Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Paramount's Christmas 2015 Strategy For MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5: Wise Or Ill-Advised?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,450 posts

Paramount announced last week that Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt will return in Mission: Impossible 5 on Christmas Day in 2015. At first glance, the date makes perfect sense: Ghost Protocol revitalized the franchise with its successful 2011 holiday run, serving out the first non-summer launch for the series. But Ghost Protocol didn't have to compete with a little movie called Star Wars: Episode VII.

What's Paramount's play here?

They seem to be aiming for a repeat of December 2009's record market performance driven by a co-existence of marquee blockbuster titles. James Cameron's Avatar (having opened December 18) was beginning its long and fruitful run while, simultaneously, Warner Bros. and Guy Ritchie successfully reimagined Sherlock Holmes over Christmas weekend (to say nothing of Fox's success with Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel). Holmes may not have won first place, but it was a big hit under Avatar's shadow nonetheless.

Unfortunately, Mission: Impossible 5 faces a tougher uphill battle than the famous detective. Regardless of your opinion on Tom Cruise, his public image has taken another hit recently. His box office stature sharply contrasts that of Robert Downey, Jr., who was fresh off the breakout success of Iron Man and hitting the stride of his career resurgence when Sherlock Holmes opened. Contrary to any 1990s status quo, Cruise's drawing power just isn't what Downey's is anymore (as evidenced by the lackluster domestic box office performances of Jack Reacher and Oblivion)... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...-or-ill-advised

Edited by ShawnMR, 20 November 2013 - 09:15 AM.

• Empire, RichWS and Jay Hollywood like this

TASM2 (97/238) | Neighbors (35/139) | Godzilla (73/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/277)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,642 posts
  • LocationChina

Good article.

SW7 is not of end of the world. It is just another random blockbuster that comes all along. MI5 will do fine.

End of my opinion.

• ShawnMR, SantA Architect!™, RichWS and 1 other like this

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I think Memorial Day 2015 is a better date
  • ShawnMR and Lordmandeep like this

lilmac

lilmac

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Great analysis Shawn.  I think Episode VII's 2nd weekend is going to be HUGE.  I would be surprised if it is less than $60m.  There's but so much $$ to go around and MI5's is going after some of the same audiences.  It makes sense, as John Marston recommended, to move it to May (2015 or 2016).  2016 is probably better as it won't have to deal with Tomorrow-land and Age of Ultron.

• ShawnMR likes this

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 35,126 posts

Great analysis Shawn.  I think Episode VII's 2nd weekend is going to be HUGE.  I would be surprised if it is less than $60m.  There's but so much $$ to go around and MI5's is going after some of the same audiences.  It makes sense, as John Marston recommended, to move it to May (2015 or 2016).  2016 is probably better as it won't have to deal with Tomorrow-land and Age of Ultron.

Look at SH/Avatar, Avatar was at 70M on its 2nd wknd and SH still was 2nd, but was on its way to 200M+

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office.. You are stoned dude and need to step back and re-evaluate what your saying... :sherlock: 

it ll be striving make half of what first one did

AVATAR 2  At best will do around 475-500M Domestic

VII Predictions

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,141 posts
  • LocationLV4266
It will be fine, even if it turns out not that good.
From Mango:
Everyone has something to be confident about. Even if it's stupid and pointless and entirely irrelevant, there is probably something you do better than everyone you know.

narniadis

narniadis

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City
I think it's a smart move in all actuality - SW isn't the be all end all franchise that some would like to think and as pointed out 2009 is a great example of expanded market place. As it is I think there is a risk of the dec 2015 market being slow due to studios avoiding Star Wars so it's nice to see one studio saying we don't care.
  • ShawnMR likes this
Not everyone can come up with something cool to put here so quit looking!!

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 35,126 posts

I think it's a smart move in all actuality - SW isn't the be all end all franchise that some would like to think and as pointed out 2009 is a great example of expanded market place. As it is I think there is a risk of the dec 2015 market being slow due to studios avoiding Star Wars so it's nice to see one studio saying we don't care.

So what would be the end all franchise?

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office.. You are stoned dude and need to step back and re-evaluate what your saying... :sherlock: 

VII Predictions

lilmac

lilmac

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Look at SH/Avatar, Avatar was at 70M on its 2nd wknd and SH still was 2nd, but was on its way to 200M+

Why not have Episode VII and Avengers release around the same time then?  There is a reason you distance yourself from big competitors going after the same audience.  Both Titanic and Avatar did well but didn't cannibalize the 2nd place guys (Tomorrow Never Dies and Sherlock).  Sometimes that can backfire..

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

lilmac

lilmac

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

Good question.  Star Wars is as four quandrant as it gets.  Old ladies and young men will be sitting side by side in packed theaters across the world.  

• ShawnMR and Jay Hollywood like this

narniadis

narniadis

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

There isn't one.
  • firedeep likes this
Not everyone can come up with something cool to put here so quit looking!!

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 35,126 posts

Why not have Episode VII and Avengers release around the same time then?  There is a reason you distance yourself from big competitors going after the same audience.  Both Titanic and Avatar did well but didn't cannibalize the 2nd place guys (Tomorrow Never Dies and Sherlock).  Sometimes that can backfire..

The market place isn't big enough for them to get their maximum return. Mi5/VII, Avatar/SH makes sense especially during the holiday when legs are king. Like those examples it didn't backfire for reasons that can be attributed to the season of the releases.

VII Predictions

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts
  • LocationMichigan

in my opinion, the holiday season is too crowded now. The summer feels relatively empty. MI5 should aim for summer 2015 instead

Empire

Empire

Box Office Gold

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I think MI5 will be fine. I think it can still get over 200m against SW7 with winter/holiday legs. They don't need to move. Like Neo already stated SH still did 200m against Avatar. MI5 can surely do the same.

• Neo and Blankments like this

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts
  • LocationMichigan

no way is MI5 going to make as much as Ghost Protocol domestically. 

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 35,126 posts

no way is MI5 going to make as much as Ghost Protocol domestically. 

Why not? Can be the Holmes to VII. With a 62M OW its all but guaranteed.

• Empire and Captain Jack Sparrow like this

VII Predictions

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,233 posts
  • LocationMichigan
May 2016 would be the 20 th anniversary of the film series
  • ShawnMR likes this

lilmac

lilmac

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

There isn't one.

The Narnia franchise maybe?

lilmac

lilmac

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts

May 2016 would be the 20 th anniversary of the film series

Ok, that makes me feel old.

• ShawnMR and acetabulum7 like this

acetabulum7

acetabulum7

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationWalnut, CA

The only real competition is themselves.  If they're both good movies (or at least, "attractive" movies), they'll both succeed.

As we all know, Winter is the best time for multiple franchises to come out, since people have more free time and are willing to go to the theaters more often.

As far as Cruise's star power goes for MI:5, I don't think it really makes a big difference.  If it's a good movie and Cruise can entertain, then people will watch, regardless of the tabloids.

Edited by acetabulum7, 20 November 2013 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users