Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com: Social Network Futures: RIDDICK Shows Early Promise for Post-Summer Market

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Our regular column returns this week with a look at fall's first official release: Vin Diesel's return as Riddick.

The film will mark Diesel's third turn as the title character since 2000's Pitch Black became a sleeper hit (mostly thanks to respectable after-market business on DVD and VHS--remember it?). Banking $39.2 million at the time (3.37 times its $11.6 million opening), the film inspired 2004's follow-up (The Chronicles of Riddick). This came in the wake of Diesel's rise to fame post-The Fast and the Furious and XXX. Unfortunately, Chronicles stalled any lucrative franchise birth with its disappointing $57.8 million domestic and $115.8 million global haul (after costing nearly $150 million to produce and market).

In the decade since, Diesel's career has rebounded thanks to the massive domestic and overseas success of three Fast & Furious pics. In kind, Universal is aiming to revive Diesel's would-be solo franchise again. How are fans responding to Riddick so far?

Our Twitter number-crunching (dating to one month out from release) is very encouraging.Riddick amassed a healthy 4,240 tweets during our tracking period. That's an impressive 49.1 percent ahead of ... (more)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...t-summer-market

Edited by ShawnMR, 19 August 2013 - 08:00 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Jake Gittes

Jake Gittes

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 3 topics
  • LocationEkaterinburg, Russia

It'd be pretty funny if it ended up outgrossing Chronicles, considering that movie was a $110 million summer tentpole that didn't happen and this one, I believe, only got greenlighted because of how much less money it had promised to cost. I know Chronicles' attendance won't be beaten either way, but still.

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

FAVORITE MOVIES

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,080 posts
  • 572 topics
  • LocationPortugal

I really don't see this breaking out. I don't even understand what is the story from the trailers. I need to see Pitch Black and Chronicles.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

The Maze Runner - 29/92 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 17/55 | This is Where I Leave You - 12/35

- The Equalizer - 34/103 | The Boxtrolls - 9/27

- Annabelle - 46/90 | Gone Girl - 25/92

- Disney's Alexander - 16/53 | The Judge - 11/35 | Dracula Untold - 20/50

The Futurist

The Futurist

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,617 posts
  • Joined March 27, 2012
  • 14 topics
  • LocationFederal Reserve

Riddick is a niche hero for sci fi geeks.

IF WE BURN, YOU BURN WITH US

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

PB is a great sci fi. High rewatchability, inventive take on Aliens knock offs. CoR was just awful. It took the character and story into a completely different direction which isn't bad itself, but the execusion was disasterous, as were some performances (Davalos, Fiore, distractingly misplaced Dame Judy).  Riddick looks like PB redux but with better effects. Again, not a bad thing since PB is simply great. Just skip CoR since Riddick is obivously doing the same.

Edited by fishnets, 19 August 2013 - 09:06 AM.

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 256 topics
  • LocationLV426
Yay great article! And this time you covered a mocie I am actually excited for! :P

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

Twitter activity is meaningless. Didn’t Paranoia have more than 4000 tweets prior to its release?

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

Twitter activity is meaningless. Didn’t Paranoia have more than 4000 tweets prior to its release?

That's not entirely correct. Twitter activity without a point of reference is meaningless. Paranoia's tweet level with comparison points was indicative of a bomb.

Edited by ShawnMR, 19 August 2013 - 10:47 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

That's not entirely correct. Twitter activity without a point of reference is meaningless. Paranoia's tweet level with comparison points was indicative of a bomb.

Okay, I still think its meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic, 19 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

Okay, I still think its meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

It's pretty much proven not to be, but, okay. :)

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

It's pretty much proven not to be, but, okay. :)

That’s entirely debatable, I can probably pull up some examples of movies that had lots of twitter activity a week before their release and did poorly at the box office, but I’m not going to argue right now.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • 462 topics

That’s entirely debatable, I can probably pull up some examples of movies that had lots of twitter activity a week before their release and did poorly at the box office, but I’m not going to argue right now.

And there are plenty of examples where it has been an excellent barometer.

No one ever said it's a perfect indicator. No source of tracking ever has been. All I'm saying is that "meaningless" is kinda hyperbolic. The extent to which it's successful or misleading on certain movies and/or with certain comparisons can be debatable, but the number of examples it's worked very well with is factual--not an opinion.

Edited by ShawnMR, 19 August 2013 - 11:10 AM.

Pokearcher

Pokearcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts
  • Joined July 09, 2013
  • 38 topics
  • LocationNew Bark Town

And there are plenty of examples where it has been an excellent barometer.

No one ever said it's a perfect indicator. No source of tracking ever has been. All I'm saying is that "meaningless" is kinda hyperbolic. The extent to which it's successful or misleading on certain movies and/or with certain comparisons can be debatable, but the number of examples it's worked very well with is factual--not an opinion.

Okay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users