Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

2014: Top 10 Opening Weekend Predictions

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

MonstersandRoy

MonstersandRoy

Straight-to-DVD

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined December 28, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationBirmingham

Bet?

Bet that is won't open above $90m. I'll stake some pencil sharpening's.

Edited by MonstersandRoy, 31 December 2013 - 04:18 AM.

Blankments

Blankments

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts
  • Joined June 27, 2012
  • 50 topics
  • LocationIndiana

1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 - 151M

2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 98M

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 92M

4. Transformers: Age of Extinction - 90M

5. The Hobbit: There and Back Again - 87M

6. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 81M

7. X-Men: Days of Future Past - 79M

8. Godzilla - 78M

9. Interstellar - 75M

10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 65M

RadioCity

RadioCity

Straight-to-DVD

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined December 31, 2013
  • 0 topics
HG:MJ -150m
Transformers: AOE - 130M
TASM 2 - 120M
DoFP - 85M
HTTYD 2 - 80M
The Hobbit: TABA- 77M
Interstellar - 75M
WS - 70M
Godzilla - 65 M
Malefcent - 60M

---------------------------

GoTG 55 M

Edited by RadioCity, 31 December 2013 - 04:42 PM.

The Panda

The Panda

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts
  • Joined October 06, 2013
  • 56 topics

1.The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - 172m

2.The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 115m

3.Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 98m

4.Trans4mers - 87m

5.How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 84m

6.The Hobbit: There and Back Again - 82m

7.X-Men: Days of Future Past - 78m

8.Godzilla - 78m

9.Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 76m

10.The Fault in Our Stars - 72m  :ph34r:

Interstellar over Mockingjay Pt 1 Club!

(http://forums.boxoff...e/#entry1595706)

stripe

stripe

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 2 topics
  • LocationLonely Mtn

4.Trans4mers - 87m

8.Godzilla - 78m

I've already heard some hype around this. I also have a feeling this will breakout big...

Edited by stripe, 31 December 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Mango

Mango

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationGeorgia

1.) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I - $156 million

2.) Transformers: AoE - $93 million

3.) Captain America: TWS - $84 million

4.) Interstellar - $82 million

5.) The Hobbit: TABA - $81 million

6.) Godzilla - $78 million

7.) How to Train Your Dragon 2 - $78 million

8.) Guardians of the Galaxy - $75 million

9.) Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $72 million

10.) X-Men: DoFP - $68 million

Wormy

Wormy

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationPanem, Australia

1. Mockingjay Part 1 ($165M) 

2. Divergent ($110M)

3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($105M)

4. Godzilla ($100M)

5.How To Train Your Dragon ($92M)

6. Interstellar ($90M)

7. X-Men ($89M)

8. The Hobbit ($88M)

9. Transformers ($85M)

10. Captain America ($80M)

tumblr_mzrh55xwGl1rp0vjjo2_250.gif

Lawsbian

Lawsbian

Straight-to-DVD

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined December 31, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationCanada

1. Mockingjay Part 1 ($165M) 

2. Divergent ($110M)

3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($105M)

4. Godzilla ($100M)

5.How To Train Your Dragon ($92M)

6. Interstellar ($90M)

7. X-Men ($89M)

8. The Hobbit ($88M)

9. Transformers ($85M)

10. Captain America ($80M)

Really like your huge predictions for both Mockingjay Part I and Divergent. I really see Divergent breaking out! Maybe not on the same level as The Hunger Games back in March 2012, but nonetheless, I really see it being quite big!  :)

MovieMan89

MovieMan89

Summer Tentpole

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,580 posts
  • Joined November 17, 2011
  • 5 topics
  • LocationColorado

SM2 - That would be a lower OD than TASM and that opened on a Tuesday.

That is high for Godzilla.

TF4 - 1M more than TF3 and that opened on a Wednesday. So you must be thinking 34M-35M OD.

TASM 2's buzz has seemed minimal thus far, the first didn't make much of an impact either good or bad, and the first trailer is bad. So I don't see the movie making much more than 200 domestically, if even that. I have Godzilla as the big breakout for next summer so I'm going high for that. TF4 will likely follow a Pirates 4 pattern based on the similar patterns the two series have had in the past.

