Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ANCHORMAN 2: Why Paramount's Holiday Tentpole Is Kind Of A Big Deal; Can It Join The $200M Club?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,467 posts

Did you know Will Ferrell has a new movie coming out?

Unless you've been living under a rock, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues has probably found a way to permeate its existence into your life over the past few months. The whole shebang started in March 2012 when, on Conan, Ferrell himself made it official that an Anchorman sequel was going into production. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg.

His Ron Burgundy character has since helped Chrysler Group boast a 59 percent year-to-year jump in sales while promoting their Dodge Durango. From his own Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor to interviewing Peyton Manning, last week's Saturday Night Live appearance, a line of underwear from Jockey, anchoring a local North Dakota newscast, a duet with Robin Thicke, and much more, Farrell and his newsman persona have been churning out viral bits like clockwork. And we think it's about to pay off with big box office returns.

Padding the strength of the marketing campaign is the fact that moviegoers have eaten up comedy like candy in 2013. The year has delivered an impressive string of hits from the genre, beginning with February's Identity Thief ($134.5 million). Summer built the trend with This Is the End ($101.5 million), The Heat ($159.4 million) and We're the Millers ($150.4 million) before Paramount's own Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa walloped box office expectations with a $100+ million stateside haul. Even The Hangover Part III did profitable business thanks to its overseas performance.

Anchorman 2, though, is the pièce de résistance. Fans have begged for a sequel to 2004's original flick--a modest box office hit that significantly bolstered its following in the post-theatrical market, becoming one of the most oft-quoted and meme'd comedies of the last decade. At the time, Ferrell was mostly known to the masses as "that funny guy from SNL and Elf". For the last eleven years, he's built a consistent resume of hit laughers with only a few misses in between. Transforming into comedy's leading man, the cult-like status of the first film has evolved into legit franchise-like buzz beyond his core fan base... (more)

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...t-and-effective

Edited by ShawnMR, 10 December 2013 - 03:36 PM.

• iJack likes this

TASM2 (revising) | Neighbors (35/139) | MDA (15/70) | Godzilla (77/240) | DoFP (120 4-day/277)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Biggestgeekever

Biggestgeekever

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationWashington

I've been beginning to think it's 5-day take will exceed the total of its predecessor. The buzz seems to be huge enough for that kind of opening, and $200m should be easy from there.

• mahnamahna likes this

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,030 posts
  • Locationmember of clone club
I think the marketing has been great
Hail Nolan

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,383 posts
  • LocationCelebrating The End Of The Undertaker's Streak At WM XXX.. That's BEST for Business

Did you know Will Ferrell has a new movie coming out?

Unless you've been living under a rock, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues has probably found a way to permeate its existence into your life over the past few months. The whole shebang started in March 2012 when, on Conan, Ferrell himself made it official that an Anchorman sequel was going into production. 

That was just the tip of the iceberg.

His Ron Burgundy character has since helped Chrysler Group boast a 59 percent year-to-year jump in sales while promoting their Dodge Durango. From his own Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor to interviewing Peyton Manning, last week's Saturday Night Live appearance, a line of underwear from Jockey, anchoring a local North Dakota newscast, a duet with Robin Thicke, and much more, Farrell and his newsman persona have been churning out viral bits like clockwork. And we think it's about to pay off with big box office returns.

Padding the strength of the marketing campaign is the fact that moviegoers have eaten up comedy like candy in 2013. The year has delivered an impressive string of hits from the genre, beginning with February's Identity Thief ($134.5 million). Summer built the trend with This Is the End ($101.5 million), The Heat ($159.4 million) and We're the Millers ($150.4 million) before Paramount's own Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa walloped box office expectations with a $100+ million stateside haul. Even The Hangover Part III did profitable business thanks to its overseas performance.

Anchorman 2, though, is the pièce de résistance. Fans have begged for a sequel to 2004's original flick--a modest box office hit that significantly bolstered its following in the post-theatrical market, becoming one of the most oft-quoted and meme'd comedies of the last decade. At the time, Ferrell was mostly known to the masses as "that funny guy from SNL and Elf". For the last eleven years, he's built a consistent resume of hit laughers with only a few misses in between. Transforming into comedy's leading man, the cult-like status of the first film has evolved into legit franchise-like buzz beyond his core fan base... (more)

Full Story: http://www.boxoffice...t-and-effective

All I'm gonna say is that your MODS were to quick to locking my thread I had titled "ANCHORMAN 2 Over/Under CATCHING FIRE" and it was dismissed too quickly.. You'll all regret doing that when this thing breaks out super big at the box office.. This is a case where the stars and planets have aligned at the right place and right time a week before Christmas and New Years Holiday and ALOT of $$$$$ is going to me made, moreso then people think.. I'm asking to unlock that thread since it's really no more ridiculous than 90% of the clubs created on this site Shawn..

Edited by BKB IS AQUAMAN, 10 December 2013 - 03:46 PM.

