Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

November Domestic Analysis: CATCHING FIRE, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, & FROZEN Anchor 2nd Best Nov. Ever

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

The holiday box office is in full swing thanks to a trio of November blockbusters. The Hunger Games: Catching FireThor: The Dark World, and Frozen helped drive a $1.07 billion month--the second biggest November gross in history, and just 1.8 percent behind last year's penultimate month.

Those top three flicks combined for $545.4 million through November 30, or about 51 percent of the month's total gross. By comparison, November 2012's top three earners (SkyfallThe Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, and Wreck-It Ralph) accounted for a somewhat larger share at 58 percent.

Rounding out the top films of the month were The Best Man HolidayEnder's Game, and Last Vegas. October holdovers Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa and Gravity also showed excellent staying power throughout November. You can view the month's top ten grossers below this story.

November boasted some shining moments, although most of them came in the final week when Lionsgate's Catching Fire broke the November opening weekend record with $158.1 million (besting New Moon's $142.8 in 2009) and proceeded to break the 3- and 5-day Thanksgiving records with $74.2 million and $109.9 million, respectively. Those figures shattered the long-standing records of $57.5 million and $82.4 million held by 2001's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. (For those curious, the first Potter's 3-day Thanksgiving weekend gross would be approximately $82 million with today's ticket prices.)... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...market-analysis

Edited by ShawnMR, 03 December 2013 - 12:49 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 140 topics

The holiday box office is in full swing thanks to a trio of November blockbusters. The Hunger Games: Catching FireThor: The Dark World, and Frozen helped drive a $1.07 billion month--the second biggest November gross in history, and just 1.8 percent behind last year's penultimate month.

Those top three flicks combined for $545.4 million through November 30, or about 51 percent of the month's total gross. By comparison, November 2012's top three earners (SkyfallThe Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, and Wreck-It Ralph) accounted for a somewhat larger share at 58 percent.

Rounding out the top films of the month were The Best Man HolidayEnder's Game, and Last Vegas. October holdovers Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa and Gravity also showed excellent staying power throughout November. You can view the month's top ten grossers below this story.

November boasted some shining moments, although most of them came in the final week when Lionsgate's Catching Fire broke the November opening weekend record with $158.1 million (besting New Moon's $142.8 in 2009) and proceeded to break the 3- and 5-day Thanksgiving records with $74.2 million and $109.9 million, respectively. Those figures shattered the long-standing records of $57.5 million and $82.4 million held by 2001's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. (For those curious, the first Potter's 3-day Thanksgiving weekend gross would be approximately $82 million with today's ticket prices.)... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...market-analysis

Excellent article, as always!

Year-to-date, 2013 has accumulated $9.87 billion in domestic revenue. That gives 2013 a slim 0.16 percent margin ahead of 2012's pace, and 2.3 percent behind in terms of tickets sold.[/size]

I don't know any way around this as I'm not an economist but I'm pretty sure the adjuster doesn't realistically reflect fluctuations in movie ticket prices.  Inflation happens but how the price of a movie ticket drags behind or ahead of national inflation is a mystery to me.  

Consider: http://www.boxoffice...?yr=2013&p=.htm

Then: http://www.boxoffice..._yr=2013&p=.htm

Are you telling me actual ticket price averages changed that fast?

Edited by lilmac, 03 December 2013 - 01:50 PM.

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

Blankments

Blankments

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,113 posts
  • Joined June 27, 2012
  • 52 topics
  • LocationIndiana

Good article Shawn, but you should've saved the "anchor" part of the title for the December analysis ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users