Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

October 2013 Analysis: GRAVITY Triumphs, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS Endures Otherwise Ghastly Month

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

2013's fourth quarter is approaching full swing with the holiday box office season on our doorstep. Unfortunately, however, the beginning of the year's end didn't fare well: October is projected to finish with around $627 million from the domestic market--down nearly 7 percent from October 2012.

The big winner of the month was Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity. After the Warner Bros. flick's stellar $55.8 million debut became the best-ever October opening, the word-of-mouth phenom showed excellent staying power as the first movie to claim the top spot over three straight weekends since WB's own The Hobbit: An Unexpected JourneyGravity also held first place for 21 consecutive days, the longest streak since the studio's The Dark Knight Rises accomplished the same feat in Summer 2012.

Overall, Gravity has earned $201.2 million through October 28--making it the first October release to ever cross the $200 million benchmark. Based on its current trajectory, the film has a great shot at eclipsing $250 million before the end of its run.

Captain Phillips was the other big story of the month... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...market-analysis

Edited by ShawnMR, 29 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 153 topics

Here I thought we were in an exceptional October with Gravity, Phillips, and Bad Grandpa doing well.  Thanks Shawn for bringing me back to Earth.  :)

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Here I thought we were in an exceptional October with Gravity, Phillips, and Bad Grandpa doing well.  Thanks Shawn for bringing me back to Earth.   :)

It really is crazy. The month started out incredibly well and then fell completely on its face. I'm sure Gravity/Phillips have a hand in killing buzz on other films, but I'm not sure they would have done much better without the big two around given that they all went over poorly with critics (and, seemingly, audiences).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney
It was a rubbish month. You could see it coming though, so at least it wasn't a surprise.

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics
I think had there been better films aside from Gravity and Captain Phillips, it would have been a great October, the lack of a decent horror hurt October as well. Next year will be interesting with Dracula Untold, The Judge, Book of Life etc I think if WB releases The Man from UNCLE or Jersey Boys in October, that would greatly benefit the month.

Edited by Jonwo, 29 October 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Sp00ky C00k13

Sp00ky C00k13

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • 8 topics
  • LocationLa Suede

Tbf even without Gravity, Philips and/or Bad Grandpa would any of those other films succeed? The selection besides the big three turned out to be pretty crap.

November could be the same where only Thor, Catching Fire and Frozen excels while everything else goes under.

2ekk5u9.jpg

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney
What made it a weak month was that there were only 10 wide releases, the lowest it's been for decades. Had PA5 opened, that would've (probably) singlehandedly saved the month.

mahnamahna

mahnamahna

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2013
  • 22 topics

What made it a weak month was that there were only 10 wide releases, the lowest it's been for decades. Had PA5 opened, that would've (probably) singlehandedly saved the month.

But then Bad Grandpa would not have come out

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

The Mockingjay

• Junior Moderator
  • 11,012 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 229 topics
  • LocationSunnydale

Gravity :worthy:

output_NtMzp9_zps5ffzc7wm.gif

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

Alpha

Alpha

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,243 posts
  • Joined October 09, 2012
  • 101 topics
  • LocationI am Groot.

But then Bad Grandpa would not have come out

Based on PA4's performace...Bad Grandpa would still have taken first place.

9e7.gif

OM-NUM-NUM-NUM-NUM

Jandrew

Jandrew

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,162 posts
  • Joined December 15, 2011
  • 13 topics
  • LocationThe Palmetto State

My October article from 9/24. Good calls. Though I gave too much credit too Counselor and not enough to Grandpa. http://jaysonb593.bl...s-very-own.html

Edited by Twerkdrew, 30 October 2013 - 02:30 PM.

IS INTERSTELLAR THE NEXT BIG SPACE DISCOVERY? PLEASE READ HERE! THANKS!

http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2014/10/is-interstellar-next-big-discovery.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users