Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com: CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 Poised to Serve as Fall's Family Buffet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

After a year filled to the brim with animated movies, it would be easy to expect demand for another one on the horizon to be soft. Thankfully for Sony, that definitely isn't the case for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.

The sequel has consistently performed well in our online tracking metrics over the last few months, and closer analysis reveals the strong potential for a run similar to last year's Hotel Transylvania. That flick--also a Sony release--controlled the family market for five weekends last fall. Signs pointed to its success in advance, and now, they're pointing even more convincingly toward a big audience for Cloudy 2.

On Twitter, the film is currently outpacing Hotel Transylvania's activity by 238 percent at the same point in the pre-release cycle. Cloudy 2's nature as a sequel is responsible for much of that advantage, however, there's no ignoring the otherwise strong presence of the film (including an effective trailer campaign thus far).

The sequel's Facebook buzz is similarly healthy... (more)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...tballs-2-for-94

Edited by ShawnMR, 05 September 2013 - 10:47 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,828 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

It is just me that feels that the trailers make it look like a smaller movie compared to the first?

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

mahnamahna

mahnamahna

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2013
  • 22 topics

It is just me that feels that the trailers make it look like a smaller movie compared to the first?

Perhaps they're trying to hide the grand scope of the film? Puns are more likely to get kids excited.

But I'd definitely say $50 to $55 million is a solid opening weekend range for Cloudy 2 

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 257 topics
  • LocationLV426
The trailers for the first film were terrible, yet the film was good. Same with Kung FU Panda.FU Panda. Hehe

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Blankments

Blankments

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts
  • Joined June 27, 2012
  • 97 topics
  • LocationIndiana

I'm excited for this, but I'm not feeling much hype among older kids. Probably will do really well with younger kids though.

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics
I imagine it'll break HTs record for the biggest opening weekend for a September release but how much remains to be seen, a $50-55m OW would make it the third highest grossing animated film after DM2 and MU.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

They haven't really done a great job marketing this outside of kids programming, (I know that's expected, but DM2 and MU had insane marketing everywhere), but 40+ seems very safe.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 257 topics
  • LocationLV426

They haven't really done a great job marketing this outside of kids programming, (I know that's expected, but DM2 and MU had insane marketing everywhere), but 40+ seems very safe.

The first had great legs after people realized the movie was much better than the trailers. I think that could happen with this film as well, even though this is a sequel.

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Ruthie

Ruthie

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Joined October 20, 2012
  • 0 topics

The trailers showed some really great gags.  Hopefully, that's not the best of them and there's more where that came from. 

Meteors don't travel in flocks. 

"...the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children..." Psalm 103:17

bcf26

bcf26

Sleeper Hit

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Joined August 15, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • Locationlonely island

I'm predicting OW: 45M, and a total of $160M 

QLCAW3S.gif

BOOYAH SUCKAS

BOOYAH SUCKAS

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 51 topics
  • LocationMurca
I was a big fan of the first one and while I don't think this one will be as great I'm still excited enough to see it
Crime is a disease. I'm the cure.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

It seems locked to be the biggest opening since Wolverine.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

mahnamahna

mahnamahna

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2013
  • 22 topics

It seems locked to be the biggest opening since Wolverine.

But don't forget Insidious Chapter 2... it could break out past 35 million OW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users