Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ANALYSIS: Universal Dates 'Ted 2'; Does Summer 2015 Really Need Another Blockbuster?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Pop culture comedy fans, rejoice! Universal Pictures announced this morning that Seth MacFarlane's Ted 2 will bow on Friday, June 26, 2015. The original film grossed a stellar $218.7 million domestically and $330.6 million overseas. A sequel was a foregone conclusion after last year's stunning $54.4 million opening weekend.

How will Ted 2 affect the evolving Summer 2015 schedule?

Make no mistake: this is a smart play on Universal's end. For all the blockbusters currently positioned between May and September 2015, this is the first R-rated comedy on the calendar. Given how well films such as The HeatWe're the MillersTed itself, Bridesmaids, and Horrible Bosses have done over the last few summers, moviegoers are clearly demanding more adult-oriented laughers during the lucrative season. Remember how well The Hangover Part II opened in 2011 off the heels of the original's phenomenal reception? Ted 2 is poised to accomplish something very similar.

Ted 2's placement may have an adverse effect on previously established July releases, though... (more)

Full analysis: http://www.boxoffice...her-blockbuster

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

yes May and August are empty. It is ridiculous how scared studios are of Avenges. I understand not putting things on the second weekend or third weekend, but nothing on Memorial Day weekend? Ridiculous 

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,203 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 92 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

I think Ted 2 would do great in the 2nd week of May. It's the perfect counter to Avengers. Makes no sense to give it a possible shit June date.

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 38,382 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 635 topics

Its 6 weeks from May 1 to June 12. June has one more, 2 if you count Pixar and July has one lock and a few unknowns. Will Minions be a PiB, Ant-Man under CAP?, ID4-2 could move and Terminator is in a tough position.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 38,382 posts
  • 635 topics

I think Ted 2 would do great in the 2nd week of May. It's the perfect counter to Avengers. Makes no sense to give it a possible shit June date.

Thats a good date.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon

yeh should open near to avengers a  comic relief from the juggernaut that is avengers 2! Ted 2 will be huge  similar numbers to hangover 2 i feel.

Moviefanatic

Moviefanatic

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • Joined December 22, 2011
  • 4 topics
  • LocationBay Area California

Well damn...rival studios really are afraid of putting anything in May. Dat Avengers effect!Posted Image

MOST ANTICIPATED 2014 Movie: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,947 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

Yes, it does. There are only, like, four of them. And that's being generous wrt Jurassic World

iNmEH.gif

tupek

tupek

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 0 topics
  • LocationGuaymas, Mexico

Anyhow, Ted is going to decrease in total compared to its predecessor...

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics

June 2015 isn't a surprise considering thats the month the first film debuted and did very well. May might have been too much crossover with The Avengers 2 to released it the second week of May. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a comedy or a romcom in that second weekend of May slot.

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,170 posts
  • 572 topics
  • LocationPortugal

So... where is my Star Wars date?

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

The Maze Runner - 29/92 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 17/55 | This is Where I Leave You - 12/35

- The Equalizer - 34/103 | The Boxtrolls - 9/27

- Annabelle - 46/90 | Gone Girl - 25/92

- Disney's Alexander - 16/53 | The Judge - 11/35 | Dracula Untold - 20/50

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Summer 2015 isn't crowded at all. The only mega blockbusters are Avengers and B/S. Inside Ou and Ted solid level hits. JP4 could go between solid level hit and mega hit. Terminator and Asassins Creed are total wildcards

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,300 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas
Sure could use a big movie to open on Memorial Day weekend. Nothing against Monster Trucks though :)
tumblr_n8rv83M1M21s535xbo2_250.gif

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 38,382 posts
  • 635 topics

Sure could use a big movie to open on Memorial Day weekend. Nothing against Monster Trucks though :)

VII. :ph34r:

VII Predictions

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,300 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas

VII. :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol:Sure, that too. Not against the idea, just thought it's not doable.
tumblr_n8rv83M1M21s535xbo2_250.gif

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,203 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 92 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

So there's no big movies for Memorial Day weekend 2015?

Well, till Fast 8 is announced... :lol:

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 38,382 posts
  • 635 topics

So there's no big movies for Memorial Day weekend 2015?

Well, till Fast 8 is announced... :lol:

I think they are going to wait til 2016 for this one.

VII Predictions

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

I don't think Terminator or ID2 will be as big of hits as their studios probably are hoping for, but they definitely are crowding up the schedule right now. All it's going take are one or two more big announcements for that summer, and some of these other movies will start flinching.

And those "big announcements" don't necessarily have to have anything to do with Star Wars.

Edited by ShawnMR, 02 October 2013 - 05:08 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics

I think they are going to wait til 2016 for this one.

I imagine Vin and co will want a break after doing back to back films, I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until 2017 in order to recharge their batteries fully and perhaps have Fast 8 and Fast 9 back to back in 2017 and 2018.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

The more the merrier!

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users