Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Keeping Box Office Perspective on MAN OF STEEL

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

Warner Bros. is hours away from launching Man of Steel into theaters. As usually happens when a tentpole's release approaches, the line between optimistic and objective expectations becomes blurred in the wake of overreaction. This film is no different.

There are strong arguments for an opening weekend over $100 million (BoxOffice is officially forecasting $115 million), but perspective should be kept.

First and foremost, the studio itself is expecting a debut in the $80-89 million range. Contrary to growing opinion in certain corners of the Internet (and, by extension, the film industry), that would be anything but a disappointing start for the film. Modest when compared to bigger openers, certainly, but it would set a new standard among the reboot sub-genre as none have ever opened to more than $75.2 million (2009's Star Trek) during a three-day weekend.

Granted, there are asterisks to that fact: Trek didn't have 3D to help boost ticket revenue, and more notably, last year's The Amazing Spider-Man opted for a Tuesday release (drastically deflating it's three-day weekend and inflating it's overall multiplier). Batman Begins similarly debuted on a Wednesday in 2005... (more)

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...on-man-of-steel

Edited by ShawnMR, 13 June 2013 - 01:49 PM.

• peludo, Rth, MovieMan89 and 3 others like this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#ED

#ED

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts
  • LocationNew York , NY

After Sunday, Man of Steel has to live or die by its own qualities in the eyes of general audiences. But going into the first few days of release, let's remember that an opening weekend alone isn't the only barometer for a film's entire box office run.

Agreed.

#Hail Nolan

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,014 posts
  • Locationmember of clone club
I think anything over 85 is good
  • #ED likes this
Hail Nolan

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Yeah, a bit too late for this article since now everyone will see an under 100M OW as a disappointment/flop.

Survivor Winner: Season 2 and Season 3!

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,014 posts

Yeah, a bit too late for this article since now everyone will see an under 100M OW as a disappointment/flop.

I wouldn't.
  • baumer likes this
Hail Nolan

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin / Not Zach G.
  • 13,441 posts

That's exactly why this article has never been relevant until now.

Edited by ShawnMR, 13 June 2013 - 01:58 PM.

• Telemachos and #ED like this

Predictions: TASM2 (97/238) | Godzilla (75/239) | DoFP (120 4-day/260)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationToronto

38722613.jpg

Edited by Lordmandeep, 13 June 2013 - 02:00 PM.

• ddddeeee, Talkie, Walt Disney and 2 others like this

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

I wouldn't.

I am predicting an 90M OW right now, but I feel that if it fails to hit 100M I will see it as a disappointment.

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,209 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Under 90m is disappointing to me no matter what people say
  • Talkie, dashrendar44 and Jay Hollywood like this

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,014 posts
What if it did 90/300 how would that be disappointing?
Hail Nolan

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• Topic Moderator
  • 31,868 posts
  • LocationPortugal

What if it did 90/300 how would that be disappointing?

We don't know if WOM is going to be that good.

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationToronto

I still see 100 million but fail to reach 300 

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

dashrendar44

dashrendar44

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts
  • LocationLe Big Mac

Wait? StiD missing 100M was deemed a flop/disappointment (Paramount first would tell you they clearly wish it did better OW with 3D, Imax and inflation)  but MoS missing that 100M bar with all that tremendous hype would not be called a disappointment? :huh:

Edited by dashrendar44, 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• Talkie and Jay Hollywood like this

"

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts
  • LocationCelebrating The End Of The Undertaker's Streak At WM XXX.. That's BEST for Business

Wait? StiD missing 100M was deemed a flop/disappointment (Paramount first would tell you they clearly wish it did better OW with 3D, Imax and inflation)  but MoS missing that 100M bar with all that tremendous hype would not be called a disappointment? :huh:

Don't try and figure that one out.. I'd just let it go and move on.. ;) 

• Talkie likes this
http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationToronto

REVISIONISM!!  :P

• Talkie likes this

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts
  • LocationTexas

Well, you know how our forum works. And the perspective comes in after RT scores too  :P

It's kinda weird though cause there are members who predict 130M+, 150M+, yet saying 90M-100M will not disappoint them?  :huh:

• firedeep, Michael Tyrion Scott, BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK and 6 others like this

7sUPdXU.gif

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationToronto

Well, you know how our forum works. And the perspective comes in after RT scores too  :P

It's kinda weird though cause there are members who predict 130M+, 150M+, yet saying 90M-100M will not disappoint them?  :huh:

Stop making sense, this is a box office forum! 

• firedeep, Catching Robertron, Michael Tyrion Scott and 3 others like this

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

BKB DEFEATS THE STREAK

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts
  • LocationCelebrating The End Of The Undertaker's Streak At WM XXX.. That's BEST for Business

Don't know about everyone else, but I sort of can't wait for this weekend to end and move on to the next movie that hopefully won't result in 1100 plus pages of drama, meltdowns and spins..

• Talkie likes this
http://www.libertypages.com/clark/img/supermanflight.jpg

Michael Tyrion Scott

Michael Tyrion Scott

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,014 posts

Don't know about everyone else, but I sort of can't wait for this weekend to end and move on to the next movie that hopefully won't result in 1100 plus pages of drama, meltdowns and spins..

But it will next up is Thor 2
Hail Nolan

dashrendar44

dashrendar44

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts
  • LocationLe Big Mac

For the past month, I think it would at least clear the 100M OW and I'm still sticking with it but no way around it if it does less (75M-90M), I'd call that a disappointment. That movie was so overhyped everywhere and here especially (those crazy predictions you mentioned) to spin it.

Edited by dashrendar44, 13 June 2013 - 02:26 PM.

• WileECoyote and Sam like this

"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users