Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

September 2013 Domestic Market Analysis: 'Insidious Chapter 2', 'Prisoners', & August Holdovers Lead

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

2013's third quarter came to a close on Monday, and for the fifth straight month the year improved upon 2012's performance. September rang up $572.8 million at the box office, up a hairline 0.2 percent from the same month last year. It marked the second best ever September gross behind 2011's $604.16 million.

FilmDistrict's Insidious Chapter 2 won the month with $69.7 million in its first 18 days of release. Among September's releases, Riddick and Prisoners were in tow with $40.2 million and $39.4 million, respectively. However, August holdovers Lee Daniels' The Butler ($42.0 million) and We're the Millers ($37.9 million) were equally as strong with fantastic word of mouth propelling each flick beyond summer's end. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 also contributed with its $34 million opening weekend. Not to be forgotten is Lionsgate's Spanish comedy sleeper, Instructions Not Included, which tallied an impressive $34.1 million throughout its September expansion.

Attendance-wise, September saw slightly fewer moviegoers visit their local cinema for a second straight year as estimated ticket sales dipped 2.2 percent from 2012's comparable month... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...market-analysis

Edited by ShawnMR, 02 October 2013 - 08:51 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney
Yeah, I just realised that this would be five months in a row that increased, something that last happened in 2009, from August to December.

Are you certain about admissions? The quarterly average isn't usually revealed until midway through the first month of the next quarter.

Unless everything in October performs well above expectations, it'll be a dire month. It could "beat" 2007 for the worst October since 1996.

lilmac

lilmac

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 142 topics

We made it out of the worst month of the calendar year and I thought it was a good month.  IMO there was enough to keep us occupied.  

Whew!  We made it.  September is past us.  That wasn't so bad.  

Now, it only gets better from now until late December, starting with Gravity.

I believe in God as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

I was blind, but now I see.

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney

Unless everything in October performs well above expectations, it'll be a dire month. It could "beat" 2007 for the worst October since 1996.

Sadly, it looks like I'm right. There needs to be at least 193m made for the rest of the month to beat 2007 in admissions and I just can't see that happening. Bad Grandpa and The Counselor would need to go for a combined gross > 60m.

This is of curse assuming that the quarterly average is very high. I'm going with 8.38 (Q2 price).

Edited by lab276, 20 October 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 251 topics
  • LocationLV426

Sadly, it looks like I'm right. There needs to be at least 193m made for the rest of the month to beat 2007 in admissions and I just can't see that happening. Bad Grandpa and The Counselor would need to go for a combined gross > 60m.

This is of curse assuming that the quarterly average is very high. I'm going with 8.38 (Q2 price).

Bad Grandpa and Counselor can totally do that. :)

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney

Bad Grandpa and Counselor can totally do that. :)

Not on OW.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 251 topics
  • LocationLV426

Not on OW.

Oh, right. Drat. :(

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m