Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Shared X-MEN & FANTASTIC FOUR Universes Highlight The Risks Of Post-AVENGERS Thinking

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...ematic-universe

The Hollywood Reporter published a quote today from Simon Kinberg that reveals wisdom as much as it does caution. "I have a lot of ideas on how to build those [X-Men and Fantastic Four] brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," Kinberg said.

Be careful, Hollywood: aiming to be too much "like" something else has often marked the beginning of the end for great box office runs.

The fantasy genre boomed with the likes of The Lord of the RingsHarry Potter, and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe before subsequent flicks tried to follow their footsteps too closely (see The Golden CompassEragon, e.g.). Ditto for CG animation after the turn of the century when the success of Pixar and DreamWorks' Shrek series inspired numerous copycats, diluting that format's consistent blockbuster appeal beginning in the mid-to-late 2000s... (more)

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 January 2014 - 03:34 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,380 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

They will obviously fuck up. It doesn't even make much sense to put X-Men and Fantastic Four in the same universe.

And don't get me started on Sony and their Sinister 6 and Venom movies plans. 7 villains are having standalone movies before Wonder Woman, that will have to be introduced in a fucking Man of Steel sequel that may not be a Man of Steel sequel but an abortion.

EDIT: And how is Sony planning to sell movies about villains?!

Edited by CJohn, 06 January 2014 - 02:56 PM.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- As Above So Below - 10/12/24 | The November Man - 9/11/13/24

- September 4 weekend is a disgrace, kill it with fire

- Dolphin Tale 2 - 12/42 | No Good Deed - 15/35

The Maze Runner - 22/60 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 18/55 | This is Where I Leave You - 7/22 

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 36 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

They will obviously fuck up. It doesn't even make much sense to put X-Men and Fantastic Four in the same universe.

And don't get me started on Sony and their Sinister 6 and Venom movies plans. 7 villains are having standalone movies before Wonder Woman, that will have to be introduced in a fucking Man of Steel sequel that may not be a Man of Steel sequel but an abortion.

I know. Warner Brothers really has no idea (and clearly has no interest) what to with Wonder Woman.

A Wonder Woman has so much potential. I'm really disappointed.

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,731 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

EDIT: And how is Sony planning to sell movies about villains?!

I'm fairly certain the Sinister Six movie will die in development hell

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,380 posts
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

I'm fairly certain the Sinister Six movie will die in development hell

There is a strong chance that what you said happens, but it still got announced. I thought by now WB had already said something.

The Maze Runner - 22/60 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 18/55 | This is Where I Leave You - 7/22 

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,731 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan
A Venom movie has been talked about for almost a decade and never happened

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,380 posts
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

I know. Warner Brothers really has no idea (and clearly has no interest) what to with Wonder Woman.

A Wonder Woman has so much potential. I'm really disappointed.

I think WB has no idea what to do with DC. Point. They just want to make with DC what Marvel did. As fast as possible. Marvel took time. WB is just fast-tracking what may be a major trainwreck.

EDIT: And I loved Man of Steel, so something like this coming from me is bad.

Edited by CJohn, 06 January 2014 - 03:06 PM.

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,380 posts
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

A Venom movie has been talked about for almost a decade and never happened

Sony seems to be talking with more certainties now.

DamienRoc

DamienRoc

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Joined December 26, 2013
  • 21 topics
  • Locationdebatable

I think WB has no idea what to do with DC. Point. They just want to make with DC what Marvel did. As fast as possible. Marvel took time. WB is just fast-tracking what may be a major trainwreck.

EDIT: And I loved Man of Steel, so something like this coming from me is bad.

Not just WB. DC in general:

http://comicsallianc...comics-history/

2014: 1) How to Train Your Dragon 2 2) The Raid 2  3) Veronica Mars 4) The Wind Rises 5) Patema Inverted 6) Edge of Tomorrow 7) Unforgiven (Japan) 8) X-Men: Days of Future Past 9) Guardians of the Galaxy 10) Once Upon a Time in Shanghai 11) Mr. Peabody & Sherman  12) Maleficent 13) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 14) The Lego Movie  15) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit  16) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 17) The House of Magic 18) Firestorm

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 36 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

With those of all those rumored Justice League appearances, most certainly.

If Warner Brothers gave the DC universe as a whole the same love and attention they gave to Superman and Batman (as well as Marvel with their properties, and heck Sony and Fox with the properties they own), not only would we have a Wonder Woman movie by now, but we would possibly have a Justice League film and a DC movieverse.