Thank you Bryan Singer for rescuing us from Marc Webb and Gareth Edwards' summer blockbuster wasteland

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,284 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 53 topics
  • LocationMichigan

TASM 2's buzz has seemed minimal thus far, the first didn't make much of an impact either good or bad, and the first trailer is bad. So I don't see the movie making much more than 200 domestically, if even that. I have Godzilla as the big breakout for next summer so I'm going high for that. TF4 will likely follow a Pirates 4 pattern based on the similar patterns the two series have had in the past.

Lol letting personal opinions get in way of predictions

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 37,404 posts
  • 626 topics

Accept the bet?

http://forums.boxoff...only/?p=1198635

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

MovieMan89

MovieMan89

Summer Tentpole

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,580 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationColorado

Lol letting personal opinions get in way of predictions

Not really. Saying TASM didn't have much of an impact domestically is not really a personal opinion. Especially considering the mammoth success all of the original trilogy was. I would be shocked if TASM2 goes any higher than 100 OW. The beginning of May is not an automatic guarantee of a record breaker. Wolverine only grossed $85m in that spot. And that was coming off a similar grossing film as TASM 1.

As far as Transformers, I've pointed out before the similar domestic box office patterns the trilogy had to the Pirates trilogy, so it only makes sense that pattern would continue. 100/250 is a reasonable expectation for it.

I'm taking a risk with Godzilla for sure, but the teaser generated a ton of buzz, it's not just like I'm the only one who liked it. Again, I can see it being the breakout of the summer.

Thank you Bryan Singer for rescuing us from Marc Webb and Gareth Edwards' summer blockbuster wasteland

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,284 posts
  • 53 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Not really. Saying TASM didn't have much of an impact domestically is not really a personal opinion. Especially considering the mammoth success all of the original trilogy was. I would be shocked if TASM2 goes any higher than 100 OW. The beginning of May is not an automatic guarantee of a record breaker. Wolverine only grossed $85m in that spot. And that was coming off a similar grossing film as TASM 1.

As far as Transformers, I've pointed out before the similar domestic box office patterns the trilogy had to the Pirates trilogy, so it only makes sense that pattern would continue. 100/250 is a reasonable expectation for it.

I'm taking a risk with Godzilla for sure, but the teaser generated a ton of buzz, it's not just like I'm the only one who liked it. Again, I can see it being the breakout of the summer.

Comparing a Spider man fill to Wolverine? Ok like I said personal opinions getting in the way

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 37,404 posts
  • 626 topics

Only 85M and Wolverine is not SM. What movie was Wolverine coming off that was like TASM?  Again like many here a big difference between AWE/ TF3. So an unknown (non-sequel) will surpass a movie that made 260M+/700M+

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

MovieMan89

MovieMan89

Summer Tentpole

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,580 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationColorado

Comparing a Spider man fill to Wolverine? Ok like I said personal opinions getting in the way

Well X-Men 3 sold significantly more tickets than TASM and taking out 3D TASM wouldn't be that far ahead of Origins, so how is that such a bad comparison?

Hiccup

Hiccup

Summer Tentpole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,231 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 60 topics
  • LocationLa Crosse WI

4.Trans4mers - 87m

8.Godzilla - 78m

I think I would die with shock if these opened that high. 

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the most well-written and visually spectacular film of 2014.

9.75/10

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,284 posts
  • 53 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Well X-Men 3 sold significantly more tickets than TASM and taking out 3D TASM wouldn't be that far ahead of Origins, so how is that such a bad comparison?

Because Wolverine is a spin off and X men series is not SM. Also letting personal opinions of film and trailer color judgment

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 37,404 posts
  • 626 topics

Origins was a spinoff movie and obviously going to do less than the X-Men franchise movies. If you consider 2.1M considerable you are right, I guess. TASM was a reboot so its a given will do less than the OT and X3 only managed 2.1M more considering not so good.

Do you accept the bet?

VII Predictions

MovieMan89

MovieMan89

Summer Tentpole

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,580 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationColorado

Because Wolverine is a spin off and X men series is not SM. Also letting personal opinions of film and trailer color judgment

But we all know Origins essentially acted like the sequel to The Last Stand from a box office perspective. Jackman is the draw of the franchise. I doubt if X-Men 4 had happened in that same release slot it would have opened much better.

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• 37,404 posts
  • 626 topics

But we all know Origins essentially acted like the sequel to The Last Stand from a box office perspective. Jackman is the draw of the franchise. I doubt if X-Men 4 had happened in that same release slot it would have opened much better.

Sequel go forward and last I checked Origins was set pre-X3 you are looking for the word prequel.

VII Predictions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users