Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thor: TDW under X-Men Last Stand (234M)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Squaremaster316

Squaremaster316

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Joined February 27, 2012
  • 25 topics
  • LocationGotham

MOD EDIT:

IM3 increased approx 25% in ticket sales from IM2.  The rest was 3D.  If you take a 25% bump for Thor, you have about 235 mill.  So imo (Squaremaster now), it will finish with less than 234 mill.  It'll increase for sure, but not as much as some might think.

Reasons:

While Hemsworth is becoming a bigger name in the industry, he hasn't quite reached "box office draw" yet as some of his films have had lackluster returns, Unlike RDJ, who's only flop since his career resurrection has been the Soloist with everything else clearing 100M.

The Thor brand does not have a great deal or recognizable characters, rogue or otherwise, outside of Loki.  The villains in this film won't be known by many outside of the hardcore fanbase

Hunger Games: Catching fire comes out 2 weeks later, pretty much guaranteeing to gut out Thor's legs.

IN

Squaremaster316

Manny the Mammoth

boomboom234

OUT

bkb

k1stpierre

Edited by Squaremaster316, 24 September 2013 - 03:56 AM.

"We'll never see Day-Lewis and Kubrick, we'll never see Kurosawa and Eastwood, but we have officially seen Bale and Nolan, a cinematic dream pairing come to life!"

31CDE416E14119D1E188D8AF98A964_h100_w400

"Out greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, cause our destiny... lies above us!"

- Interstellar (2014)

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away

Since Thor is a few months away and has had several trailers, this seems like a good time to post this.

Thor's final DOM gross will be under The Hobbit's $303,003,568

Reasons:

The first Thor movie made 181M.  While the Avenger's effect is a significant factor, it will not push the film that far beyond the first.

Chris Hemsworth is not a proven box office draw outside of the company like RDJ, so his appeal to other fanbases will be limited.

No 3D boost.  Since the first film was in 3D, this will not receive the 3D surcharge bonus from the previous film as Iron Man 3 did from the first film.

IN

Squaremaster316

OUT

funny-avengers-gif-GTFO.gif

http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

King Kong

King Kong

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,613 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 236 topics
  • LocationLV426
This is not what we meant as an "risky" club.
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,735 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas
LOL.

BkzczaB.gif

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,255 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 111 topics
  • LocationThe North Star State.

Out

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away

http://vine.rottento...d.php?t=2290412

Squaremaster, you need to take a break.. I mean, even the folks at RT mock you in that thread you created above and don't say it isn't you cause you damn well know it is.. You FAIL and so does this thread.. It's downright laughable and should be locked out of sheer stupidity..

tumblr_mam5qgE8hB1rdns3wo1_400.gif

Edited by BREAKING BKB, 23 September 2013 - 05:06 PM.

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 8,752 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 84 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

funny-avengers-gif-GTFO.gif

Random thought: I never understood this fight scene. I'm nowhere near an expert on Marvel and the characters themselves. But, Thor is supposed to be a demi-god right? Whereas Iron Man is really just a guy in a metal suit. Shouldn't Thor just grab his foot with ease and pretty much rip his suit apart? I feel like in TA Iron Man was way overpowered.

tumblr_mqis0s4iGY1r8c6hfo5_250.gif

"Exactly how am I supposed to work in a thank-you in there? Somehow it just won't seem sincere if I'm trying to slit his throat.”

I solemnly swear I will NEVER watch another Paramount movie ever again.

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics

Random thought: I never understood this fight scene. I'm nowhere near an expert on Marvel and the characters themselves. But, Thor is supposed to be a demi-god right? Whereas Iron Man is really just a guy in a metal suit. Shouldn't Thor just grab his foot with ease and pretty much rip his suit apart? I feel like in TA Iron Man was way overpowered.

At 1 point during that scuffle, THOR shoots lightening into Tony's armor, thus, giving him Full Power X 10 and was able to do that.. That's not to say that I'm sure they tried to even the playing field with the character somewhat, but still..

