Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

THE CONJURING Casts Sleeper Hit Potential

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

It's a bit unusual to look at the third weekend of July and not see a major blockbuster tentpole on the release calendar, but that's exactly the situation next month. In contrast to recent years, the weekend of July 19, 2013 will see the wide release of four new films. One of them, Turbo, opens early on July 17. The other three are Red 2R.I.P.D., and The Conjuring. Guess which one is building the most buzz so far?

Hint: it's not the star- or effects-driven vehicles.

Director James Wan's The Conjuring has slowly been building its case over the last few months. Over the past five days, the supernatural horror has posted a strong 15,834 tweets. That puts it far ahead of the Twitter activity for films like Mama (which hardly tracked on Twitter one month out)Sinister (by 215 percent), and Insidious (by 2,588 percent) at their same pre-release points. In fact, thanks to a surge in buzz over the last couple of days, The Conjuring is even trending ahead of franchise mainstay Paranormal Activity 4 by 51 percent... (more)

Full Article: http://www.boxoffice.com/articles/2013-06-social-network-futures-the-conjuring-casts-sleeper-hit-potential

Edited by ShawnMR, 26 June 2013 - 02:25 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,791 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Shawn, did you just erased Evil Dead and The Purge from history in that article? :lol: Because I am sure both came out after The Last Exorcism Part II. :P

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Shawn, did you just erased Evil Dead and The Purge from history in that article? :lol: Because I am sure both came out after The Last Exorcism Part II. :P

Hah, thanks for catching. Was referring to supernatural horror, which I don't think ED completely falls under the category of (compared to the other supernatural movies used) but I did mean to include it. :)

Purge is more of a straight-up thriller, so I decided not to compare it.

Edited by ShawnMR, 26 June 2013 - 09:41 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

zackzack

zackzack

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts
  • Joined November 23, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationEarth

Seriously...?

TLK

TLK

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 11 topics

July 19 schedule is a mess. I don't know why studios are showing so much deference to Wolverine. IMO, one of the four new releases will benefit by moving to 26th.

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 39,791 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 586 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Hah, thanks for catching. Was referring to supernatural horror, which I don't think ED completely falls under the category of (compared to the other supernatural movies used) but I did mean to include it. :)

It is true, even if it was sold as a horror movie. 

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- John Wick - 14/43 | Ouija - 17/37

- Before I Go To Sleep - 5/12 | Nightcrawler - 7/20

- Big Hero 6 - 67/291 | Interstellar - 78/352

- Dumb and Dumber To - 10/25

tonytr87

tonytr87

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 3 topics
  • LocationDallas, Texas

July 19 schedule is a mess. I don't know why studios are showing so much deference to Wolverine. IMO, one of the four new releases will benefit by moving to 26th.

Agreed. Potential audiences could easily be siphoned away from Wolverine. 

Dawn of the Apes - A / The Lego Movie - A / Neighbors - A- / The Rover - A- / X-men: Days of Future Past - A- / Boyhood - B+ / Godzilla - B+                Edge of Tomorrow - B+ / Captain America: The Winter Soldier - B+ / Gone Girl - B / Under the Skin - B / Guardians of the Galaxy - B / 22 Jump Street - B    Noah - B / Robocop - B- / Transformers: Age of Extinction - B- / TMNT - C+ / Divergent - C+ / That Awkward Moment - C+  

The Amazing Spider-man 2 - C / The Monuments Men - C / Maleficent - C / Dracula Untold - C- / Transcendence - C- Blended - D+ / Ride Along - D

RichWS

RichWS

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,677 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationNew London, CT/Missing NYC

Agreed. Potential audiences could easily be siphoned away from Wolverine. 

Ehh, it's gonna be a one-weekend movie. If Conjuring or Red 2 have good WOM, they'll be fine.

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,297 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 94 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

I fall under the Action category Shawn, just to clarify. ;)

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,764 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,811 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

I hope you are right Shawn.  From everything I've read, this sounds like its the real deal.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

BKB #1

BKB #1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 88 topics
  • LocationEagerly Awaiting The AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON With Less Than 1 Year Away

It sounds really good, but why release something like this in the summer VS October where it belongs is questionable... Surprised they haven't dumped this off in August...

Edited by BKB FAILED, 26 June 2013 - 03:50 PM.

http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users