Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BO.com Analysis: The Global Potential Of James Cameron's Three AVATAR Sequels

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

20th Century Fox announced today that James Cameron is expanding his plans for two Avatar sequels into three. The current plan is to release Avatar 2 in December 2016 and Avatar 3 in December 2017. A specific release window for Avatar 4 has yet to be unveiled.

The announcement of an additional sequel now being in the pipeline is champagne-worthy news for Fox. The original Avatar grossed nearly $761 million domestically and an astounding $2.78 billion around the globe over three years ago. With the continued market expansion since from countries like China and Russia, among others, the overseas potential for the first sequel is massive. So long as Cameron keeps to his reputation of delivering crowd-pleasers, that story probably won't change for additional franchise installments in the years after 2016.

Originally planned for 2014/2015, the delay of Avatar 2 comes as no surprise as pre-production has slowly (but surely) ramped up. Cameron has been working on the sequel scripts for some time now, and he's certainly the kind of filmmaker who takes the "it'll release when it's ready" approach. That's one reason he's such a reliable filmmaker at the box office.

If there are any negative sides to the news, they are mere cautionary tales. (more)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...-avatar-sequels

Edited by ShawnMR, 01 August 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have the potential to be big

• ShawnMR, CJohn, Catching Robertron and 3 others like this

iNmEH.gif

Jay Hollywood

Jay Hollywood

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNo Ho

You really pump theses articles out! 

fc7d665b-06cd-4091-91d0-c45246c52fd1.jpg

stuart360

stuart360

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

I wonder if all 4 films can reach 10billion worldwise, you would think not but i can honestly see 3 billion worldwide for A2 and then 3 and 4 would 'only' need to hit about 2 billion each.

THIS TIME ITS WAR!
Posted Image

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean

LOL that was fast!

• ShawnMR and Brynden Charism Rivers like this

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I am pretty sure Avatar 2 will see massive decreases in the 60-70% range in most Europe.

• Jam90 likes this
Survivor Winner: Season 2 and Season 3!

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Please, Shawn, add that AvP/Ghost Rider hack on the list of concerns.

WINston churCHILL

WINston churCHILL

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationPresiding over London

Well Fox really needs these Avatar movies because they haven't a 200m domestic grosser since Avatar itself. Additionally as long they keep the budget below 750m a movie it looks like they have an unbeatable cash cow rivaling the Fast Series and even the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

If you're going through hell, KEEP GOING.

Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNorwich VT

Well Fox really needs these Avatar movies because they haven't a 200m domestic grosser since Avatar itself. Additionally as long they keep the budget below 750m a movie it looks like they have an unbeatable cash cow rivaling the Fast Series and even the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

Avatar 2 can easily outgross every Fast and the Furious film.

No question bout that.

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

Elessar

Elessar

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts
  • LocationGermany

I am pretty sure Avatar 2 will see massive decreases in the 60-70% range in most Europe.

Decreases for sure but not -60-70%. It's like predicting $230m for DOM. Ridiculous.

EDIT:

I guess you mean -30% to -40%. Never mind.

Edited by Elessar, 01 August 2013 - 12:23 PM.

• Jam90 likes this
"If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together!"

WINston churCHILL

WINston churCHILL

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationPresiding over London

Avatar 2 can easily outgross every Fast and the Furious film.

No question bout that.

Yes but by the time Avatar 2 comes out we probably already have seen 2 more fast movies and they'll also be a lot cheaper to produce. So overall in terms of profitability one could make the argument that the fast series is a better cash cow

If you're going through hell, KEEP GOING.

Fancyarcher

Fancyarcher

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,547 posts
  • LocationNorwich VT

Yes but by the time Avatar 2 comes out we probably already have seen 2 more fast movies and they'll also be a lot cheaper to produce. So overall in terms of profitability one could make the argument that the fast series is a better cash cow

Avatar 2 will make over a billion dollars worldwide. Regardless of its budget it’s going to be profitable.

Check out my reviews and more at,

http://blog.catamountarts.org/

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Decreases for sure but not -60-70%. It's like predicting $230m for DOM. Ridiculous.

EDIT:

I guess you mean -30% to -40%. Never mind.

I really meant 60-70% in countries like Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, etc. That would still mean a massive result in today's box office. 

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • Locationcanadian ocean

I really meant 60-70% in countries like Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, etc. That would still mean a massive result in today's box office. 

Your POTC5 is going to drop OS just wait and see. And it'll continue to drop dom. With or without those two chemistry-less hacktors.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

Avatar 2 is going to absolutely massive, but unless they deliver a damn good movie, I really think Avatar 3 and 4 just sounds unnecessary as shit to come out that fast.

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Your POTC5 is going to drop OS just wait and see. And it'll continue to drop dom. With or without those two chemistry-less hacktors.

This is a thread about Avatar. What does PotC has anything to do with that?

• Jam90 likes this

Jam90

Jam90

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLondon

30%-40% decrease in most develop markets seems about right IMO.

#ED

#ED

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts
  • LocationNew York , NY

Avatar 2 will be massive OS, but I'm sure 3 and 4 will decline.

But I fully expect all of the sequels to make 1B+ WW.

Edited by #ED, 01 August 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#Hail Nolan

druv10

druv10

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,247 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

And add in growing markets like China, Russia, India and all of LA. Sky is the limit gross wise, if JC delivers and his track record is great with sequels (A2 and T2).  I think 2B+ OS should happen again as I expect 300-400M in China alone. 

• stuart360 and Jam90 like this

Posted Image

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

If something hasn't already done it by the end of 2016, I'd imagine talk will eventually turn to "this is going to be the first movie to hit $3 billion". I would just hope that we keep things in perspective and remember that the sequel could "only" make $1.8-2 billion and it would still be very impressive.

Frankly, I can see a scenario happening where the film is widely regarded as superior to the first and it still doesn't come anywhere near its box office figures. There's just too much to live up to; this isn't like Pirates or LOTR where the first films had a lot of growing room in terms of audience size. My guess is Avatar 2 plays out, admissions-wise, similar to TDKR domestically so long as the film is good. Overseas is harder to say with exchange rates varying greatly over the next few years.

• Jam90 likes this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users