Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Social Network Futures: Will MONSTERS UNIVERSITY & WORLD WAR Z Offer Something for Everyone on 6/21?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,375 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...ity-world-war-z

If you think you're experiencing déjà vu, don't worry. Nearly every summer sees one weekend where a high-profile animated flick goes up against a would-be live-action blockbuster. That kind of strategic counter-programming has worked well for duos such as 2008'sWall-E Wanted and 2011's The Hangover Part II Kung Fu Panda 2.

Conversely, it doesn't always work: see the disappointing performance of last year's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter when it opened against Pixar's Brave. Ditto for 2010 when Toy Story 3's monster numbers overshadowed the disastrous Jonah Hex.

The pendulum may be swinging back in favor of two successes coming to fruition, though. 2013's key June match-up arrives with Pixar's Monsters University and Brad Pitt's World War Zdebuting on Friday, June 21. Our five-day tracking period four weeks out from their openings indicates big potential... (more)

Edited by ShawnMR, 29 May 2013 - 01:23 PM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

narniadis

narniadis

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 3 topics
  • LocationOklahoma City
Good analysis - I am not one to jump on the MU is gonna disappoint train but I do fear that DM2 will overshadow its legs in the long run.
Not everyone can come up with something cool to put here so quit looking!!

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,375 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 462 topics

Good analysis - I am not one to jump on the MU is gonna disappoint train but I do fear that DM2 will overshadow its legs in the long run.

Thanks, narniadis. I have to admit, it's a hard battle to predict. I've been convinced about DM2, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,884 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 128 topics
  • LocationPilipinas
That's really good for MU. Way ahead of BRAVE.

happyphilippines.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users