Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com: What Box Office Treasures Await THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is raring up for its December 13 domestic launch, and the anticipated film is tracking for a possible debut north of $75 million. Last year's An Unexpected Journey set the current December record with an $84.6 million bow.

Industry tracking suggests interest in Smaug is about 9 percent behind where Journey stood at the same point before release. According to the survey, men over the age of 25 represent the sector where the most anticipation has been lost, while women under 25 have retained the most excitement (giving it a higher "first choice" score than Journey at the same point before release). Generally speaking, the first Hobbit film's tracking peaked early before critical reviews came in--leading to a drop-off in upfront demand.

Our social network number-crunching reveals that Twitter discussion for Smaug is 5 percent ahead of the levels of its predecessor. The quality of tweets has shown improvement with Smaug's 9.4 positive-to-negative comment ratio on Twitter (versus 5-to-1 for Journey).

On Flixster, the second Hobbit boasts an impressive 99 percent anticipation score (besting Journey by 4 percent)--however, that's aggregated from nearly 33 percent fewer voters, indicating more modest expectations from the online crowd. The daily rate of new Facebook fans is virtually identical between the two films, while over 12 million people have "liked" The Hobbit's official page in the past year.

The Hobbit at the Box Office (So Far)

An Unexpected Journey has been the target of some criticism from both fans and non-fans since, and before, its release... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...t-december-gold

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 December 2013 - 10:05 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

ChD

ChD

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,943 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2012
  • 59 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

I say it will pass 300M again, but this time, it's going to gross a whole lot more overseas. I predict 2nd place World wide behind Iron Man, although first place isn't out of reach just yet.

I think it has caught on a lot with over seas audience since I myself see more interest in this compared to the first.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

Tauriel

Tauriel

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Joined June 05, 2013
  • 15 topics
  • Locationprobably will be conquered by the octopus soon

nice article Shawn thx

while women under 25 have retained the most excitement

well who can rsist him!? :P

tumblr_mxe27bkoww1sxmedeo1_500.jpg

Loki is not enough

agree with Chd's prediction

I see fire legs!

Edited by Leyla, 06 December 2013 - 10:27 AM.

tumblr_n835tfQHiq1qgs0hco10_250.gif

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics
I expect it'll dip slightly on OW but still gross over $300m, it'll be interesting how the competition affects it as Anchorman 2 is likely to open very well, not sure on competition from American Hustle, Saving Mr Bank, Walter Mitty and Wolf of Wall Street,

The reviews seem more positive this time round which is a good sign,

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,115 posts
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

That's one creepy image, Leyla. :lol:

4Wl720N.gif

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

Tauriel

Tauriel

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Joined June 05, 2013
  • 15 topics

That's one creepy image, Leyla. :lol:

well today's fans are like that ;)

well its better than preggo Loki :P

Accursed Arachnid!™

Accursed Arachnid!™

Spider-Mod, Spider-Mod...

• Moderator Emeritus
  • 7,581 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 32 topics
  • LocationThis forum continues to prove that those in the minority have the loudest voices.

A very restrained article from "Samwise the Brave". Also, you can never go wrong with words like "titular", IMO. :P

R.I.P. Spider-Man,

Thanks for the memories Lee, Ditko, Kirby, Romita, Thomas, Conway, Kane, Andru, Wein, Wolfman, Claremont, Byrne, Pollard, Mantlo, Buscema, Milgrom, Stern, Romita Jr, DeFalco, Frenz, David, Larocque, Dematteis, Zeck, Michelinie, McFarlane, Busiek, Saviuk, Larsen, Bagley, Bendis, Straczynski, Weiringo, Weeks, Deodato Jr, Smith, Dodsons, Raimi, Koepp, Maguire, Sargent, Webb, Vanderbilt, Garfield, et al.

spider-man-50-page_zps5c72c54c.jpg

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 136 topics

The marketing team behind DOS could not have done a better job.  We all now wait with anticipation next weekend's box-office results.  

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

Tauriel

Tauriel

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Joined June 05, 2013
  • 15 topics

The marketing team behind DOS could not have done a better job.  We all now wait with anticipation next weekend's box-office results.  

+ they did a great job not to show the best bits in the trailers like some other films

Edited by Leyla, 06 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,115 posts
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

It sounds like PJ has taken the relatively simple (and stealthy) escape from the Wood Elves and amped it up into a mega action-sequence, much as he did with the Moria descent down the stairs in FOTR (in the book, it was a scant handful of lines with no action whatsoever), except on a much bigger scale.

Edited by Telemachos, 06 December 2013 - 11:28 AM.

4Wl720N.gif

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

nice article Shawn thx

Thanks!

A very restrained article from "Samwise the Brave". Also, you can never go wrong with words like "titular", IMO. :P

;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

Made a few minor edits to note updated tracking. Also, $280m is the official BoxOffice forecast as of today.

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 December 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,115 posts
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Made a few minor edits to note updated tracking. Also, $280m is the official BoxOffice forecast as of today.

So........ in or out of baumer's club? :lol:

4Wl720N.gif

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

So........ in or out of baumer's club? :lol:

Haha, I guess BoxOffice's official stance would be "abstain".

Personally, I'm still in... but only barely ($270-275m). These early reviews are really backing up what I've suspected for a long time with regard to the first film having suffered the most from the late split into 3 movies... but on that note, I should probably just make my final prediction right now before being swayed anymore next week. :lol:

I'm also basing that domestic prediction on a $75m-ish opening, so ultimately, I'm giving Smaug a better multiplier than AUJ no matter what.

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 December 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

The Lone Pfisterite

• Junior Admin
  • 30,115 posts
  • 678 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Haha, I guess BoxOffice's official stance would be "abstain".

Personally, I'm still in... but only barely ($270-275m). These early reviews are really backing up what I've suspected for a long time with regard to the first film having suffered the most from the late split into 3 movies... but on that note, I should probably just make my final prediction right now before being swayed anymore next week. :lol:

I'm also basing that domestic prediction on a $75m-ish opening, so ultimately, I'm giving Smaug a better multiplier than AUJ no matter what.

We'll see what happens. I'm just going to forget about box office after today and try and enjoy the movie for whatever it ends up being.

So what you're saying, Shawn, is that the club stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the $280m+ club is true.

4Wl720N.gif

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

So what you're saying, Shawn, is that the club stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the $280m+ club is true.

lotr-47.jpg

Edited by ShawnMR, 06 December 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 236 topics
  • LocationLV426
Hopefully many treasures
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

yjs

yjs

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined December 05, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSeoul

I'm relatively new to the forum and love to see how Shawn communicates with forum members. nice.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • 462 topics

I'm relatively new to the forum and love to see how Shawn communicates with forum members. nice.

Thanks, yjs! It's definitely something I always feel is important after past experiences with other forums.

And if I haven't already welcomed you to the boards, we're glad to have you. :)

The Stingray

The Stingray

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,592 posts
  • Joined February 09, 2013
  • 93 topics
  • LocationCarcosa

He uses his power to crush his opponents. Like Stalin.

vXNiNW0.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users