Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Over/Under The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Domestic)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

filmnerdjamie

filmnerdjamie

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 34 topics

We all remember the “Hobbit will hit $400 million!” proclamations. Then reality settled in and the tune changed to “Floppit.” Word of mouth and reviews were generally mixed and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey became the lowing grossing Lord of the Rings film stateside. Practically limped to $300M domestic (considering the 3D/IMAX bumps it had that the original Rings trilogy didn't) and when it did $1 billion worldwide, there seemed to be a "Whatever" reaction compared to the same $1B+ grosses for The Avengers, Skyfall and The Dark Knight Rises.

As the marketing officially kicks off this weekend (the trailer will be in front of Man of Steel), its time to ask if the box-office receipts will increase, decrease or stay the same for The Desolation of Smaug.

12 years ago (And it feels weird saying that!), we were all pumped to see the story continue from the closing moments of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Home video sales, along with the Extended Edition DVDs, exploded keeping the franchise in the conversation during the year long downtime.

Nowhere near the same excitement… or hype… or even regular awareness at this point in time for Smaug like there was for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Jackson and WB banked on catching lightning in a bottle twice. And it feels like this time they’re gonna get struck by lightning instead come December, at least stateside.

Edited by filmnerdjamie, 08 June 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 31,304 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 685 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles
At the moment, I see it either dipping slightly or rising slightly. Say $295-310m range. So I'm in and out, simultaneously. :P

Edited by Telemachos, 08 June 2013 - 03:13 PM.

FdxX0OJ.png

No Lumps No Bumps | Two Good Eyes | Piss OK Genitals Intact | Multiple Scars Heals Fast | O-Negative Hi Octane | Universal Donor | Lone Road Warrior Rundown | The Powder Lakes (No) | Psychotic | Muzzled

Disturbingly, Noctis predicted my son's birthday.

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
Can't judge yet
Hail Nolan

kowhite

kowhite

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts
  • Joined December 24, 2011
  • 1 topics
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm with Telemachos...I could see it going up, but it's gonna be in the same ballpark as the first one. Ill officially be on the over side of the fence though. If for no reason I think this'll be a more appealing film.

baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 42,022 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,804 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

Down.  270 mill.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Blockbuster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts
  • Joined November 19, 2011
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida

Over.

Jawa

Jawa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • 1 topics
  • LocationChicago

Under. The novelty of Middle Earth's return to the big screen will be gone, and as it isn't the finale, it won't see a bump. Think Attack of the Clones, but a smaller drop.

Edited by Jawa, 08 June 2013 - 04:27 PM.

gooby pls

luxneji

luxneji

Straight-to-DVD

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined November 19, 2011
  • 0 topics

i think i will open about the same and WOM will determine if it goes up or down, if it is mixed it will go to 270 

August 2014 complete movie analysis and trailers : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuC7V0leGq

Noctis

Noctis

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,631 posts
  • 113 topics
  • LocationThe Room of Requirement

Under. Even with the dragon, it's going to fight mixed WOM from The Hobbit 1 and the fact that it's the middle chapter will only hurt it. 

And unlike 2012, 2013 is going to have a lot more appealing films in the winter. Catching Fire and Thor target similar enough demographics that it's really going to put a dent in TH2.

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 31,304 posts
  • 685 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Under. Even with the dragon, it's going to fight mixed WOM from The Hobbit 1 and the fact that it's the middle chapter will only hurt it. 

And unlike 2012, 2013 is going to have a lot more appealing films in the winter. Catching Fire and Thor target similar enough demographics that it's really going to put a dent in TH2.

Both CF and THOR 2 open a month earlier. They won't dent TH2 any more than IM3 hurt MOS.

FdxX0OJ.png

No Lumps No Bumps | Two Good Eyes | Piss OK Genitals Intact | Multiple Scars Heals Fast | O-Negative Hi Octane | Universal Donor | Lone Road Warrior Rundown | The Powder Lakes (No) | Psychotic | Muzzled

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,761 posts
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan

Those films open before Hobbit. Thor by more than a Month

Noctis

Noctis

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,631 posts
  • 113 topics
  • LocationThe Room of Requirement

Both CF and THOR 2 open a month earlier. They won't dent TH2 any more than IM3 hurt MOS.

They will. You satisfy certain audiences enough, and their chances of coming out to see another film is less. 

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 31,304 posts
  • 685 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles
I don't particularly buy that, especially for such fairly entrenched fan bases.

FdxX0OJ.png

John Marston

John Marston

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,761 posts
  • 56 topics
  • LocationMichigan
Waiting for trailer. Leaning towards over. Also the negative WOM for first Hobbit is very exaggerated

Edited by Robert Muldoon, 08 June 2013 - 05:03 PM.

CoolioD1

CoolioD1

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,071 posts
  • 63 topics
  • LocationLocation Location
Around 280m, I should think.

Chewy

Chewy

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined February 04, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationVirginia

Exactly the same amount, to the cent

iNmEH.gif

riczhang

riczhang

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationAround the World
I'm thinking more. It's got a fucking dragon, and the story has finally hit the exciting parts. Let's be honest here, TH1 barely got through any story and the parts it did get through aren't particularly exciting. And inflation will help; when it'll be this close every little bit matters.

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,373 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Under, but it's very early and that's mostly based on the fact that it's the middle part of a trilogy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 38,163 posts
  • 632 topics

Under. The novelty of Middle Earth's return to the big screen will be gone, and as it isn't the finale, it won't see a bump. Think Attack of the Clones, but a smaller drop.

But AUJ didn't set the box office on fire like TPM did.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

Talkie

Talkie

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Joined May 08, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationStark Tower

Over.

The whole "Floppit" meme is a phenomenon of this board and does not reflect the reaction of the general audience, or reality, frankly. The first movie did not get mixed or bad WOM, as shown by its 84% audience approval rating on RT. Critical reaction was mixed, but that certainly didn't hinder the film from reaching $300M/$1B. The vast majority of viewers enjoyed the first and will be back for the second. It will likely increase slightly both domestically overseas. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users