Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com: Will A MADEA CHRISTMAS Invite Audiences Beyond Tyler Perry's Core Fans?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

December 13's A Madea Christmas will mark media mogul Tyler Perry's sixth feature film starring his titular character, and the overall fifteenth flick with his name attached to the title since 2005's original Diary of a Mad Black Woman. Perry has crafted himself something of a personal empire over the last decade, and the holiday box office is poised to see the latest fruits of his work.

Obviously, Perry's shtick has never been for everyone. But lost behind that fact is the reality that he's become one of the most reliable names in the movie business. Outside of the occasional misfire (ahem, Alex Cross), Perry has built a reputation for going after a specific audience and satisfying that crowd with remarkable consistency. His films have averaged $22 million on opening weekend and nearly $50 million by the end of their runs. Virtually two out of every three of his movies have debuted to more than $20 million.

The crowning achievement (thus far) has been 2009's Madea Goes to Jail. It banked a stellar $41 million debut onward to $90.5 million in early 2009. In June/July 2012, his second most successful Madea pic (Madea's Witness Protection) earned $65.7 million as the first of his movies to open inside the summer calendar.

Now, Perry ventures into the holiday season for the first time, and early buzz indicates that A Madea Christmas is reaching out to the broadest extents of his audience base.. (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...ea-christmas-be

Edited by ShawnMR, 04 December 2013 - 01:19 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Age of Robertron

Age of Robertron

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 40 topics
  • LocationSydney, Australia

The Madea name, I feel, is what limits the films.

babz06

babz06

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined August 20, 2013
  • 12 topics
  • Locationflorida

It's gonna be a hit with his core fanbase and being one of the only true Christmas films being released during Christmas will be attractive to general audiences. 30mil opening is locked and Christmas legs should carry it over 70m. 

30m/80m

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

The Madea name, I feel, is what limits the films.

Heh. That brings up one of the great debates about Perry's films. They may not be blockbusters, but generally speaking, the business model behind them still works after nearly a decade. And out of all of them, the Madea name has been the most successful.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

TheCoon

TheCoon

Straight-to-DVD

• Suspended / Banned
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined December 02, 2013
  • 0 topics

This will bomb because it opens  the same day as DOS

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 255 topics
  • LocationLV426

This will bomb because it opens the same day as DOS

They can Co exist, they are different enough. :P

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Blankments

Blankments

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts
  • Joined June 27, 2012
  • 72 topics
  • LocationIndiana

This will bomb because it opens  the same day as DOS

:lol:

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

Someone PLEASE start a Madea > Hobbit OW club. I'll pay you... in likes.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • 255 topics
  • LocationLV426

Someone PLEASE start a Madea > Hobbit OW club. I'll pay you... in likes.

I will start one if you give me the A OK.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • 255 topics
  • LocationLV426
Shawn told me to either make this topic PR else he would force me to have a permanent avatar of Madea. :(
Anyway, there is a Christmas theme, Madea is a well known Tyler Perry character, yada yada, t
The Madea films have always been popular....yada yada.....Hobbit received terrible WOM, and the sequel looks terrible, I mean no Gollum annoyingly squeaking My Precious! And too much Bloom, he hasn't been in anything good recently.

Outline for a club.

Edited by Gingy, 04 December 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • 255 topics
  • LocationLV426
And what's funny is that I started the Hobbit DOS over 320 mil club. :P

toddmthatcher

toddmthatcher

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined November 20, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • Locationcolumbus, oh

I think the holiday theme for it should lead Madea Christmas to the second highest opening of the series with a low 30s debut

http://toddmthatcher...ice-prediction/

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away

December 13's A Madea Christmas will mark media mogul Tyler Perry's sixth feature film starring his titular character, and the overall fifteenth flick with his name attached to the title since 2005's original Diary of a Mad Black Woman. Perry has crafted himself something of a personal empire over the last decade, and the holiday box office is poised to see the latest fruits of his work.

Obviously, Perry's shtick has never been for everyone. But lost behind that fact is the reality that he's become one of the most reliable names in the movie business. Outside of the occasional misfire (ahem, Alex Cross), Perry has built a reputation for going after a specific audience and satisfying that crowd with remarkable consistency. His films have averaged $22 million on opening weekend and nearly $50 million by the end of their runs. Virtually two out of every three of his movies have debuted to more than $20 million.

The crowning achievement (thus far) has been 2009's Madea Goes to Jail. It banked a stellar $41 million debut onward to $90.5 million in early 2009. In June/July 2012, his second most successful Madea pic (Madea's Witness Protection) earned $65.7 million as the first of his movies to open inside the summer calendar.

Now, Perry ventures into the holiday season for the first time, and early buzz indicates that A Madea Christmas is reaching out to the broadest extents of his audience base.. (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...ea-christmas-be

No.. Movies like this strictly appeal to the Black audience that eat this shit up and because of that, this movie will make around 30-40M in it's OW and drop like a rock after that.. It does sort of make me wonder what Black people see in this other than spoofing their culture??

Edited by BKBniss, 08 December 2013 - 02:17 PM.

http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics

Tyler Perry films seem to only do well in America, Lionsgate did release a few of his movies in places like the UK but they bombed. I'm sure they're cheap to make so that Lionsgate don't need to bother with releasing them anywhere but domestic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users