Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BoxOffice.com Forecast: CATCHING FIRE Sets Sights on $160+ Million Bow

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

We're just over three weeks away from one of 2013's most highly anticipated blockbusters, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and signs are pointing to an opening weekend north of $160 million. The first sequel in Suzanne Collins' adapted book franchise may even become the highest non-3D opener in history--a title currently held by The Dark Knight Rises$160.9 million. The existing November record is $142.8 million (The Twilight Saga: New Moon).

Audience interest levels are comparable to those of Rises and Iron Man 3 three weeks out from release, with anticipation highest among women under the age of 25. Women over 25 also indicate a higher interest than men in either age group. Nevertheless, male enthusiasm for Catching Fire is nothing to sneeze at either, trending almost three times stronger than the Twilight finale, Breaking Dawn Part 2, which opened over the same frame last year.

Online Buzz

2012's The Hunger Games broke new ground for a franchise-starter with its massive $152.5 million debut--the highest figure any movie has ever tallied outside of the summer season. Social media was in a frenzy over the first installment months in advance as distributing studio Lionsgate capitalized on the exploding popularity of Collins' book trilogy. The result was an extraordinary level of synergy for a brand growing by the day. The film went on to bank $408 million in North America, plus an additional $278.5 million overseas.

With Catching Fire, the studio is again mounting a highly effective marketing campaign that has the Hungerfan base counting down the minutes until November 22. Twitter discussion is a remarkable 63 percent higher in comparison to the level of chatter the first film was generating at the same point before its release, and just 12.5 percent behind Breaking Dawn Part 2... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...s-catching-fire

Edited by ShawnMR, 31 October 2013 - 11:21 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,071 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location

Yeah, this one should do pretty well.

kaijukurt

kaijukurt

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Joined October 27, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationPhilippines
170-190 million. Definitely.

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 9,271 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 107 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

I'm thinking 180M. Will be second highest OW. This is going to be one of the biggest 2D monster movies EVER.

tumblr_mqis0s4iGY1r8c6hfo5_250.gif

jj99!!! You have been challenged to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! You have 24 hours to take this challenge on!!! (see thread in Real World) Good luck!!!

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 9,271 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 107 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

Just makes you wonder, if CF had 3D......sorry, but I think Avengers OW would be f******.

jj99!!! You have been challenged to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! You have 24 hours to take this challenge on!!! (see thread in Real World) Good luck!!!

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined October 14, 2013
  • 0 topics

I think you all slightly overestimating 3D, there is a huge bunch of ppl that really hates 3D, while nobody hates 2D...

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 9,271 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 107 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

I think you all slightly overestimating 3D, there is a huge bunch of ppl that really hates 3D, while nobody hates 2D...

Not really. A large percentage of what TA and IM3 made came off from 3D tickets. I don't have the percentages, but I read about it last night somewhere. I think they were like, 40% or somewhere around there.

MazeRunner23

MazeRunner23

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • Joined January 01, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationBrazil

The repeat views in the movie theater will replace the 3D. I already bought tickets for 2 days.

3V9cDE.gif

Wormy

Wormy

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationPanem, Australia

The repeat views in the movie theater will replace the 3D. I already bought tickets for 2 days.

The Avengers would have had repeat viewings too. 

Have this at a conservative 170M.

tumblr_mzrh55xwGl1rp0vjjo2_250.gif

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 140 topics

Biggest OW ever (attendance)?

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

MazeRunner23

MazeRunner23

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationBrazil

Biggest OW ever (attendance)?

Yes

3V9cDE.gif

MazeRunner23

MazeRunner23

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationBrazil

The Avengers would have had repeat viewings too. 

Have this at a conservative 170M.

But the Hunger Games fans will se in the same OW reapeat times :P  and will have much lower legs than Avengers

3V9cDE.gif

CloneWars

CloneWars

Box Office Gold

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts
  • 33 topics
  • LocationDeath Star

I saw Avengers twice on OW. The second time I was going to see it in 2D, but all those showings sold out so I had to see it in 3D. Those sold out 2D showings helped boost the gross of Avengers by making people see it in 3D. CF doesn't have that advantage.

Visit my website, blog, and YouTube channel at www.empowerautismnow.com

MazeRunner23

MazeRunner23

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationBrazil

I saw Avengers twice on OW. The second time I was going to see it in 2D, but all those showings sold out so I had to see it in 3D. Those sold out 2D showings helped boost the gross of Avengers by making people see it in 3D. CF doesn't have that advantage.

Interesting. day 22th... come baby or better, 24th!! 

Edited by alisson23, 01 November 2013 - 09:33 AM.

3V9cDE.gif

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts
  • 15 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

It's breaking the attendance record. Lack of 3D and November release will keep it off Avengers, but I see 175+ (personally, I predict 182). Just massive hype

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,582 posts
  • Joined March 24, 2012
  • 35 topics
  • LocationToronto
I don't see the hype to demolish the attendance record.

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon
If it has IM3 levels of hype surely it's debut will be below 175 mil as it does not have 3d?

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,582 posts
  • Joined March 24, 2012
  • 35 topics
  • LocationToronto

The thing is I think the hype is there for a massive opening day but it will not hold well over the weekend like THG or IM3 did. 

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

Ent

Ent

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2012
  • 4 topics
  • LocationBelgium

The thing is I think the hype is there for a massive opening day but it will not hold well over the weekend like THG or IM3 did. 

I think The Hunger Games already acted like a sequel with a very massive OW (extreme anticipation factor) and a big 2nd weekend drop at 61.6%  facing few competion that week.

That's why i say it was already acting like sequels do cause if you look closely at all the movies that had an OW over $150M (all sequels bar HG), they all had drops > 61,5+ % bar 3 all Under 60% (TA, TDK and IM3) suggesting that for those three the rush or/and the audience number was bigger and couldn't absorb all of it in a single weekend or that the repeat viewings sustained by a stellar WOM made people flock en masse immediately.  That's whjat happened with TA(50%drop) and TDK (52% drop).

Considering that HG had the second biggest drop on the second weekend in that group (after HP), it suggests that the first installment was already very frontloaded and that we could expect an even bigger drop second weekend this time around with a massive OW.

After that, it will all depend about how CF manage to fare facing bigger competition than its predecessor had to on its third weekend with TH2.

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,351 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney
Sure it dropped big in its 2nd weekend, but after that drops were pretty soft, mostly in the 30s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users