• Captain Jack Sparrow, iJack and mahnamahna like this
http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,030 posts
There is already anchorman 2 clubs why it was locked and they were clubs that could actually happen
Hail Nolan

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts
  • LocationLV4266
ShawnMR, I made BKB's new username since he lost a bet against me. :)
I hope this movie does great! Looks funny!
  • ShawnMR likes this
From Mango:
Everyone has something to be confident about. Even if it's stupid and pointless and entirely irrelevant, there is probably something you do better than everyone you know.

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

Because a 400 million dollar Anchorman thread is silly BKB.  It's like creating a  Fast 7 over Titanic club.

The marketing has been the best I have ever seen.  And he's not just doing this in the States.  Burgundy has been here in Canada on the biggest sports show in our country and he has hosted shows on it.  I've also seen stuff with him in places like Australia.  This is unprecedented marketing and if this misses 200 I'll be surprised.

• ShawnMR and iJack like this

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,383 posts
  • LocationCelebrating The End Of The Undertaker's Streak At WM XXX.. That's BEST for Business

Because a 400 million dollar Anchorman thread is silly BKB.  It's like creating a  Fast 7 over Titanic club.

The marketing has been the best I have ever seen.  And he's not just doing this in the States.  Burgundy has been here in Canada on the biggest sports show in our country and he has hosted shows on it.  I've also seen stuff with him in places like Australia.  This is unprecedented marketing and if this misses 200 I'll be surprised.

So with that having been said, what number would ANCHORMAN 2 need to get up to for you all to unlock this thread of mine???

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,543 posts

Just be realistic.  You're a smart guy, you know it has no chance of going over 400. 

And if you are going to make a club, do it in the club forum.  I guess if you make one for over 250, it's far enough away from 150 that it would stay open.

• ShawnMR likes this

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,030 posts
Shame he didnt get a chance to do sportscenter
Hail Nolan

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 35,543 posts

Shame he didnt get a chance to do sportscenter

He did it here.

Blankments

Blankments

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts
  • LocationIndiana

At this point, I'd be more surprised if it didn't hit 200M DOM than if it did

• baumer likes this

WINNER OF THE WINTER GAME 

^me exercising my bragging rights

oU4aYgG.gif

Dragon 2 over 300M Flight

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

I mean, 400 is certainly crazy, but the hype and marketing for this is through the roof. Front page of CNN, cover of Rolling Stone, hosting Sportscenter, huge presales.....too bad it isn't opening over a three day, because I don't think 65 would have been out of the question. Seriously. I think 80 million for the five day and 200 total can happen. And if it's actually great? Even more. I just am not confident that it will be.

• iJack likes this
IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I imagine it'll be frontloaded but if its good then it'll have solid legs, $200m is doable, the budget is only $50m but the P&A is likely double that and I imagine Ferrell and co are on Backend deals as well, internationally I think it will do well in places like UK and Australia but elsewhere is unknown since American comedy doesn't alway translate.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Cult Classic

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
The film will average at least $8M a day for the eight day period from Dec. 25 - Jan. 1. It will likely come close to $90M in the days leading up to Christmas. $200M should definitely be attainable.
  • baumer likes this

mahnamahna

mahnamahna

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Why is everyone surprised that this will perform more like the 2 Austin Powers sequels and Meet the Fockers than The Campaign?

I could have told you a sequel to the most quotable comedy of the 21st century would be huge back in 2007  :lol:

A Song of Iceroll and Fire

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts

I hope this succeeds for Paramount's sake.  Besides WWZ, they haven't had a big hit since Transformers 3.

M0Ftdso.gif

The Hottest 40 Women/Men Ceremony is underway! Check it out HERE! and bring some tissues.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,467 posts

All I'm gonna say is that your MODS were to quick to locking my thread I had titled "ANCHORMAN 2 Over/Under CATCHING FIRE" and it was dismissed too quickly.. You'll all regret doing that when this thing breaks out super big at the box office.. This is a case where the stars and planets have aligned at the right place and right time a week before Christmas and New Years Holiday and ALOT of $$$$$ is going to me made, moreso then people think.. I'm asking to unlock that thread since it's really no more ridiculous than 90% of the clubs created on this site Shawn..

Am I understanding you correctly? That you're predicting Anchorman 2 will make close to $400 million?

• iJack and Blankments like this

TASM2 (revising) | Neighbors (35/139) | MDA (15/70) | Godzilla (77/240) | DoFP (120 4-day/277)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,383 posts

Am I understanding you correctly? That you're predicting Anchorman 2 will make close to $400 million?

At the moment based on the stellar marketing for this, YES..

• iJack likes this

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts

What's there to understand? It's BKB, resident of here:

loony_bin.jpg

• Captain Jack Sparrow and Tauriel like this

M0Ftdso.gif

The Hottest 40 Women/Men Ceremony is underway! Check it out HERE! and bring some tissues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users