Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

PACIFIC RIM: Is Summer's Biggest Wild Card Generating Buzz?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,372 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim has long been the topic of discussion around the Internet. One of the biggest questions from some among that community (including our own forums) has been "when is Warner Bros. going to actually start marketing it?"

Now that Man of Steel has solidified its success with a huge opening weekend, you can bet that the studio is about to kick its Pacific Rim campaign into full gear. Wisely so, too, as spending the money to push it too hard early in the middle of a crowded summer market would have been an easy to way to over-spend on an original franchise-hopeful pic.

The studio's focus on spreading word through fan conventions and the so-called "Internet crowd" has been a smart play. Next, they have to escalate things and draw in general audiences (most of whom don't pay attention to a film's ad campaign until the final week or two of release).

So far though, our social network tracking indicates that--at the very least--the genre fan crowd is pumped for del Toro's popcorn flick. Pacific Rim accounted for... (more after the jump)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ffice-wild-card

Edited by ShawnMR, 19 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Boner Omega

Boner Omega

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined December 23, 2011
  • 12 topics
  • LocationCorpus Christi
Very nice article Shawn! It's good to know it is performing pretty well so far.
Follow me @timgoens

Joseph Turner White: How do I do a film called "The Old Mill" if I don't have an old mill?
Ann Black: Well, first you've got to change the title.

reddevil18

reddevil18

Grand Ticklemaster

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 3 topics
  • LocationLondon via Piatra Neamt

Snakes In A Giant Robot.

On-line buzz, no real-life hype...

I think that's the way you go about being all negative-Nancy, no?

outc8n.jpg

Gopher

Gopher

Hail Hydra

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,983 posts
  • 78 topics
If Beaks/McWeeny/Faraci/Sicretta thinks the movie delivers the goods, that's all the hype I need. I need a summer movie to love (besides This Is the End).
1. BOYHOOD 2. THE LEGO MOVIE 3. SNOWPIERCER 4. UNDER THE SKIN 5. THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL 6. ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE 2 7. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 8. EDGE OF TOMORROW 9. LOCKE 10. PALO ALTO

ECSTASY

ECSTASY

Don't Give Up On Your Dreams

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,843 posts
  • 98 topics
  • LocationSouthern California

Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim has long been the topic of discussion around the Internet. One of the biggest questions from some among that community (including our own forums) has been "when is Warner Bros. going to actually start marketing it?"

Now that Man of Steel has solidified its success with a huge opening weekend, you can bet that the studio is about to kick its Pacific Rim campaign into full gear. Wisely so, too, as spending the money to push it too hard early in the middle of a crowded summer market would have been an easy to way to over-spend on an original franchise-hopeful pic.

The studio's focus on spreading word through fan conventions and the so-called "Internet crowd" has been a smart play. Next, they have to escalate things and draw in general audiences (most of whom don't pay attention to a film's ad campaign until the final week or two of release).

So far though, our social network tracking indicates that--at the very least--the genre fan crowd is pumped for del Toro's popcorn flick. Pacific Rim accounted for... (more after the jump)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ffice-wild-card

Well WB needs to kick it into gear.

bcK3U2S.gif

grim22

grim22

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,917 posts
  • Joined June 14, 2012
  • 125 topics

I just saw the WORST possible billboard they could have made for "Pacific Rim" in LA on my drive to work. The billboard by itself is not too bad, it shows a Jaeger fighting a Kaiju with "Pacific Rim" hidden in the corner of the Billboard. However, it is the fact that it is a billboard of a "Robot" type thing fighting a "Dinosaur" type thing in LA that makes it bad and which will cause people not to think twice about it.

Let me explain, Universal Studios Hollywood has 2 rides:

- The transformers ride

- The king kong ride

These have billboards placed at almost exactly the same places that Pac Rim had its new billboards today. And this is what those Billboards look like:

339691140-29171508.jpg

King-Kong-3d_320.jpg

The Pacific Rim billboard is looking like it is promoting a new ride (or worse, the Transformers ride) at Universal Studios.I, knowing about the Pac Rim movie, almost didn't realize it was a billboard for it till I did a double take.