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 8,752 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 84 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

At 1 point during that scuffle, THOR shoots lightening into Tony's armor, thus, giving him Full Power X 10 and was able to do that.. That's not to say that I'm sure they tried to even the playing field with the character somewhat, but still..

I remember that, which again made me laugh. I just can't see a man-made suit being able to not only withstand the forces of a god-like lightning attack, but then to take it, absorb it, and throw it right back. Hell, I don't think even the Metriod suit could do that. :lol:

"Exactly how am I supposed to work in a thank-you in there? Somehow it just won't seem sincere if I'm trying to slit his throat.”

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics

I remember that, which again made me laugh. I just can't see a man-made suit being able to not only withstand the forces of a god-like lightning attack, but then to take it, absorb it, and throw it right back. Hell, I don't think even the Metriod suit could do that. :lol:

This isn't TDK Trilogy.. You're not supposed to take it overly serious.. :P 

King Kong

King Kong

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,613 posts
  • 236 topics
  • LocationLV426
Well, Thor made Iron Man really strong with lightning, which I thought was really cool.
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

Summer Tentpole

• Junior Moderator
  • 8,752 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 84 topics
  • LocationMassachusetts

This isn't TDK Trilogy.. You're not supposed to take it overly serious.. :P 

I didn't overall, TA was still a fun ride for me B) I just couldn't help that Thor felt really underpowered. He's a demi-god!

Edited by k1stpierre, 23 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Squaremaster316

Squaremaster316

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • 25 topics
  • LocationGotham

A nonsensical fight scene with a ton of flaws, but if Thor just curb stomped IM with ease it would be considered a "disappointment" for fanboys, even though it would make sense.

Edited by Squaremaster316, 23 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

"We'll never see Day-Lewis and Kubrick, we'll never see Kurosawa and Eastwood, but we have officially seen Bale and Nolan, a cinematic dream pairing come to life!"

"Out greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, cause our destiny... lies above us!"

- Interstellar (2014)

Squaremaster316

Squaremaster316

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • 25 topics
  • LocationGotham

http://vine.rottento...d.php?t=2290412

Squaremaster, you need to take a break.. I mean, even the folks at RT mock you in that thread you created above and don't say it isn't you cause you damn well know it is.. You FAIL and so does this thread.. It's downright laughable and should be locked out of sheer stupidity..

tumblr_mam5qgE8hB1rdns3wo1_400.gif

Nowhere near as laughable as your pathetic 400M for Thor2/Cap2, which you DAMN well know is not going to happen.

[mod edit]

Edited by Neo, 23 September 2013 - 06:49 PM.

- Interstellar (2014)

Gopher

Gopher

Hail Hydra

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 78 topics
Is this club too redundant? We have a Thor over Hobbit club somewhere...
1. THE LEGO MOVIE 2. SNOWPIERCER 3. UNDER THE SKIN 4. THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL 5. ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE 2 6. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 7. EDGE OF TOMORROW 8. LOCKE 9. NOAH 10. PALO ALTO

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • 88 topics

Nowhere near as laughable as your pathetic 400M for Thor2/Cap2, which you DAMN well know is not going to happen.

fuck_you__by_jose18290-d4wvukm.jpg

tumblr_m3kdm1yqM31qdieh2.jpg

King Kong

King Kong

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,613 posts
  • 236 topics
  • LocationLV426
I'm in, but changing it to under X Men the Last Stand would be a great club which I would join.

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,735 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas

Is this club too redundant? We have a Thor over Hobbit club somewhere...

You should bump it :)

BkzczaB.gif

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,881 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

Seriously why do you keep making these threads?

iNmEH.gif

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,881 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

He didn't want to rip him apart, he just wanted him to back off. If you remember he crushed his armor with his bare hands at one point in the fight

iNmEH.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users