Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

2014: Will SPIDER-MAN, TRANSFORMERS, or X-MEN Lead the Summer of Tentpoles Without Momentum?

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Summer is halfway over for movie fans. May generated several box office records and June delivered some big hits in the middle of the month. This season has certainly proven top-heavy, though, with May's string of blockbusters overshadowing any other weeks-long time frame on the calendar. It's a hard standard to live up to.

Among enthusiasts, all of this begs the question: what's in store for *next* summer?

The answer is a mixed bag. No summer 2014 releases have debuted trailers as most are still in production. Quality is ultimately king, but built-in interest is key for the success of big-budget franchise movies. The problem is this: after a few summers with stand-out event films far in advance of their release, 2014 seems lacking. For the first time since 2007, there will be no AvengersDark KnightHarry Potter, or Iron Man.

Hindsight is 20/20 but, generally speaking, every year boasts one or more movies widely perceived as "the" film(s) to beat--and it's proven true when they finish among the top two grossers of the summer. 2008 had The Dark Knight and the fourth Indiana Jones. 2009 had the sequel to Transformers and the delayed sixth entry of Harry Potter. The years after were led by aforementioned series. 2014 just doesn't seem to have franchises going in with comparable momentum.

To be fair, next summer does have some high profile franchises on the slate. But are any of them still in their prime?... (more)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ithout-momentum

Edited by ShawnMR, 27 June 2013 - 08:47 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 17,432 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 90 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

Basically Summer 2014 looks like shit.

Do you think Summer 2015 is overshadowing Summer 2014 in anyway? I think so.

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,444 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 111 topics
  • LocationThe North Star State.

I think the Good Dinosaur is going to win summer 2014.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 17,432 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 90 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

You clearly have no knowledge of Box Office Summers.

Nothing is beating the Turtles!

Edited by #ED, 27 June 2013 - 08:52 AM.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 239 topics
  • LocationLV426
Transformers 4 will most likely win next summer.
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 37,458 posts
  • 530 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Fast 7 is going to outgross two of those movies. Good Dinosaur will probably outgross all of them. And I have to say that I am very excited for Godzilla.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- Guardians of the Galaxy - 73/202 | Get On Up - 21/80

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 44/128|Into the Storm - 11/24|Step Up All In - 11/30|The Hundred-Foot Journey - 9/27

- The Expendables 3 - 18/47 | The Giver - 12/27 | Let's Be Cops - 16/22/54

- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 14/32 | If I Stay - 15/40 | When the Game Stands Tall - 9/26

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 17,432 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 90 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

Fast 7 is going to outgross two of those movies. Good Dinosaur will probably outgross all of them. And I have to say that I am very excited for Godzilla.

Isn't Godzilla coming out next month?  :rolleyes:

narniadis

narniadis

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationOklahoma City
I think Pixar takes te crown for the first time since FN.
Not everyone can come up with something cool to put here so quit looking!!

Jake Gittes

Jake Gittes

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationEkaterinburg, Russia

It doesn't look like shit. It looks fascinating, imo.

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

FAVORITE MOVIES

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts
  • 239 topics
  • LocationLV426
Shawn, Godzilla did not flop at box office, just dissapointed! :) (have to defend one of my favorite movies ) great article, keep them coming!
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

kitik

kitik

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2012
  • 25 topics
  • LocationToledo

If you gave me $100 and sent me to Las Vegas right now, I'd bet $70 on TF4 and $30 on TASM2, and zero on everything else.

I really think either TF4 or TASM2 will win the summer.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts
  • 239 topics
  • LocationLV426
I see four potential 300 mil films: Amazing Spider Man 2, Godzilla, Good Dinosaur, Transformers 4. The problem is, three of them are in May!!!!

iJack

iJack

Summer Tentpole

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2012
  • 5 topics
  • LocationEarth 616

If you gave me $100 and sent me to Las Vegas right now, I'd bet $70 on TF4 and $30 on TASM2, and zero on everything else.

I really think either TF4 or TASM2 will win the summer.

That's what I'm thinking, also.

And I do think that TASM2 has more buzz than Shawn is willing to admit in his well written editorial. Online buzz stands very much ironically like MoS2 will stand. Both TASM and now MoS have successfully restabilished these franchises back on track, but it's really a toss up between TASM2 and TF4 for 2014's highest grossing film. 

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts
  • 14 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

I think that it's shaping up to be an incredibly interesting summer to predict, and a very promising summer in terms of quality, but it also looks to consist mostly of 250-300 million grossing films. I'm more optimistic about TF4 than most- don't underestimated the addition of a big star and maybe even better quality. I say it finishes with 320 and wins the summer. 

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,906 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas

I hope for another great Pixar movie and if it is, I will root for this to happen  :wub:

tumblr_n8rv83M1M21s535xbo2_250.gif

ban1o

ban1o

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationCanada

I think that it's shaping up to be an incredibly interesting summer to predict, and a very promising summer in terms of quality, but it also looks to consist mostly of 250-300 million grossing films. I'm more optimistic about TF4 than most- don't underestimated the addition of a big star and maybe even better quality. I say it finishes with 320 and wins the summer. 

promising summer in terns of quality? Besides the animated films what films are you refering too? :P

Punishment

Punishment

Star Wars - The Standard

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 83 topics
  • LocationMichigan

How to Train Your Dragon 2 has a good shot I think

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts
  • 239 topics
  • LocationLV426
Dawn Of the Planet of the Apes, Ban1o!

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts
  • 14 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

promising summer in terns of quality? Besides the animated films what films are you refering too? :P

I loved, loved 21 Jump Street, First Class and ROTPOTA, so those sequels I expect to be pretty great movies. I'm also very bullish on Fast Seven and Godzilla and Jupiter Ascending, and I expect TF4, TASM 2, and Hercules to be solid mid level action movies that the summer needs. 

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

ban1o

ban1o

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationCanada

Dawn Of the Planet of the Apes, Ban1o!

Oh yeah I'm looking forward to that film. I really enjoyed the first one. But tbh, obivously i should wait until trailers but on paper, the summer doesn't really look that promisin quality-wise. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users