kitschness.

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 37,130 posts
  • 526 topics
  • LocationPortugal

VfBIN.png

This mirrors the legendary cover of a magazine of M Night Shyamalan that said he was the next Spielberg. The persons who wrote these articles should feel very embarrassed right now.

Edited by CJohn, 08 January 2014 - 03:22 PM.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- Hercules - 18/38 | Lucy - 30/92

- Guardians of the Galaxy - 64/172 | Get On Up - 27/95

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 54/150|Into the Storm - 15/35|Step Up All In - 10/26|The Hundred-Foot Journey - 11/34

- The Expendables 3 - 26/73 | The Giver - 13/30 | Let's Be Cops - 21/29/72

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,038 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
Poor taylor kitsch
Hail Nolan

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,403 posts
  • 119 topics
  • LocationWisconsin
He's not the featured player and I always thought he would be better as part of an ensemble

seegs

seegs

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Joined August 21, 2013
  • 0 topics

He's not the featured player and I always thought he would be better as part of an ensemble

He wasn't bad in this but overall I thought this movie wasn't very good.

CrispyLips

CrispyLips

Victoria Concordia Crescit

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,693 posts
  • 122 topics
  • LocationDenmark

But yeah, I think this should do pretty well. Despite the obvious disadvantage of Kitschness.

That name should go in to the BOF dictionary like many other legen-dary names as SHitto, Fasbbender's Schlong, La Douschebag, Lawsbians and Floppit. 

I've had my ups and downs, my fair share of bumpy roads and heavy winds, that is what made me what I am today. Now I stand here before you, what you see is a body crafted to perfection, a pair of legs engineered to defy the laws of physics and a mindset to master the most EPIC of splits. #HAIL NOLAN

CrispyLips

CrispyLips

Victoria Concordia Crescit

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,693 posts
  • 122 topics
  • LocationDenmark

This mirrors the legendary cover of a magazine of M Night Shyamalan that said he was the next Spielberg. The persons who wrote these articles should feel very embarrassed right now.

It's like a curse to be the guy behind the articles next piece exposé. 

I've had my ups and downs, my fair share of bumpy roads and heavy winds, that is what made me what I am today. Now I stand here before you, what you see is a body crafted to perfection, a pair of legs engineered to defy the laws of physics and a mindset to master the most EPIC of splits. #HAIL NOLAN

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,196 posts
  • 51 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Taylor Kitsch can still have a good career. He should just pick some strong supporting roles. Also he should do a Nicholas Sparks movie ASAP

Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined April 28, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationAsgard

The movie is fantastic, and Taylor is excellent in it, so are Wahlberg, Foster and Hirsch. 

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Trying something new this week. Will be posting weekend #s updates in addition to this original story.

http://www.boxoffice...-box-office-hit

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Early weekend analysis: http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-01-08-will-lone-survivor-be-2014s-first-box-office-hit

PDC1987

PDC1987

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • 0 topics

Media journalists in general love to do this. They latch on to the newest "star" getting hype and claim them to be "the next ..." before even seeing if their career will last at all, or even truly take off, let alone rival that of the person they compare them to.

These writers never learn their mistake, as they continue to do it. Hell, to this day every new female pop singer that comes around is "the new Madonna," even though her career will *never* be duplicated and every one of the wannabe tarts the moniker has been bestowed upon has faded in to oblivion without coming close.

Edited by PDC1987, 11 January 2014 - 02:43 PM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,067 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Media journalists in general love to do this. They latch on to the newest "star" getting hype and claim them to be "the next ..." before even seeing if their career will last at all, or even truly take off, let alone rival that of the person they compare them to.

These writers never learn their mistake, as they continue to do it. Hell, to this day every new female pop signer that comes around is "the new Madonna," even though her career will *never* be duplicated and every one of the wannabe tarts the moniker has been bestowed upon has faded in to oblivion without coming close.

They do it because it sells magazines.

4Wl720N.gif

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

Hasan Ahmad

Hasan Ahmad

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 31 topics
  • LocationSomewhere

Just throwing this out there. Exerpts from the book

Spoiler

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,067 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Who cares about the book and his personal opinions about politics? They weren't much a factor in the movie at all (though I know the book is pimped hard by Fox and the GOP).

4Wl720N.gif

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,957 posts
  • 124 topics
  • LocationPilipinas

When Pitt was just starting, were all his films hits? I just wonder.

BFAVzkL.gif?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users