Cinebrate-web-banner-728x90

• Start New Topic
Welcome to the BoxOffice® Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in. Please note that forum accounts are separate from BoxOffice.com subscriber accounts.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The AVENGERS Bump: What Do THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA Sequels Stand to Gain in the Wake of IRON MAN 3?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,380 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 463 topics

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...e-avengers-bump

As the industry watches the incredible global success of Iron Man 3, we now know that last year's phenomenal reception of The Avengers had a big hand in increasing the domestic and overseas appeal of another Tony Stark-led sequel.

For instance, 2010's Iron Man 2 took in $312.1 million stateside and $310 million in foreign markets. With the triple-whammy combo of increased Avengers interest, further expanding markets, and premium 3D prices, Iron Man 3 is already at $506 million overseas--and counting.

With a clear path toward at least $1.1 billion worldwide (and likely more), Iron Man 3 is setting a high standard for the next Marvel Cinematic Universe installments.

None will be tested sooner than Thor: The Dark World, releasing this November... (more)

Edited by ShawnMR, 07 May 2013 - 09:17 AM.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

ChD

ChD

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2012
  • 59 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

Thor will also increase, but no the way Iron Man did. I see around 200M increase, to finish just around 650M WW.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

Neo

Neo

Global Phenomenon

• Archives & News Manager
  • 38,924 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 640 topics

A lot. Both dare I say are locks for 100M OW/300M+ Not quite there for CAP2, but Thor 2 sure am. Need to see more of CAP2 before I get over 100M/300M+ One thing is certain though the future looks bright for Marvel.

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office

VII Predictions

Unless Cameron offers SMELL-O-VISION with AVATAR 2, It's not doing more than 400M Plus ..  And YES, I'll bet AVATAR 2 doesn't do more than at best 425M Domestic

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Thor 2 will gain enormously because of Loki popularity. he was the breakout of TA and is #1 with women.

Cap should get a bump too but I didn`t care for the first movie so I don`t know what fandom is like,etc. Thor fandom, OTOH, is the one I follow because of Thorki and Hiddlesworth and it`s completely crazy. It grew so much you wouldn`t believe it.

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

Heretic

Heretic

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,459 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationLondon

Thor will see a massive increase, because Loki, and Thor himself have become hugely popular since. Can't say the same for Captain America really, but it'll probably see a bump, though not as pronounced as IM3's has been, and what Thor's will be.

''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.''

Lordmandeep

Lordmandeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,331 posts
  • Joined March 24, 2012
  • 35 topics
  • LocationToronto

Thor 2 will likely fly past 200 million domestic.

3D prices help IM3 but Im3 looks like it would have crossed 1 billion even without 3D if it lands near 1.2 billion.

The only recent films to have actually made a billion without 3D are TDK, Avatar, DH2 and TA and TDKR...

Edited by Lordmandeep, 07 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

THE DARK PRINCE

vegeta.gif

ChD

ChD

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • 59 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

Thor 2 will likely fly past 200 million domestic.

3D prices help IM3 but Im3 looks like it would have crossed 1 billion even without 3D if it lands near 1.2 billion.

Nah... The 3D share of it's OW was around 50%. It's going to drop with upcoming weekends, but I don't think It would've crossed 950M without 3D. Maybe not even 900M WW.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

yeah, people should stop underestimating Thor. It`s going to blow up.

TheAlmightySosa

TheAlmightySosa

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Joined October 31, 2012
  • 0 topics
  • LocationLondon
What about skyfall lordmandeep?

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Box Office Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

I think any thing Avengers related (except GOTG) is bound to have a huge increase.  Look, a massive, massive number of people saw and loved the Avengers, sometimes multiple times. And just thinking about it logically, I don't see why such a large audience that loved these characters in TA would see their solo films coming out, and say "eh, I'll skip it."  Everybody knows and loves Thor and CA now because of Avengers, so why would enough of that audience blow off their solo films for them not to increase significantly?  Thor is going to jump alot because of Hemsworth's popularity (I do think the Hiddleston popularity is a bit overstated on here), and CA gained alot of female and kid fans, too. The Avengers effect has to be real. 

IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,273 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina

Thor will also increase, but no the way Iron Man did. I see around 200M increase, to finish just around 650M WW.

Come on ! Only 200M WW increase ? Just no way !

Sam

Sam

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,426 posts
  • Joined March 05, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationTexas

Thor 2 will gain enormously because of Loki popularity. he was the breakout of TA and is #1 with women.

Cap should get a bump too but I didn`t care for the first movie so I don`t know what fandom is like,etc. Thor fandom, OTOH, is the one I follow because of Thorki and Hiddlesworth and it`s completely crazy. It grew so much you wouldn`t believe it.

Cap's fandom is more fanboy-driven than Thor, but not by much. Cap is really popular with the females as well cause of Chris Evans and the Stony stuff. Surprisingly, Cap's female fans are more quiet and calm compare to his fanboys who rage about every freaking small thing  :lol:

Posted Image

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Yeha, 200M increase OS alone is a given plus 100M dom. at least.

Edited by fishnets, 07 May 2013 - 09:28 AM.

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,273 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina

Nah... The 3D share of it's OW was around 50%. It's going to drop with upcoming weekends, but I don't think It would've crossed 950M without 3D. Maybe not even 900M WW.

IM3 would certainly pass 1B without 3D. Its overal scale is just there.

ChD

ChD

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • 59 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

Yea... Honestly we can't know for sure if it's going to act the same way it did for Iron Man. He was like the main character in the Avengers and universally loved. We don't really know how much people like the secondary characters, and if they're going to turn up to their movies just for doing a few jokes in the background.

35c3g42.jpg

#ED

#ED

A few months from now...

• Junior Moderator
  • 18,331 posts
  • Joined July 24, 2012
  • 96 topics
  • LocationNew York , NY

Does anyone think that some of the GA went to see IM3 in hopes of Avengers cameo? I

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,273 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina

Yeha, 200M increase OS alone is a given plus 100M dom. at least.

Yup, 800M WW is the floor for TDW.

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Hems did well outside of Thor since CitW, Red Dawn and SWATH (that had polarizing KStew factor) opened respectably for their type of a movie. So drawing power is there and this is his identifying character.

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,273 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina

Yea... Honestly we can't know for sure if it's going to act the same way it did for Iron Man. He was like the main character in the Avengers and universally loved. We don't really know how much people like the secondary characters, and if they're going to turn up to their movies just for doing a few jokes in the background.

Look, here we are back to stage of Iron Man and his Z-list friends again  ....

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

Yeha, IM is an A List now and Z-list friendns are B-list after Phase 1 and TA. Thor will enter A-list after Thor 2 performance. Done and done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users