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 36 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Not just WB. DC in general:

http://comicsallianc...comics-history/

The movie failure of DC has nothing to do with the company, but the studio that owns them.

DC has plenty of engaging and interesting characters, in fact I think they have more interesting characters with untapped potential that could make for great movies.

Also Jack Kirby chose to work on Jimmy Olsen, it wasn't DC choice, it was his.

Plus Chris is very marvel biased.

Edited by Fancyarcher, 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM.

ECSTASY

ECSTASY

Don't Give Up On Your Dreams

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,999 posts
  • 98 topics
  • LocationSouthern California

The Hollywood Reporter published a quote today from Simon Kinberg that reveals wisdom as much as it does caution. "I have a lot of ideas on how to build those [X-Men and Fantastic Four] brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," Kinberg said.

Be careful, Hollywood: aiming to be too much "like" something else has often marked the beginning of the end for great box office runs.

The fantasy genre boomed with the likes of The Lord of the RingsHarry Potter, and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe before subsequent flicks tried to follow their footsteps too closely (see The Golden CompassEragon, e.g.). Ditto for CG animation after the turn of the century when the success of Pixar and DreamWorks' Shrek series inspired numerous copycats, diluting that format's consistent blockbuster appeal beginning in the mid-to-late 2000s... (more)

That quote is old though. I posted it in the Xmen thread a while ago.

bcK3U2S.gif

Ruthie

Ruthie

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Joined October 20, 2012
  • 0 topics

Shawn, fantastic article!!  During Hollywood's many years history, how many times have we seen one movie studio blaze a trail and the rest unleash what amounts to poor imitations as they play catch up to get a piece of the cash pie?  From mysteries, to film noir, to Spaghetti Westerns, to musicals, to Saturday serial sci-fi, it's happened over and over again. 

But does it seem to you that our most recent history is more dense with these examples?  We not only have comic-book and CGI movies, but we have YA, and found-footage horror, and movies based on toys and games, and a plethora of remakes.  Is that a lot for a relatively narrow time frame?

Meteors don't travel in flocks. 

"...the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children..." Psalm 103:17

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Shawn, fantastic article!!  During Hollywood's many years history, how many times have we seen one movie studio blaze a trail and the rest unleash what amounts to poor imitations as they play catch up to get a piece of the cash pie?  From mysteries, to film noir, to Spaghetti Westerns, to musicals, to Saturday serial sci-fi, it's happened over and over again. 

But does it seem to you that our most recent history is more dense with these examples?  We not only have comic-book and CGI movies, but we have YA, and found-footage horror, and movies based on toys and games, and a plethora of remakes.  Is that a lot for a relatively narrow time frame?

Thanks, Ruthie! I think you're spot on about there being plenty more examples in recent years. The young adult explosion especially.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Impact

Impact

Junior Admin

• Junior Admin
  • 38,027 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 864 topics
  • LocationNew Mexico, USA

Well of course crossovers are nothing new-they have been doing them forever. (On TV spinoffs were a lot more popular in the heyday of the 50s, 60s and 70s)

While this could be a good idea-and I rather see them team up together then with the Avengers, this could be a problem. Fatigue with the X-Men will happen (Even if Marvel took over people will be too tired of them to watch it)

The DC thing is just too much for one film.

(I brought up the Marvel studio thing before a bunch of times wont get into it again :lol:)

Zyzzyx Road: OW-10 dollars
Total gross-20 dollars

Who were Henry the VIII and the Duke of Earl? Unsure-but they must of been great to have songs about them.

Spidey Freak

Spidey Freak

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • Joined February 27, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • Location616

The X-Men + FF shared universe thing has been confirmed?

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 36 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

No, they've just talked about the possibility.

Has yet to be confirmed in the films.

Ruthie

Ruthie

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Joined October 20, 2012
  • 0 topics

No, they've just talked about the possibility.

Has yet to be confirmed in the films.

And to Shawn's point, such a crossover maybe too much, too little, too late.

Meteors don't travel in flocks. 

"...the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children..." Psalm 103:17

druv10

druv10

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts
  • 33 topics
  • LocationHouston, TX

This crossover would be a train wreck. How do you explain humans loving F4 but loathing Mutants so much that they want them exterminated? 

Posted Image

AJG

AJG

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Joined January 07, 2014
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon/NY
Disney need to put an end to this.

Those Spidey spinoffs are a terrible idea and I genuinely can't imagine why the FF and Xmen would ever join forces.

If something kills this whole comic book thing, it's gonna be these movies

Edited by AJG, 07 January 2014 - 09:36 PM.

I HATE what you love

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users