Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How to Reinvigorate the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Franchise

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

With the recent news surrounding 2015's filling slate and most of the discussion revolving around the AvengersStar Wars, and Superman vs. Batman (temporarily referred to as Man of Steel 2) flicks, there is still another major franchise that deserves some attention. After all, two of its four films grossed over $1 billion each at the global box office (with the third not far short of it).

That series is Pirates of the Caribbean. And since Johnny Depp has made it clear that he loves playing the character enough to continue ahead with sequels for the foreseeable future, it would take some serious box office disaster to prevent us from seeing at least one or two morePirates sequels in the years after 2015. Cash cows, after all, are nothing if not consistent.

Fans of the franchise have been vocal about their disappointment with the last two films (At World's End and On Stranger Tides), and they showed it at the box office. The fourth film, 2011's Tides, declined 22 percent and nearly 40 percent from the domestic gross and estimated tickets sold, respectively, of 2007's World's End. To be fair, overseas revenue jumped 22 percent with market expansion and 3D surcharges playing a significant hand in that surge. Even internationally, Tides still sold fewer tickets than 2006's Dead Man's Chest--which was only the third movie to ever reach $1 billion in total.

But, at the end of the day, $1 billion is $1 billion and it's hard to downplay that too much. Foreign audiences are clearly more along for the continuing Captain Jack ride than North American audiences are right now, but that's something Disney has an opportunity to work on. How can they do it?

They've already taken the first step in the right direction... (more)

http://www.boxoffice...bbean-franchise

Edited by ShawnMR, 24 July 2013 - 11:20 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,632 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Bring Orlando, Keira and the epicness back.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The September 4 weekend is a disgrace, kill it with fire

- Dolphin Tale 2 - 12/42 | No Good Deed - 15/35

The Maze Runner - 24/62 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 20/57 | This is Where I Leave You - 7/22 

- The Equalizer - 33/102 | The Boxtrolls - 10/37

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,761 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Bring Orlando, Keira and the epicness back.

no thanks

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • 9 topics
  • LocationNew London, CT

My list would have simply been "STOP MAKING THEM" but I'm glad you put a little more thought into it.

Edited by RichWS, 24 July 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • 15 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

It's sounds far too typical for a major blockbuster, but one thing they could do is bring in a huge star to play the villain in this one. I think the number one thing to revive the franchise is to make a great movie- I haven't liked any since the first one, but COTBP is one of the best summer blockbusters ever. 

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,761 posts
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

I think the franchise is fine right now. For every one person who disliked the last movie there is a person that thought it went the right direction (smaller scale, more simpler story, etc.) 

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,071 posts
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location

Just stick to the usual Disney business plan

1)250M budget

2)??????

3)Profit

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,855 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

Put Batman in the movie

iNmEH.gif

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,167 posts
  • 120 topics
  • LocationWisconsin

While I like this series overall more than most, the last three films were missing a sense of fun and playfulness that was in the first film.

I thought the first film managed to be both a great swashbuckler while poking fun at the genre. 

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 38,632 posts
  • 547 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Put Batman in the movie

I remember the times when instead of Batman we used to say 'Put Channing Tatum in the movie'. WHD and Comic-Con changed everything :lol:

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The September 4 weekend is a disgrace, kill it with fire

- Dolphin Tale 2 - 12/42 | No Good Deed - 15/35

The Maze Runner - 24/62 | A Walk Among the Tombstones - 20/57 | This is Where I Leave You - 7/22 

- The Equalizer - 33/102 | The Boxtrolls - 10/37

Godzilla likes Tom Cruise

Godzilla likes Tom Cruise

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2013
  • 21 topics
  • LocationTokyo
Cast Joey King

k1stpierre

k1stpierre

The Slayer

• Junior Moderator
  • 9,458 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2013
  • 110 topics
  • LocationSunnydale

I'm on the same lines of....stop making them. Period. They are getting tiring.

tumblr_n65qcdgLSd1sapfzqo2_250.gif

“In every generation there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer.”

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,167 posts
  • 120 topics
  • LocationWisconsin

And I know Depp is what brought audiences to the Pirate films, but Geoffrey Rush has been the MVP of this series since AWE, he is just as vital

samsha22

samsha22

Indie Sensation

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationPITTSBURGH
Give it a break...reboot it after 5-6 years with better writers and new actors.

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,761 posts
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

If Johnny Depp doesn't return you light as well make Cutthroat Island 2

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 251 topics
  • LocationLV426
The first three were so special, with characters you would care for, even the viliians. Now the series is going the Indiana Jones, they need to brink back Will and Elizabeth. That will bring people who care about their romance back into seeing these films, which I think was a main reason that OST fell big time DOM.

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • 251 topics
  • LocationLV426
Also, the movie can't just be about Jack, there are other very important characters. Also, Depp's last few films have shown people don't want to see if a film if the film is just marketed as a "Depp" film.

tonytr87

tonytr87

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationDallas, Texas

This right here is the attitude that's ruining Hollywood. 

Edited by tonytr87, 24 July 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Dawn of the Apes - A / The Lego Movie - A / Neighbors - A- / The Rover - A- / X-men: Days of Future Past - A- / Boyhood - B+ / Godzilla - B+ / Captain America: The Winter Soldier - B+ / Under the Skin - B / Guardians of the Galaxy - B / 22 Jump Street - B / Noah - B / Robocop - B- / Transformers: Age of Extinction - B- / TMNT - C+ / Divergent - C+ / That Awkward Moment - C+ / The Amazing Spider-man 2 - C / The Monuments Men - C Maleficent - C  Transcendence - C- / Blended - D+ / Ride Along - D

filmscholar

filmscholar

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Joined February 22, 2012
  • 11 topics
  • LocationNew York City

The funniest part of the whole Pirates 4 fiasco was before it everyone was screaming "Enough with Will and Elizabeth".  After it everyone was screaming "It sucked cause Will and Elizabeth wasn't in it".  LOL.  It's obvious you need the full TEAM to make Pirates work.  I say bring back the Big 3 and they can keep Cruz in it also. 

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda (Jedi GOD)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts
  • 251 topics
  • LocationLV426

The funniest part of the whole Pirates 4 fiasco was before it everyone was screaming "Enough with Will and Elizabeth".  After it everyone was screaming "It sucked cause Will and Elizabeth wasn't in it".  LOL.  It's obvious you need the full TEAM to make Pirates work.  I say bring back the Big 3 and they can keep Cruz in it also. 

Agreed!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users