Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com Analysis: PIRATES 5 Delayed, ANT-MAN Moved Up... How Does STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Fit In?

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Just one day following news that Disney and Marvel bumped Ant-Man three months up from early November to July 31, 2015 (presumably to get away from the 24th James Bond movie and final Hunger Games entry), today comes word that the Mouse House is shuffling up plans for the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean. Originally eyeing a July 10, 2015 opening, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been delayed "beyond Summer 2015"--whatever that means. Some reports cite Summer 2016 as now being the sequel's targeted window, but that remains unconfirmed.

All eyes have been on Disney lately thanks to its large cache of potentially lucrative blockbusters lined up over the next half-decade. Marvel's Ant-Man date switch is still being debated by fans, and we've previously considered July's (now former) slotting of Pirates to be suspect. Today's news confirms that suspicion, although it still doesn't answer all of the calendar's questions--the big one being "how does Star Wars: Episode VII fit into their plans?"

Despite two convention confirmations from Disney CEO Bob Iger this year, emphasizing J.J. Abrams' new Star Wars flick would open in Summer 2015, many have remained skeptical about that goal. The main reason has been a lack of news flow around the highly anticipated sequel. From casting, to a release date announcement, to a title announcement, and the apparent fact that production won't be fully ramped up until late this year or early 2014, the Disney, Lucasfilm, and Abrams camps have been mum... (more)

Full story: http://www.boxoffice...-evolving-slate

Edited by ShawnMR, 10 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,918 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 58 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Disney also has three movies for 2016 already as well. Two Marvel films and A Pixar film and potentially Pirates 5

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics

I'm still thinking Memorial Day 2015 but December would not surprise me considering the only thing scheduled for the plum December 18th slot is Inferno but with Avatar taking up December 2016-2018, its a slim possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission Impossible 5 is scheduled in the now vacant July 10th slot or perhaps Illumination will push back their animated film which was against ID2.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,728 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 260 topics
  • LocationLV426
I hope ID4 moves to 2016 in time for twentieth anniversary.BTW Shawn, check out my Walking With Dinosaurs club! :)

Edited by KingKong, 10 September 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,178 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 149 topics

I'm still thinking Memorial Day 2015 but December would not surprise me considering the only thing scheduled for the plum December 18th slot is Inferno but with Avatar taking up December 2016-2018, its a slim possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission Impossible 5 is scheduled in the now vacant July 10th slot or perhaps Illumination will push back their animated film which was against ID2.

ID2 is probably not happening till 2016 according to Emmerich's interview recently. MI5 will probably follow a very similar release schedule to MI4, I would bet it targets fall again and maybe the IMAX early release as well.

The only question is whether SW7 makes it to summer, or waits until Christmas.

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • 9 topics

I'm surprised like ID2, Mission Impossible 5 isn't aiming for 2016 since that will be 20 years since the first film. 2016 is a big anniversary years for quite a few franchises like Star Trek which is 50 in 2016 plus if WB is planning a Wonder Woman film then 2016 would be the perfect year since its the character's 75th anniversary that year.

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,844 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

I'm surprised like ID2, Mission Impossible 5 isn't aiming for 2016 since that will be 20 years since the first film. 2016 is a big anniversary years for quite a few franchises like Star Trek which is 50 in 2016 plus if WB is planning a Wonder Woman film then 2016 would be the perfect year since its the character's 75th anniversary that year.

It also makes sense since MI films come out every five years. 

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • 9 topics

Disney needs to secure the Memorial Day 2016 for Pirates before Paramount does for Star Trek 3 or Universal for Fast 8 although I could see Paramount scheduling ST3 on Independence Day although I have a feeling that Universal is eyeing that for Despicable Me 3. 

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 38,938 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 640 topics

Disney needs to secure the Memorial Day 2016 for Pirates before Paramount does for Star Trek 3 or Universal for Fast 8 although I could see Paramount scheduling ST3 on Independence Day although I have a feeling that Universal is eyeing that for Despicable Me 3. 

ST3/DM2 could survive.

Edited by Neo, 10 September 2013 - 05:08 PM.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 38,938 posts
  • 640 topics

Fitting nicely for SW. If the problem was AoU move AoU to July and SW fills in for AoU.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • 9 topics

Kept

ST3/DM2 could survive.

Dunno given how big DM2 was, I wouldn't be surprised if studios try and not schedule films against it unless its a R rated comedy. I bet Paramount will be heavily promoting Star Trek and its 50th anniversary probably as early as January 2016 to raise awareness and getting all people associated with Trek reminisce about it like what Sony did with Bond and Skyfall. Maybe even skip summer and go with a November or Thanksgiving slot, given how well Skyfall did and Thor I imagine will do very well, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by Jonwo, 10 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • 463 topics

Jurassic World's 6/12/15 announcement pretty much eliminates summer 2015 for SW7, methinks. Memorial Weekend is too sandwiched, and Disney itself would sandwich SW with A2 and Inside Out.

filmnerdjamie tweeted to me "December 18, 2015". I too think that's the date we're about to hear announced. But I'm holding out hope for May the 4th, 2016... :P

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,178 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 149 topics

Jurassic World's 6/12/15 announcement pretty much eliminates summer 2015 for SW7, methinks. Memorial Weekend is too sandwiched, and Disney itself would sandwich SW with A2 and Inside Out.

filmnerdjamie tweeted to me "December 18, 2015". I too think that's the date we're about to hear announced. But I'm holding out hope for May the 4th, 2016... :P

If May the 4th, 2016 happens. Spidey is moving to April or the 4th of July for sure.

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,865 posts
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Paramount is fucked if Star Wars goes for Summer 2016. If they are smart, they will put Star Trek 3 in the holidays.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 22/45

- Before I Go To Sleep - 4/9 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 38,938 posts
  • 640 topics

Things can move.

VII Predictions

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • 463 topics

Paramount is fucked if Star Wars goes for Summer 2016. If they are smart, they will put Star Trek 3 in the holidays.

July 2016 could be good.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • 463 topics

Things can move.

Yeah... and they just did. :P

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,728 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 260 topics
  • LocationLV426

If May the 4th, 2016 happens. Spidey is moving to April or the 4th of July for sure.

? Spidey is scheduled for June...

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,865 posts
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

July 2016 could be good.

Too close, IMO. November or December is the best for them.

Spoiler

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 22/45

- Before I Go To Sleep - 4/9 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

grim22

grim22

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,178 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 149 topics

? Spidey is scheduled for June...

Whoops, my mistake. Then the untitled Marvel project will have to move. Which may be easier since Disney owns both franchises.

ZfSxJ3Z.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users