WB needs their outdoor advertising to step it up and differentiate it from 2 theme park rides, at least in LA.

Edited by grim22, 19 June 2013 - 09:16 AM.

U1ZhmzK.gif

ChD

ChD

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2012
  • 59 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

I see this grossing just over 200M... Maybe 210-215.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

DAR

DAR

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,592 posts
  • 119 topics
  • LocationWisconsin

Normally this would be the type of film where I'd say, I have to see that.  But so far nothing from the promotional materials has connected with me.   I still don't see this appealing to the GA, believe me I'd love to be wrong though.

Alpha

Alpha

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,064 posts
  • Joined October 09, 2012
  • 97 topics
  • LocationIn your bedroom. Can you find me?

They did show the Pacific Rim trailer from December at my theater...got a pretty good reaction.

Sad that you're living in your mother's basement on a movie forum? Then pretend you're a winner and join CAYOM!

http://forums.boxoff...f-movies-cayom/

Just kidding, :lol:. But seriously, it's fun. Write your own movies and let your imagination run wild.

MovieMan89

MovieMan89

Summer Tentpole

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts
  • Joined November 17, 2011
  • 5 topics
  • LocationColorado

Snakes In A Giant Robot.

On-line buzz, no real-life hype...

I think that's the way you go about being all negative-Nancy, no?

Yup. The movie does look nerdgasmic though, which I'm all for.

Thank you Bryan Singer for rescuing us from Marc Webb and Gareth Edwards' summer blockbuster wasteland

kitik

kitik

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts
  • Joined July 02, 2012
  • 25 topics
  • LocationToledo

I think I've seen more commercials for this over the last 48 hours than over the previous 6 months.

Seems like marketing has finally started.

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas

I don't see buzz for it around me at all but that's just a tiny sample size, and there's still time for WB marketing machine to kick into high gear.

tumblr_n8rv83M1M21s535xbo2_250.gif

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,090 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
I still see 130-150
Hail Nolan

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,343 posts
  • 111 topics
  • LocationThe North Star State.

I hope this does well. It looks really good. This summer still has yet to have that one great movie, that has great wom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,090 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club

I hope this does well. It looks really good. This summer still has yet to have that one great movie, that has great wom.

Before Midnight :)
Hail Nolan

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,793 posts
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location

I've been saying 140m for ages so I'm gonna stick with it. Not a penny more/less.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,680 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 238 topics
  • LocationLV426
Great article once again, hope this beats up Lone Ranger 'til Disney hurts :)
Want to see read about your favorite box office members fight in deadly battles? Escape from 500 foot monsters? Face greedy dangerous supervillians?Then read the Boxoffice Forums Hunger Games!http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14987-1st-annual-forum-hunger-games-sign-up-now-by-pm/

Hasan Ahmad

Hasan Ahmad

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2011
  • 31 topics
  • LocationSomewhere
Movie has lower buzz than monsters university. According to google trends no one is interested in it

filmnerdjamie

filmnerdjamie

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • 34 topics

Given the subject matter, director with zero familiarity to general public and cast full of lesser/unknowns, things need to get into full gear ASAP. Less than a month to go and I don't sense any buzz outside of the Internet geek circles.

Needs a game-changing trailer to turn the tide. Man of Steel had two trailers this past Spring to sway favor and a Christmas one that impressed. So far, Pacific Rim has had none. I've had a bad feeling about this for the longest and given how close we are to release that feeling hasn't shaken.

ECSTASY

ECSTASY

Don't Give Up On Your Dreams

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,843 posts
  • 98 topics
  • LocationSouthern California

Given the subject matter, director with zero familiarity to general public and cast full of lesser/unknowns, things need to get into full gear ASAP. Less than a month to go and I don't sense any buzz outside of the Internet geek circles.

Needs a game-changing trailer to turn the tide. Man of Steel had two trailers this past Spring to sway favor and a Christmas one that impressed. So far, Pacific Rim has had none. I've had a bad feeling about this for the longest and given how close we are to release that feeling hasn't shaken.

Amen.

bcK3U2S.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users